Norh Tube amp, Jolida CD and Misc Questions....

meagain

Tiger - The Philips seems to do CD & SACD, but not DVD-A which is 5:1 and a higher quality, sort of like SACD I guess but a different format? If I put a DVD-A in the Philips, it would play it, but it would sound like a regular CD? We can put a DVD-A in our Toshiba right now, but we're missing out so I figured if we are going cheap for a DVD player, might as well get one that 1) upconverts and 2) Plays DVD-A (we have some discs). vs. the Philips for the same price. So it's looking like the Oppo or the HK DVD31. Then hopefully when the HD-DVD situation gets sorted out - we'll upgrade to that. Gosh I wish they'd figure this out faster!

I'm not exactly sure I need the house to rattle. I can rattle things now if I want with my HK AVR but I'm sure that's only cuz I have a crappy house that needs a major redo.

I'm not that big on mega HT bone-jarring sound. We both say to each other we're fine with the Khorns bass. It's pretty intense.

I don't know what DVD a is but the philips does have 5 outputs. If you already bought the Jolida it doesn't matter anyway.

Chris

DVD-A is another format just like SACD, and requires a player that can play that format. It's a 5.1 format just like SACD, and from what I am told is the better format between the two.

Mike

Actually the nOrh amps are very cool. Sound warm.. not the typical slapped together BS that most overseas Asian stuff is. They have some rather interesting drum like speakers... I actually have one pair, too, a 4.0 version. It is a simple two way design will not play extremely loud.. but I still enjoy them as well.

As for their tube amps, go to the www.norh.com and do your home work. I think you will be impressed with what you see and learn too. I have never heard them with Klipsch speakers... But have with others including nOrh speakers too. I was at the Midwest horn fest a few years ago with Craig and Paul.. I brought a pair home of the speakers... Just cool fun stuff that sounded great and a good value.

In some other forums I know a lot of Cornwall lovers seemed very very impressed with the tube amp.

Now after all of that.... I am also confident that Craig might be able to do some magic with your Scott as well. Since you already have it I would suggest he take a good look over it.. he goes by NosValvs in here...

Actually the nOrh amps are very cool. Sound warm.. not the typical slapped together BS that most overseas Asian stuff is. They have some rather interesting drum like speakers... I actually have one pair, too, a 4.0 version. It is a simple two way design will not play extremely loud.. but I still enjoy them as well.

As for their tube amps, go to the www.norh.com and do your home work. I think you will be impressed with what you see and learn too. I have never heard them with Klipsch speakers... But have with others including nOrh speakers too. I was at the Midwest horn fest a few years ago with Craig and Paul.. I brought a pair home of the speakers... Just cool fun stuff that sounded great and a good value.

http://www.norh.com/products/se9/index.html Is some info on the SE 9 AMP.

In some other forums I know a lot of Cornwall lovers seemed very very impressed with the tube amp.

Now after all of that.... I am also confident that Craig might be able to do some magic with your Scott as well. Since you already have it I would suggest he take a good look over it.. he goes by NosValvs in here...

meagain, if your considering DVD-A or SACD you need to know that you'll need 5 seperate channels as well as 5 speakers that have a timber match to get the full benefit plus a subwoofer. My DVD-A / SACD consists of a 299A on the khorns, a 299B on a pair of Heresys, and a 99D on a Heresy center. The .1 is a Titanic mkIII 15" and the sound is pretty spectacular even with my cheapie all in one player. Having said that, I believe both DVDA and SACD will soon be a thing of the past as you can no longer get either formats anywhere locally. They have to be ordered and the selection (especially my taste in music) is very limited.

IDK - I have faith in the DVD-A. Not SACD. We'll see. All I know is that I really like music mixed in 5:1. I was sent a list of DVD-A's available. I'll try to post it on this post a bit later.

I'm getting "the trilogy" tomorrow night. LaScalas, stock Scott 299b, Jolida JD-100. So the 'Scalas will be used with the Khorns. I also would like to see the 'Scalas in another part of the house so I think they'll be moving around some at first.

It's the center channel I'm having a problem with. We might test a 'Scala for the center on its side on the floor. But - the whole center channel is a major problem. Mostly physical.

Just got a PM from someone here who just got a tube amp. Had a rather pricey SS before and seems happy as heck.

I previously contacted NOSValves (Craig) about refurbing the Scott and again PM'd him tonight on it will probably take pictures of the guts, etc. and shoot it off to him sooner rather than later. I hope I like it and it's all it's cracked up to be.

Am I still President of the Amp of the Month Club or have I been dethroned?

