Super Bowl XL - A Bird's Eye View.......

Audible Nectar

My wife and I were in Detroit during Superbowl weekend. Unfortunately, we were staying at the Ronald McDonald House due to my daughter's stay at Children's Hospital. The cafeteria and Wendy's grew old rather quickly, so we ventured out to some of the local restaurants.

Union Street, on Woodward just North of Mack is one of our favorites. Jim Belushi dined there on Saturday night. Just across the street is a bowling alley called, "The Majestic," the oldest bowling alley in the country (from what I've heard). Jerome Bettis rented it, and the building next to it, out on Friday night for some bowling and partying. We ate at Union Street that night and there were at least a dozen police cars in the median. The police really seemed to do a nice job.

We also ate at Mario's, a fantastic restaurant. If you get the chance to get back to Detroit, I would highly recommend it. The best steak I've had in a very long time.

Here's a picture of another bar/grill we ate at just around the corner from Union Street. I believe the name is, "Honest John's." Inside the sign reads, "Men Lie." lol Anyway, here is a sign that is in their outer window greeting patrons as they open the front door.

Posted Image

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No special badge required (other than a game ticket for stadium access) - I just knew where to be and when (after four Super Bowls you learn the ropes). The people we stayed with had lots of inside access, too (he was head of security for Ren Cen's main desk on night shift, and she did work on much of the production for the halftime show). We did get another little "tour" of sorts, but what I showed you here was infinitely more interesting. I wish I could have taken more photos of the other days (Bud Bowl in particular), but cameras were not allowed in those clubs and venues unless you were "press badged", and I didn't want to lose the access trying to take pics.

It was pretty funny, however, a story I'll share about how close one of our hosts was to the action: She commented that she was SURE that Mick does not wear underwear from seeing the halftime show rehearsal on Friday[:o] She also came home with all kinds of cool memorabilia postgame, such as the confetti, sheets of game play photos used by players and coaches during the game, badges, towels, and so forth.

The camera is a standard 35mm film unit, a Canon WP-1 waterproof model, set on no flash auto with mostly 800 speed film used. I processed the rolls at Walgreens (shipped out) and got back prints + photo CD's then resized them in ACDSee to a more managable size. That's it. I am a photo and imaging novice - while I do understand basic photographic concepts, my comp imaging skills are most basic. I do know this, however - this camera is a very good unit - I've photographed many similar events with similar results. I worry I'll have to work much harder to get similar results from any new camera - I considered getting a new digicam for the trip, but I didn't want to practice in Detroit when I wanted to be sure it would work!

dkp,

Sorry to hear of your daughter's health issues - that's not the way I would want to happen upon a Super Bowl party[:(] Glad you got to see some of this, though - judging from the look of the locals, they were as wide eyed as the out of towners were. We were all really impressed, and the energy was palpable wherever we went.

I became familiar with the area around Mack and Woodward - we stayed in the northeastern section of the city, and traversed back and forth on Mack quite a bit. As counterintuitive as it might seem, it was a real advantage staying within Detroit city proper (most stayed in the suburbs, which would have been a hassle) - we lucked out and found a local couple who put us up for the weekend. It made access much easier (with exception to the parking sharks downtown - they operate as "anything goes", like charging twice for a space you paid $$$$$ for in advance, then having a smashed window postgame in the lot next door because you called the parking company on it). Other than that, it was a GREAT weekend.

The sign on the restaurant doesn't surprise me (hehe). I had a hard time finding restaurants generally - and in the "D", it definitely helps to know where you are going. Even on thoroughfares, you can drive for miles and not see a restaurant other than Coney Islands and other fast food when in the city. There are quite a few things I missed out on, though - it will be easy to make a list of places to eat and things to do next time, now that I've been there.

dkp: David, you were partially correct: As you said, the bowling alley is the oldest active bowling center in the nation (since 1913), but it is actually the "Garden Bowl", which is located within the "Majestic Cafe". I can understand your confusion.

Here's their website: LINK

• 4 years later...