Here's A Sjpecial Little Gem Of A TUNER

Gilbert

I went through the labor of reading all of the reviews on FMtunerinfo.com and checking every tuner on ebay. I did this for a few weeks. I really wanted a Sansui because they got great reviews and look cool, but they don't have a remote and prices are sky high (like $1,000 for the 919). The problem with FMtunerinfo is that they do not review tuners from the 90's or newer.

Then I just bought a used Rotel tuner on ebay with a remote for $100. The previous owner of my house had a dish tv system and installed one of those big old fashion tv antennas in he attic above the garage and wired the house for it (we have an association and CC&R's, can't mount it on the roof - not that I would want to, its big and ugly). I hooked it up to the Rotel and it sounds great and pulls in every channel with ease. Not as good as upsampled CD's, but still very good, and $100 to boot with a remote. A remote is very important with a tuner because of the need to change the channel easily.

Chris

Who would spend that kind of money to listen to the garbage that they play on terrestrial radio! Not to mention the poor sound quality 40Hz-15Khz tops, and the fact that the FCC has disregarded the right to free speech amendments and now dictates what they say is decent.

Spend the $250 plus $142 for the subscription to "Sirius" or "XM" and don't look back, no modding required, better sound quality, and endless commercial free entertainment. FM Radio will soon go the way of the 8-track tape.

Who would spend that kind of money to listen to the garbage that they play on terrestrial radio!

FM Radio will soon go the way of the 8-track tape.

The local stations around the Tulsa area are perfect for both Denise (my wife) and I. 88.7 is my Classical Sta., 94.1 is kicked back 70's, 96.5 is your sister contempory country, 97.5 the famous KMOD, Phil and Brent are a riot, 101.5 Excellent Jazz & Classical stuff, then there's 102.5 and 103.3 for the contempory stuff. All kick butt stations. Commercials, sure...some entertainting, some not, but hey, it keeps my music free. And if I had a decent Antenna, I could dial-in to the Big D Dallas, Tx's stations, or even Kansas City or possibly St. Louis.

I guess up where your at, surrounded by mountains, it would be difficult to have any kind of decent reception. Or maybe the local stations in Burlington just plain suck.

But over here, it's kickass good FM. Hopefully, FM radio will not go the way of the Betamax or 8 track, but I must confess,... I thought, that very same thought the day I bought my first vehicle with XM. But then again, as long as there are people willing to pay for commercial broadcast, and as long as there are people like me, that enjoy listening to free music...... FM will continue long after you and I are 10 ft. below.

Where XM really shines (IMHO) is on a long haul. My minivan rental for the SanDiego trip had XM, and boy it came in handy. Even though I bought a bunch of my CD's, I still jambed out to XM most of the time.

EDIT: ADDED 10min. LATER

It seems ebays, "cpalle" feels that tuner is worth the sum of about $4000. Damn, I'm jealous.

Who would spend that kind of money to listen to the garbage that they play on terrestrial radio! Not to mention the poor sound quality 40Hz-15Khz tops, and the fact that the FCC has disregarded the right to free speech amendments and now dictates what they say is decent.

Spend the $250 plus $142 for the subscription to "Sirius" or "XM" and don't look back, no modding required, better sound quality, and endless commercial free entertainment. FM Radio will soon go the way of the 8-track tape.

GREAT FM here in Chicago. Our classical station, WFMT (98.7) has better sound quality than many of my cds, and very very good hosts. Our local NPR has a superb jazz show on Sundays hosted by Dick Buckley, and the local college radio is a blast. XRT (93.1) isn't too shabby either.

I agree that the corporate owned radio is not very good (with respect to music or quality - XRT being an exception), but I could never give up the tuner. HEck, I bet I use it for 60% of my listening.

Who would spend that kind of money to listen to the garbage that they play on terrestrial radio!

FM Radio will soon go the way of the 8-track tape.

The local stations around the Tulsa area are perfect for both Denise (my wife) and I. 88.7 is my Classical Sta., 94.1 is kicked back 70's, 96.5 is your sister contempory country, 97.5 the famous KMOD, Phil and Brent are a riot, 101.5 Excellent Jazz & Classical stuff, then there's 102.5 and 103.3 for the contempory stuff. All kick butt stations. Commercials, sure...some entertainting, some not, but hey, it keeps my music free. And if I had a decent Antenna, I could dial-in to the Big D Dallas, Tx's stations, or even Kansas City or possibly St. Louis.

I guess up where your at, surrounded by mountains, it would be difficult to have any kind of decent reception. Or maybe the local stations in Burlington just plain suck.

But over here, it's kickass good FM. Hopefully, FM radio will not go the way of the Betamax or 8 track, but I must confess,... I thought, that very same thought the day I bought my first vehicle with XM. But then again, as long as there are people willing to pay for commercial broadcast, and as long as there are people like me, that enjoy listening to free music...... FM will continue long after you and I are 10 ft. below.

Where XM really shines (IMHO) is on a long haul. My minivan rental for the SanDiego trip had XM, and boy it came in handy. Even though I bought a bunch of my CD's, I still jambed out to XM most of the time.

EDIT: ADDED 10min. LATER

It seems ebays, "cpalle" feels that tuner is worth the sum of about $4000. Damn, I'm jealous.

Well Hells-Bells Gilbert,

If I could pick up KMOD, Roy D, Greek Theater, Dick Lexiea, and last but not least.......the boys from Gaywatch.....I'd spend $ for a tuner too[:D][:D][:D]

Terry

I've mentioned this before, but here in the SF Bay area we have FM 91.1 (90.7 in Sonoma Co.) KCSM, a PBS station out of the College of San Mateo plays 24 hours a day of commercial free - straight ahead, REAL jazz - no "smooth jazz" - no Kenny G - EVER.

Duke, Monk, Bird, and all the best. Sound quality is excellent.

If you have a high speed internet connection, its available anywhere in the world at kcsm.com. Check it out & pledge. Keep jazz alive.

James