can get for around $300.00..Picture is excellent for the video and the

thing is a universal player, meaning it will play DVD-A, DTS-A, MP3 and

SACD (which is what I really bought it for). The Denon excells at

SACD, sound is just awesome.

Now the 1920 has had some reported problems with a glitch in the HDMI

circuit, but if you don't have a fancy HDTV, then who cares? I

bought this one for under $300.00 and it is a stop gap while the new

formats settle down (did you guys hear about the PS3 having "optical

disc" format problems which is pushing the release back AGAIN!

Bluray may not have this sewn up just yet!)

Oh, and as an edit, I replaced my Toshiba 3750 with the Denon, and I

wasn't expecting much, I mean how much better could the Denon be

right? It was light years better than what you have, seriously.

SO that is my suggestion....can't go wrong with your set-up.

K

Hello all, I am sorry if this post has been talked about before it's been awhile since I last logged in. I am in the market for a new DVD player, I would like to have a single disc for 3 bills or less. PLease offer your suggestions and why.

Its all a matter of testing dfferent brands and models and go from there,I have tried many units and found my cheapy pioneer dv343 is outstanding and it cost me $300.00 few years back.

True true, but if the original poster is like me, I didn't have the

time nor the opportunity, nor the location to try out everything I

wanted to hear...So I got online and did research.

Go to the audiovideo forums, and do a search (their search engine

*works*) for your query and see what everyone has to say about

what is out there. I have heard Oppo is good for video, excellent

in fact, but I don't think I have heard anything about its audio

quality. I do know they are supposed to be a great bang for

buck. Some of the cheaper players are good, I don't personally

consider a $300 player cheap when the formats are about to change, and

when DVD players can be had by the scads for $100.00. Heck, the

Toshiba I and van have/had are good machines, DTS/DD 5.1 etc, but mine

didn't have SACD which is the one audio format I wanted to try, and I

find after the upgrade that there *is* a marked difference in the

quality of players. Probably the filters, and such. For

audio, I am very new to the whole SACD/DVD-A thing, and it is amazing -

put in Pink Floyd Dark SIde last night for the first time in SACD, and

it was nuts...you literally hear the bells and gongs in separate

channels at the beginning of "Time" - I was giggling like a girl...very

cool.

Remember if you go SACD, and I was recently made aware by another forum

member, DVDA, you will need to obtain the necessary RCA patch cables to

go from each channel to your amp/receiver (yes, 6 separate analog

cables) and your your amp has to have the right 5.1 decoder inputs (6

separate RCA in analog jacks) or it won't do you much good to get the

player, as those formats are analog only, and require separate jack

inputs.

Try the audio circle forum and the audio karma bunch too, great sources of information.

Good luck!

K

Doesn't anyone like SONY equipment anymore? I realize that the lower end stuff is not up to par with their higher end products, but it is good product. Dvd players have improved alot over the past couple of years. I own a NS775V Sony, it plays everything, including burned discs without a problem. 5.1 sounds great also, and under your $300, so you can go buy some dvd's and enjoy.

Doesn't anyone like SONY equipment anymore? I realize that the lower end stuff is not up to par with their higher end products, but it is good product. Dvd players have improved alot over the past couple of years. I own a NS775V Sony, it plays everything, including burned discs without a problem. 5.1 sounds great also, and under your $300, so you can go buy some dvd's and enjoy.

The problem with Sony's low end is that most of it is rebadged. Sony doesn't even touch it. Their reputation has always been for rugged, well built TV's. They parlayed that into a whole world of crap electronics, junk speakers, and mucho other garbage that wore their brand but was built in their factories...

The problem with Sony's low end is that most of it is rebadged. Sony doesn't even touch it. Their reputation has always been for rugged, well built TV's. They parlayed that into a whole world of crap electronics, junk speakers, and mucho other garbage that wore their brand but was built in their factories...

i have an older sony cd302 cd player rate very highly,i dont consider it junko.[:D]

I have a SONY DVP-NS70H upconverting DVD player and I like the picture

quality a lot (720P, 1080i thru HDMI). Mine had the "SHIFT ISSUE"

(check avs forum for more details) but it was no deal breaker for me

and I do think they resolved this already. If you have SACDs then

go for the DVPNS90V model instead.

Now the 1920 has had some reported problems with a glitch in the HDMI circuit, but if you don't have a fancy HDTV, then who cares? I bought this one for under $300.00 and it is a stop gap while the new formats settle down (did you guys hear about the PS3 having "optical disc" format problems which is pushing the release back AGAIN! Bluray may not have this sewn up just yet!)

