Component Video vs HDMI - much difference?

whell

Quality wise no. Component is analog video only. HDMI is digital video + audio. HDMI was created to replace DVI which is digital video only. Installers were having problems feeding the huge DVI connectors through walls (requires a 1 5/8" hole)so they came up with HDMI connectors which are very small and manageable + they contained the audio as well eliminating a ton of other cables.

JJK

Hey all,

I'm completely new to HDMI technology. I have an old Toshiba rear projection 62". It's digital.... Can I feed a KDMI signal into it? I don't have HD cable in Pakistan, but I was wondering (if there is a way to feed my monitor a HD signal) if it'll make a quality difference while, say watching dvd'.

Your help, as always, is appreciated.

Regards,

-Fauzi

If you have a CRT set, there is absolutley no advantage to using HDMI, besides possibly interference you may get with poorly shielded component cables. What a CRT set does with an HDMI signal, is as soon as it enters the set, it converts it to analog and RGB (component).

So, if you already have a good set of components, it's not worth it to go HDMI.

If you have a digital set (CRT, LCD, Plasma, DLP), then HDMI will definitely benefit you.

Sorry to hijack, but this is a really interesting topic. I have a sony CRT HDTV. I only have one HDMI hookup on the back of my TV. I currently use it for my DVD player. Is there a splitter available so I can run one to my cable box (HD converter) and one to my DVD player? Right now I have component to my Cable box. Any options that I'm not thinking of to have a digital signal from both the DVD player and cable box?

Jeff

They make HDMI auto switch boxes that can be used and supposely HDCP compatible, but last I've looked they run over $200.

IMO, HDMI or DVI cables seem to give a SLIGHTY richer picture quality in HD than a good quality component cable.

The other advantage with digital cables is that it will auto set your digital TV to the highest resolution that it is receiving from the HD cable box or DVD which if I remeber right, I haven't used component cables since day 2 of my HDTV, component cables can't do that without you changing it.