Danley Labs DTS-20 On The Way

TheSoundBroker

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris R.,

Long time and no news,everything ok? Is your Danley DTS20 installed? Any impressions?

Thank you

Sorry to be late in replying This is just the busiest time of the year in the house cleaning biz and Ive been in bed for a few days with the flu. Plus, were on the last week or two of the house remodel, so add it all together and what do you get? FUBAR.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Yes, the KILLER SUB FROM HELL is in place. It wasnt until I added the SMS1 though that I was really able to hear it go through its paces. The voltage output of the Sunfire is on the light side. Even with the output set to +10db, the sub was 10 db short of where it should have been. I did a quick test tone at reference volume and the house was rattling in the farthest corners. This sub is NOT for the faint-hearted.

The SMS1 starts its sweeps at 15Hz. The grill cloth was flapping like Old Glory on the 15Hz end of the sweep. The amp wasnt breaking a sweat. Amazingly, the room was pretty lumpy on the EQ curve, even though it was unpopulated with furniture and it measures a neat 30 x 19 x 9 with an open end into the kitchen. I would have thought it would have been much smoother than that.

I ran through the usual list of movies. I noticed that the settings for jazz music are around half of what is needed for movies. I also need to spend a little more time doing some real dialing in for phase. It was just set at 0 so Im sure some tweaking is in order. But even untouched, untweaked, this sub is very, very serious about LF. Amazingly, it fits in a millwork cabinet, is invisible, and just shakes the neighborhood when the LF soundtrack starts to crank. Our dog, an Aussie, has a pretty resilient nature. When we get into the LFs though, his fur goes up and he starts barking his fool head off.

Im going to invite Tom from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Savannah on up for a day of tweaking. There is still a lot to do to squeeze the best from this beast, but the raw and uncut version is pretty stunning. The first sweeps at higher volumes made me want to puke.

Enough said.

Chris

OH HELL YEAH!!!! I'm just about in my car and on the way now!!!! LOL.........

Seriously Chris. I haven't got a flippin' thing to do this weekend (well - next weekend either for that matter).

Geez - did I just invite myself or what??

Chris R.,

Long time and no news,everything ok? Is your Danley DTS20 installed? Any impressions?

Thank you

Sorry to be late in replying This is just the busiest time of the year in the house cleaning biz and Ive been in bed for a few days with the flu. Plus, were on the last week or two of the house remodel, so add it all together and what do you get? FUBAR.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Yes, the KILLER SUB FROM HELL is in place. It wasnt until I added the SMS1 though that I was really able to hear it go through its paces. The voltage output of the Sunfire is on the light side. Even with the output set to +10db, the sub was 10 db short of where it should have been. I did a quick test tone at reference volume and the house was rattling in the farthest corners. This sub is NOT for the faint-hearted.

The SMS1 starts its sweeps at 15Hz. The grill cloth was flapping like Old Glory on the 15Hz end of the sweep. The amp wasnt breaking a sweat. Amazingly, the room was pretty lumpy on the EQ curve, even though it was unpopulated with furniture and it measures a neat 30 x 19 x 9 with an open end into the kitchen. I would have thought it would have been much smoother than that.

I ran through the usual list of movies. I noticed that the settings for jazz music are around half of what is needed for movies. I also need to spend a little more time doing some real dialing in for phase. It was just set at 0 so Im sure some tweaking is in order. But even untouched, untweaked, this sub is very, very serious about LF. Amazingly, it fits in a millwork cabinet, is invisible, and just shakes the neighborhood when the LF soundtrack starts to crank. Our dog, an Aussie, has a pretty resilient nature. When we get into the LFs though, his fur goes up and he starts barking his fool head off.

Im going to invite Tom from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Savannah on up for a day of tweaking. There is still a lot to do to squeeze the best from this beast, but the raw and uncut version is pretty stunning. The first sweeps at higher volumes made me want to puke.

Enough said.

Chris

OH HELL YEAH!!!! I'm just about in my car and on the way now!!!! LOL.........

Seriously Chris. I haven't got a flippin' thing to do this weekend (well - next weekend either for that matter).

Geez - did I just invite myself or what??