K

Kriton, can you tell me what the HDMI problem is with the 1920? I presume that it means that it won't do something that it is supposed to. I am considering the 1920 (mainly for DVD-A & SACD), but I have a Mits HD-ready RPTV with DVI input (which, I understand, can receive HDMI input with an adaptor).

Thanks for any info you may have.

I do not believe what you state about the lower end items; although I would not own any speakers other than Klipsch. I have ES grade components,and they are not lower end equipment. If my memory serves me well, Sony was considered high end products. Then the Best Buys, and Walmarts came along and Sony started selling inexpensive lines of stereo product to average listener who has no idea what a Klipsch Speaker is. Every electronics company has inexpensive consumer lines. If you even think of owning Sansui, Pioneer, even Marantz, Sony is a good. Trust me, they are not Mac, Carver, or Scott, but they hold their own. It only matters how they sound to the person who owns them.

I don't think he meant Sony was bad...just THEIR cheaper line is, well cheap...I also don't think many consider Sony as highline...many of the brandy snifting, pipe smoking, ascot wearing crowd don't consider McIntosh high end...when I read of people who have to "limit" their 2 speaker purchase budget to "only" $15,000 I have to think I have never heard high line...

Bill[;)]

RichardP,

OK, not an expert here, and I read a whole bunch of people talk about

this player. There were two issues. First, some folks were

experiencing "macroblocking" on some plasma sets, where the Faroudja

chips had a peculiar way of showing black blocks on the screen during

ceratin sequences. I am not entirely sure what that was all

about, but it didn;t happen across the board, as some folks claimed it

was intermittent and other claimed it happened all the time. This

was an specific filter issue, as I gather; I ahve never experienced any

problem with the picture quality, quite the contrary, it is pretty damn

good. Apparently, from my research it really only effects DLP

displays, but you can look into that. Macroblocking shows up as

dark blotches or blocks in scenes on DVD's where the screen is mostly

black or dark, and is a known problem with that particular Faroudja

chip. Again, not a deal breaker for me, never noticed it...has

frankly more instances of that with my Toshiba than with this thing.

Secondarily, with the HDMI thing, there was a glitch in the on/off

fucntion fo the player under certain circumstances when using the HDMI

connector...here is a quote form AVS forums:

""I have discovered that the problem that jonnyozero3 first reported yesterday is a reproducable flaw in the Denon 1920.

When a disc is stopped during play, the unit will go into RESUME mode.

This is obviously a common feature on most DVD players. However, on the

1920, if you should decide to turn the player off while it is in RESUME

mode using the discrete POWER OFF button on the remote,

the player will not power up again without removing AC power to the

unit (plug - unplug). This is reproducable 100% and applies to DVD's

and CD's. ""

Apparently, there is a firmware fix or something that can be done to

fix this, but again since it didn't effect me, I didn't worry about

it. Yes, there have been problems with it, and every other much

more expensive player out there, given the changing display formats,

etc. BUt again, this is not a $1500.00 player, and I like a lot

of the folks elsewhere, have put this in place as a stop-gap while the

industry gets there heads out of their A$$ and figures out what the

next best is going to be. In that function, the Denon is pretty

hard to beat for the price. The audio performance is stellar, but

don;t take my word for it, go research it!

Go to www.avsforum.com and do a search for Denon 1920, you will find the thread.

Hope this helps.

K

I would have to know what type of connection you plan to use on your display to connect your DVD player. Do you plan on getting a new HD display or are you just going to use S video or component inputs to your current display?

Oppo does not have a 480p output via component so that is a limitation. It also restricts bit depth and overall image capability due to DVI only output. Excellent if you have a DVI only display.

Panasonic is really the best in your price range for HDMI and component signal. The S77 or S97 get the best scores for flagging and other critical video attributes.

Denon has always been a leader and you you may find a unit under $300 like the 2910 but most of their other top performing models cost a lot more.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

Here is a link I think all of you will find useful in selecting a DVD for your particular application.

I have two SOny's, love the variety of slow mo and fast speeds available. Even the new cheapie has a .6x slow motion with SOUND. That's very cool.

I am having some problems though- posted a new thread called 'skipping DVD' if anyone cares to comment.

was gonna call it 'dirty DVD' but thought that'd attract a unsavory element[;)]

Michael

I love Sony TV's but they are not known for making a good DVD player.

Every company has its strengths and weakness' and that is why I am not generally brand loyal.

See the link in my other message if you want to see where Sony places against everyone else.

P.S. This evaluation is strictly based on video performance and audio is not as heavily weighted.