"Fan(s) Memo to Music Industry: Lower Prices"

3dzapper

What I don't understand is how I can buy a concert DVD of and artist for not much more than a CD of theirs would cost? And lets's face it, on the DVD I get superior (theoretically at least) sound quality, the production costs are SIGNIFICANTLY higher, and you get more songs per disc.

It's a very rare day when I buy a new CD.

Tom

That is EXACTLY why I have not bought a new CD for myself in more than three years. I have bought them as gifts, and I buy used for myself. When I look at the value proposition of a two hour movie for $14 or a forty minute CD for $18, the movie wins every time.

As far as I am concerned, a normal length CD is worth $12.

• Moderators

In the last two years we have purchased three CDs, the rest of our music is in DVD concert format. The three CDs we purchased and the reasons purchased: George Thorogood-Thirty Years of Rock, will probably never be released on DVD. Los Lonely Boys- theDVD came out two weeks later(how were we to know) Van Morrison-Moondance, will probably never be released on DVD. Got a couple of CDs for gifts for Christmas, however I don't think we will be purchasing many.

Yes indeed, the CD prices are way too high..... and oddly, they seem to be going even higher.

When I first started buying consumer video tapes (even before the rental industry) they retailed for $80-$150 in 1970's dollars and were atrocious quality. Now the DVD equivalent is $15 or so some have astronomical quality and features in comparison to consumer video tapes.

When CD's first came out, they were selling for $15-$20 in 1980's dollars and early quality ran the gamut. They are still in the same range, quality still runs the gamut, and most manufacturers don't even bother to use features like CD text to take advantage of modern players. Of course, a dollar is worth a bit less now. However, in comparison with DVD's of movies that cost $10,000,000 to $75,000,000 to produce, an $18 CD that cost $50,000 to produce is a JOKE.

No wonder people are stealing the music. $18 for a disk with two good songs on it. If the music industry wants to sell their product, they need to follow the lead of the movie industry and get the prices down to where the average person would rather buy the disk than rent or borrow it. That means about $6-$10 for music.

I have brought about 25 CDs in the past 3 months on line for an avg price of $10.50 minus SH. About 40% are SACD/HACD/DVAs which brings the price up. I have not brought a CD/ another digital format at a brick and mortar store in years, its a rip. Examples you may have heard of: Wall to Wall, Coconuts Sam Goody, Borders, etc; bag em they suck.

Bought 3 CD's tonight. $48 including tax and I get a 10% discount because I buy anywhere from 3-6 per week.

I am buying from an independent store and the owner is worried about being around this time next year.

I agree prices are high and it's hard to find good music.

Tonight I bought:

Whiskeytown- Faithless Street

Jimmy Thackery- The essential

The Tatum Group Masterpieces- Vol 8

Just looking at the new releases for this week there wasn't much I was just dying to add to my collection.

Danny

I love Jimmy T.

And thanks Duke for not jumping me for not going to www.cdbaby.com for my purchases.

If my local guy disappears, which i hope never happens, i will be using www.cdbaby.com

Danny

CDBaby ....

won't have Jimmy T...... he's got a record deal ...

they have Self-Recorded Artists only .....

kinda like the old MP3.com, the first to do that

yes, and the Artist gets Most of the money ...

Bravo , for keppin' yer local guy in the loop ....

'round here, the big one, Record Archive .... just shrank in half ...

...........partly due to the crappy music for sale these days ....leads to a inventory of used crappy music for sale

Although i agree that CD's are overpriced (cassettes sold for

significantly less than CDs when both were available several years ago)

but I'm not sure about the survey's reliability, given we don't know

the age spread of the people questionned.

Ipsos' telephone poll of 1,000 adults,

including 963 music listeners, from all states except Alaska and Hawaii

was conducted Jan. 23-25 and has a sampling error margin of plus or

minus 3 percentage points...

Rock 'n' roll

is the most popular style of music, cited by 26 percent of the fans. It

runs neck-and-neck with country among fans ages 35 or over. Rap

music is the source of the biggest generation gap. Among fans under

age 35, 18 percent called rap or hip-hop their favorite style of music,

the poll found. Only 2 percent of people ages 35 and over said the same

thing.

This gives me the impression this survey was a mid afternoon phone

survey, a good time to catch house wives... but not target clients.

I have brought about 25 CDs in the past 3 months on line for an avg price of $10.50 minus SH.

That's a pretty good average... esp if they aren't "Pop" albums.

I'm currently having a problem finding a new, inexpensive Canadian

e-tailer... seems that all the good deals have vanished in the

last year or two.

Anything non-mainstream music sells for about double the mainstream

here (22$cnd vs 11$cnd). DVD's are the inverse with oldies

selling for as low as 10$cnd and popular new releases selling for 25$

ROb

Though not the same case as with popular music...it's well to remember that most classical issues never make a profit. I don't know any living classical artist that could live on CD revenues alone, it's touring what brings in the money, guv.

The music business is like any other business now...the bottom line is the bottom line, and artistic freedom means pandering to garbage; corporate responsibility means accepting warning labels that are a joke,

and making money is the vision statement, and to hell with artists and fans.

We buy almost all our popular music via iTunes so we can pick and choose the songs we like. OTOH, if there is a classical or world music CD we discover, we have no prob paying up to $25 if the recording exceptional.

There are very few DVD Audio mixes of pop that we will buy now...most we've bought are dreadful, the Revenge of Quad with idiotic mixing.