Tom, next weekend might work. Let me check with the Spousal Unit and see what the shopping regimen looks like!

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Over the Xmas holiday, I had some time to spend experimenting with different settings. The SMS1 has been a really good addition to this line up. I still don't know all its features well, but it sure delivers the mail.

First, getting some carpet and furniture in this room has really made a difference. The bare slab and walls were a nightmare; lots of slap echo. The newly added fodder has softened the sound considerably. The LF is really dialed in too and the percussiveness of the Danley is very impressive. We've probably watched "Dead Man's Chest" about 20 times (kids ...) and I'm still impressed with the cannon fire (triple guns, especially) and how it is "just right". Not boomy at all; just a hammer in the sternum.

I like the way the room has turned out. Despite a "small" 50" Panny plasma, the room works very well sonically. The sweet spot is very wide for movies, and music floats into the kitchen in a very tactile way. For music, I turned the SMS1 volume down to about "25", but run it at "40" for movies.

My wife was really miserable when I brought the unboxed Danley into the house, but she loves how it's now hidden from view. She said she was "glad that I didn't get one of those large, free-standing beasts" I was considering. I still think a 12d would have been great and pleasing in all respects. I just had to see how this big old Danley went with the alacrity of the Klipschorns and I can honestly say I couldn't be more pleased!

Happy Holidays to you all!

Chris

post-4827-1381931823976_thumb.jpg

Jay, thanks ... one of the bennies with demolishing a room and starting over ... You can create what you need.

We watched "Ricky Bobby" tonight ... even though it's a fairly tame movie, it was funny, but the soundtrack was pretty impressive. The front horn array and the Danley just really rip. This weekend I'm going to rerun the EQ process since a lot has changed. I also want to diddle with the polarity settings. I have Doc's "sub by ear" manual so I'll see what I can do to tweak the last few ounces of goodness out of this setup.

I've got some new CD's and DVD's in house as well ... This ice/water scenes from "Ice Age 2" were really impressive. The LF passages were really palpable, esp. when the ice shifting is just starting. There is a lot going on in the 15-25 Hz range (I'm guessing) that really gets you going.

Life is a lot different now with world-class woofage and Klipschorns/Belle across the front. It switches between awesome and scary. Not sure which way to call it yet.

Chris

Wow, that install looks great! Very classy touch on everything. [Y]

Btw, where is the Right Main (assuming Khorn)? It seems the kitchen is the room behind and to the right of the camera taking that last photo?

Thanks for the compliment, Mike ... I appreciate it.

The right main is, as you say, right next to the kitchen (to left of double oven with white protective wrap still on it). This photo might help.

Still can't get over the Khorn-Belle-Khorn array for movies. Hard to describe what a level above most installations that it is. PWK was a genius.

Chris

post-4827-138193182818_thumb.jpg

Congrats Chris. That turned out to be a very nice installation. I'm sure you will enjoy the heck out of the system.

The DTS-20 is uniquely suited to blending in with large Heritage since it is also horn loaded and won't compress like most subs will. You can let loose with the Belles/K-horns/LaScalas and not worry about the sub keeping up. And as you can see...it isn't actually that hard to integrate into a room.

Yeah. Is there anyway someone like me can buy direct or do we have to go through a dealer like you? I was wondering seeing as how I live only about 45 minutes away from Danley HQ

I would imagine Danley, like most companies, would protect their dealers. I would think the direct price would be the same as the price through a dealer.

Using a dealer is actually a good thing in most cases. They can offer local service, deal with factory issues (should there be any), and just answer questions you might have during setup.

Kevin's a good guy to deal with. The price was very fair and he was a big help, even tho he was 3000 miles away.

Chris

Chris,

Impressive to say the least,the large Heritage speakers almost disapear in the room! Great match,and the Danley...less visible than micro subs! I am very very glad to see the way your room came out,the audio gear is out of the way and yet all the way in terms of performance speakers/sub wise.

Very classy setup.

Chris, you are probably right about most dealers, but there are some

stores (this has nothing to do with audio, but resellers in general)

that will sell something for probably four times the manufacturing

cost...pain in the neck. However, not buying direct is perfectly

understandable from a company like Danley....

• 3 weeks later...