Can someone tell me about the Forte II's?

NewKlip

I just picked up a pair of what appear to be Klipsch Forte II's from a divorce sale for $100. I didn't really need them but they seemed to be a good deal for the price, although the back subwoofer on one of them does have a tear (looks mendable). From what I could gather from the Klipsch website, these appear to be meant for home theater use. Oddly, the site says these were first manufactured in 1989, but a sticker on the back of the speakers has a date of 1986. Can someone tell me a little more about what I have purchased in regards to proper use, value, useful upgrades, etc. I'm in the Atlanta area and are open to selling them to a local buyer who can pick them up. I'll note that I haven't actually tried them yet, but if they don't work I'm taking them back to the seller.

$100 is a great price for them. Do you mean the surrounds on the passive radiator (the back subwoofer you had mentioned) has a tear in it? As for their market value, maybe someone more experienced or a forte owner can give you a better idea. You could also check ebay to see what these have sold for in the recent past. I do believe they are fantastic sounding speakers, good score!

Welcome to the forum. Want to double your money? I'll give you $200.

Seriously, you did well. No matter what the condition they are worth more then 100 bucks. I have owned a pair since new. They really are nice speakers. They don't take much power to drive and sound good with all types of music. Like all Klipsch speakers they reveal what the up stream equipment has to offer. So if you drive them with a cheap, department store receiver they won't sound a nice as if used with better equipment.

Don't be in any rush to sell them. Set them up in a decent sized room (living room not bedroom) and let them breath a bit. With the passive speaker (big thing on the back) you will get better results if they are not up against the back wall. pull them out a foot or so to start with angle them in a tad and play around with different distances from back/side walls.

Most of all enjoy.

If you decide you don't want them offer them up to the group here before taking them to ebay please.

In good condition they're worth $350-$500. The rear 'subwoofer' is actually a passive radiator that takes the place of a port, so it has no wires or magnets attached. You can remove it and use a dab or two of fingernail polish to mend small tears. Replace and keep little fingers away from it.

Placement with regards to the back wall is somewhat critical since the low bass emanates from the rear of the speaker. Lots of guys use the Forte II's for HT or 2 channel listening. They are a very well balanced, if not the most efficient Klipsch mid-sized speaker.

You got a heck of a deal on them. I'd consider keeping them, but if they don't suit you for whatever reason, please consider selling them here.

Welcome to the madness.

Michael

Thanks to both of you for the responses. I just got done trying them out and "wow". I connected them to this old 60" monster Sony TV with all of the surround sound connections built-in and they sounded great. A big improvement from my old college RJRs that I thought were big until I got these. I'm sure the new (old) speakes would sound even better through a nice stereo. As long as I don't have to take too much grief from the wife I think I'll keep them, but if I do decide to sell, this is where I'll go.

The Fort'e is considered by many to be Klipsch's best "rock" speaker. They are easy to drive, dig deep and are well balanced. $100 for them is a great deal, I paid $450 for my pair of 1s and the going rate for a nice pair is in the ball park of $500 and up on the west coast. The paper on the passive driver could be fixed from the back side, remove it and patch away. There is nothing connected to it on the inside of the speaker. Placement is important though as the passive driver uses the wall or corner to deliver more bass. Play with the placement and you will indeed enjoy them.

And yes, many here (including me) use them in our HT setups.

My Forte II's were some of the first made and have a date on the back. My pair of later Forte II's do not have a date that I can see. If the date on yours is 1986 then they would have to be the original Forte's. The easiest and quickest way to tell is measure the passive radiator in the back. A12" cone is the original series, a 15" cone is the series II. Experiment with placement as the others have said and enjoy!

Enjoying Forte II's since 1989.

I just measured the passive cone and it is 15". It also says Forte' II clearly on the back. Maybe the 1986 applies to some specific aspect of the technology. It is shown on the back bottom in the little area with the connections and says " 1986 Klipsch & Associates" or something like that. Is there an area on this website that can date the speakers by the serial #'s? I've got those.

The Forte is what got me started with Klipsch in 1989. You might want to be careful if powering them with a built-in TV audio amplifier. It is probably not very powerful, and pushing such an amp is actually more dangerous to a speaker than a powerful one. Overdriving a low powered amp creates distortion, which includes high frequency harmonics, which can burn out a tweeter. So, you might try to resist any temptation to "crank up" the TV amplifier too much. Now, if you hook them up to a regular audio receiver or amp, you can turn it up enough to blow you out of the room with no worry.