Just installed some 902 Drivers

bluesboy

Tigerwood,

Go for it! You'll love the sound no matter what you listen to. How about this, for my next project, I'm thinking about doing a center channel hybrid Lascala with a bass bin section that looks like the new Lascalas with one inch sides and top with a seperated top horn section (like K-Horns) that will house 511-B horns and EV St-350 baby cheek tweeters.

Tigerwood,

Go for it! You'll love the sound no matter what you listen to. How about this, for my next project, I'm thinking about doing a center channel hybrid Lascala with a bass bin section that looks like the new Lascalas with one inch sides and top with a seperated top horn section (like K-Horns) that will house 511-B horns and EV St-350 baby cheek tweeters.

Sounds interesting,wish I had your woodworking skills and the equip.

Your project sounds kind of like mine as I have some industrial bass bins on the way and plan on some mods for vibs as well as build top sections to house my 511's,it will be split or seperate giving positioning options like I have now.It should look like a Scala ll on steroids.

Greg

LaScala on steroids. Thats a good way to put it. Are you going to do yours as two way using only the 511-b on top? When you say positioning options I assume you mean making the top section so it pivots. Thats an interesting idea. What I was thinking on mine was to build the top section with the tweeter on top of the 511 making the cabinet about 6 or 7 inches higher than a stock Lascala.

Yes,right now my Scalas are 2way with the 511's on top and I really like the ability to adjust them for my room and listening position.I like the looks of the Belle tops and the new LAS ll's beefy looks,in fact I had the look of that combination in my head before I ever saw a pic of the LAS ll.

Greg

Al:

I'd still like to try the 902 with my K-Horns! (Even though you told me that the low freqs would probably destroy them.) They have your Extreme Slope Nets in them and the Traxhorn. As you know, I'm running the 902 in my Belles with the 811 horn and your ES network and I love it. The Belles -- with the 902 -- sound much more precise and clear than the K-Horns' stock driver.

Mick

"Tell us about the sound you're getting right now Shawn -- is it the end all?"

Not an easy thing to do since people have such different frames of reference and tastes. For example our ideas of what constitues good imaging/soudstaging are from totally different vantage points. (2 channel vs. surround)

For me I'm very satisfied with how they are sounding tri-amped now but it took a lot of work. Work in just balancing the drivers levels to my tastes, balancing the in/output levels through the crossovers and work learning the Teac's to be able to lower their inherent switching noise to reduce the hiss which was really bugging me.

I feel I accomplished my main goal in trying the different horns/tri-amping... getting a very consistant sound at all listening points in my room. I had the extra benefits of being able to use some EQ for a little bit of response shaping. I wasn't expecting it but the system is even more dynamic sounding now then it was... and it was very dynamic before. Transients are shocking and still make me jump even when I'm expecting them. Both at high and low listening levels. They sound very consistant from soft to loud.

As far as being 'the end all'... doubtfull... there is always something better.

In the interest of learning/experimenting at some point I want to try corner reflectors in the LaScala bass bins and see if they smooth out its response somewhat. Its fairly peaky in the 150-2000hz range which is the old trick of making something appear to have more bass response then it really does. This also gives it some of the warmth but can make some things sound to chesty on occasion... I flattened that down somewhat with EQ but left a touch of it still in place (couple of dB) as I liked how it sounded better that way.

Going to straight horns for 80-500hz would be interesting to try too but not sure how likely that would be as it would cause me some other headaches with setup and such.

I also want to try crossing over steeper to my subs. They are fourth order now but I'd like to try going much sharper. I have the channels available to do it in the crossovers but haven't felt like futzing with that in awhile. Been having too much fun listening to it all.

Honestly, I tend to think some people here would likely *hate* how my system sounds now. With the way I have it tuned right now it is on the fairly flat response side of the equation (measured, not just opinion) which can take some getting used to if one is accustomed to something else. IMO part of why 'flat' gets a bad rep. has to do with uneven off axis response and room reflection issues which can cause a 'flat' speaker to sound very bright in room. One of my goals was very even off axis response so that isn't an issue and my room is pretty heavily treated so that isn't an issue either. Being able to control the dispersion to help avoid room reflections helped here quite a bit too.

Tonally... they remind me of my Entoymotic Research ER4S earphones. Though of course will full size bass/dynamics/imaging/etc. Some hate them, some love them.

Don't know if that helps any. If you are ever over my way let me know and you can give the system a whirl for a few hours to see what you think. You might hate it... but I'm fine with that. ;)

Shawn

Al:

I'd still like to try the 902 with my K-Horns! (Even though you told me that the low freqs would probably destroy them.) They have your Extreme Slope Nets in them and the Traxhorn. As you know, I'm running the 902 in my Belles with the 811 horn and your ES network and I love it. The Belles -- with the 902 -- sound much more precise and clear than the K-Horns' stock driver.

Mick

Mick,

As per Duke, I have hammered my 902's crossed at 400hz, from 110 to 121db@ 1 meter for some time using a simple 1st order filter. (heavily braced Cornwall bins) With an ES network?.....Don't give it a second thought. I had a K33 failure at +/- 300wpc, and the 902's were fine.

Def Jeff

It would take a LOT of midrange wattage to amount to enough pressure that would "blow out" the phase plugs! Say well over 150watts - of midrange frequencies! That means that the bass would be WAY over 500 watts seems to me and who could listen to that in the first place?!

DM

If the K33's would hang in there, I would give it a shot![:D]

Terry