Get the Scott fixed up by Craig. If it doesn't float your boat for the main system hang on to it for a second system in another room. That Scott has a fully loaded tube preamp section and a tube rectified amplifier section -- they sound good!

How about High End multichannel performance for peanuts?

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=806&page_number=1

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/a-v-receivers/panasonic/PRD_321834_2718crx.aspx

Is anyone listening?

Meagin,

The QSC PLX is a different animal. You have been emailing Dean, I bought it on his advice. The QSC PLX is what the Klipsch engineers use in their lab (for what I understand). Dean had one and was very impressed. It is just plain clean power and lots of it.

I took a bunch of time off when your husband was here over the holidays. I told you to have him drop by. He could have heard it firsthand.

Chris

That's interesting re the qsc.

Hubby wanted to but just wasn't there. He flew in xmas eve and started driving to CA.

IDK - People suggest getting an SS amp and tube pre. But what I cannot for the life of me figure out... is if I get a tube pre that doesn't have a remote for volume - if I can use the remote for the SS amp to control it. My husband says no cuz you want the amp to be opened up and control it from the pre. Yet Seadog here does it so I'm confused.

I see there's some gadget by Creek that can add a remote but that's like $225 and then it gets to be ridiculous. I don't get why these things don't have a simple volume remote. I see some Asian types have remotes.

Maybe I should just get a good HT amp/receiver that has good quality sound for 2-ch, be done with it, and hope I'm not missing out on something.

That's interesting re the qsc.

Hubby wanted to but just wasn't there. He flew in xmas eve and started driving to CA.

IDK - People suggest getting an SS amp and tube pre. But what I cannot for the life of me figure out... is if I get a tube pre that doesn't have a remote for volume - if I can use the remote for the SS amp to control it. My husband says no cuz you want the amp to be opened up and control it from the pre. Yet Seadog here does it so I'm confused.

I see there's some gadget by Creek that can add a remote but that's like $225 and then it gets to be ridiculous. I don't get why these things don't have a simple volume remote. I see some Asian types have remotes.

Maybe I should just get a good HT amp/receiver that has good quality sound for 2-ch, be done with it, and hope I'm not missing out on something.

I don't know what Seadog has but is it an integrated amp (pre and power amp in the same chasis)? All of my power amps have "gain" adjustments which are volume controls. I set the gain to balance the system and use the volume on my Peach.

There is a purist thing in higher end audio where multi discs, remotes, etc are frowned upon. Many amps use very high quality volume pots (like Alps) that have very solid connections.

I would not mind a remote for volume, but don't really miss it. I just made sure that my CD and tuner both have remotes. The music server that I am building will be controlled by a laptop via wireless. Once the volume is set, I really never seem to need to change it.

Get the Scott rebuilt and enjoy, you may not miss the remote.

Panasonic makes some very good sounding receivers on the cheap. Try a Panasonic SA XR55 from JR's music (about $225). Digital amplification and a remote (and really inexpensive). Digital amps have very clean (not harsh) power on the cheap.

I am using two really inexpensive Teac digital amps and a QSC with a Peach (which is not exactly cheap). They are that good. I am buying the Crown above because of reports of hiss when no passive crossover is used and JBL pro tweeters (which have a much greater response than the K77's), which is what I am moving too. The digital amp does not hiss on the regular K horns.

Chris

md - I understand. I just wish more of these tube offerings had 'something' and I'm trying to work around the problem. Hubby & I discussed this at length & it's a sticking point. I'm determined to find a work around for this as I don't like to compromise much when spending money.

'Perhaps' no remote would be ok if we were just going into a listening room for a hard-core sit down with hopefully the pre/amp fairly closeby, but the speakers are in a room open to other areas incl. the kitchen, etc. and I'd like to be able to hear music when cleaning, puttering about with a project, prepareing food, etc. Had the Scott on the coctail table in listening room, I had to crank it to where it was painful, guess the proper volume for the kitchen, then walk to the kitchen. Walk back to the Scott in the painful volume area, etc. PITA

I could use my $550 HT to do this but it's a good guess I'm not getting good sound quality. I just envision automatically ending up listening to this HT for convenience. An unpractical compromise.

I'm going to figure out a solution and not give up! :)

Well if your in an entirely different room then the speakers I'm pretty sure your not going to hear any major difference between a tube rig or your SS rig. To enjoy the finer points of a high end system it usually requires being in the same room as the speakers[;)]

Craig

Well if your in an entirely different room then the speakers I'm pretty sure your not going to hear any major difference between a tube rig or your SS rig. To enjoy the finer points of a high end system it usually requires being in the same room as the speakers[;)]

Craig

:) Good point.