KT88 Goldlions versus 6550 TungSols

Gilbert

The amp, a pair of sonically identical MC60's. The preamp is my C22. All mac gear recently overhauled by our very own Craig, aka NosValves.

The goldlions are nos originals, with the old style gold and red boxes, and brown bakelite material. They are solid black plate, triple getter style. I don't know the year, but they all share the same production code.

The tungsols are vintage 50's, solid black plate and single top getter. All identical codes.

I've been listened to both quads for the past month, and although they both sound great. I'd have to give the nod to the TungSol's. Especially when it comes to R&B, Blues and Rock & Roll. The tungsol's just kick the crap out of the genalex's.

However, before you start asking me if I'm willing to sell them, I must say NO! Not until I've sampled them in Craigs VRD's. After which, I'll decide what I want to do with them.

1 Quad of Vintage NOS TungSol 6550 ($300 to $400+)

1 Quad of Vintage NOS GoldLion KT88 ($2000+)

So, IMHO, the genalex cream of the crop power tube just didn't do it for me. Vocals seemed to be stained, or to an extremely slight degree, muffled. Sort of like someone singing through linen cloth. Oh, they are highly musical, no doubt, but give me the TungSols for my MC60's.

hi,

I read on other forums that the price of the Gold Lions is too high for

the performance given. I have the Tung Sol solid gray plates which are

highly regarded and imho a great tube. The best prices I've

seen are about 600.00 a quad.

Amazingly, the JJ Telsa KT88's to my ears are just as good and far less money. A great tube and a great bargin.

Larry

Cost aside,......In my gear, and for my music taste.....I wasn't impressed. Not at all, I was actually really bummed out, because I expected sparks to fly out of those speakers, and my ear's to turn to gold. [:'(]

2 years ago, after getting my first tube gear, a pair of MC60's, I started stocking-up on nos TungSol 6550's. And, today, I've accumulated quite alott of them. about 16+ (4 solid quads), all vintage black plates. I've got quads with single, double and triple gettering. All shiny nos, and I've never appreciated them more, than I do right now.

And yet, even after accumulating all these tungsol's, I've always had the the thought that the goldlions were the power tube to have. The Mother of all power tubes was the GoldLion or Gold Monarch's, or so I use to think. So, I finally bit the bullet when a minty looking identical quad of them popped up. Now, today, .....well, unless they really shine in my new VRD's (yet to be built), back off to ebay they will go.

At that time, I'll also probably be parting with a minty looking pair of MC60's. They've just been completely overhauled, and matched up by no other than Craig. He even saved the old parts that were replaced. Glad he thought of that. I was going to keep them for a possible tubed HTS, but have since gotten another wild hair up my sphinkter, and decided to build myself a vintage Marantz tube setup. Man, these wild hairs are getting expensive. Maybe I'd better leave the forum while I still have money in my pocket.

...NOT!