Danley Labs DTS-20 On The Way

TheSoundBroker

Chris -

I'm confused.....I thought the Danly was gonna be built into the stud wall. Yes? No?

If yes, I don't see any provisions for it. [8-)]

Tom

Tom, your memory is good but I changed course ... Looking at the front array, a 22" floor-to-ceiling cabinet basically gave me the opportunity to bury it in millwork about 1/3 of the way along the long wall. Fewer harmonic issues and it was just "easier" ...

Cabinets are now going in (read: next two weeks) ... we need to have you drop in for a few cocktails and tunes.

Chris

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris -

I'm confused.....I thought the Danly was gonna be built into the stud wall. Yes? No?

If yes, I don't see any provisions for it. [8-)]

Tom

Tom, your memory is good but I changed course ... Looking at the front array, a 22" floor-to-ceiling cabinet basically gave me the opportunity to bury it in millwork about 1/3 of the way along the long wall. Fewer harmonic issues and it was just "easier" ...

Cabinets are now going in (read: next two weeks) ... we need to have you drop in for a few cocktails and tunes.

Chris

Just say the word. I'm so ready to get out of town and away from all the you-know-what.

BTW - sorry I missed your call the other day. If ya let me know when, I can call you.

Tom

Hello,

I could not stand it any longer, all the reading of posts during the last few months on how outstading this sub is. I just ordered a DST20 today. I will be using the Klipsch Ultra II amp to power it. I have one question for any body that might know. When I had my Klipsch Ultra subs they only had one speaker connetion on the back. On the speck sheet for the DTS20 it says it has two speakers conections, the pro connections like the Klipsch. Do I connect both speaker outputs from the amp to both on the Danley?

rmlowz

Not sure I can help too much but looking at the powered version which I have, there is a balanced cable input on the back.

For your passive version, the config will be different. Just call someone at the Labs (Scott or someone) and ask away.

It's an extremely streamlined setup. I think you'll appreciate the workmanship. From what I can see, it's top-notch. I'm trying to control my expectations, but all indications are that this is a special machine.

C/

Well, congrats on a great purchase. I think you'll be thrilled with it.

I can't think you could possibly upgrade after that -- unless you want to dedicated a neighboring room to an IB system, something akin to what Formica did. Even then, I think it would be a toss up.

Once we get our two Towers up and running, let's compare/post our listening impressions. THAT should be fun.

Chris

Hello Chris,

I will post as soon as I am up and running. They are to ship it out some time next week I had the Ultra II subs that I sold to Richard P. I stiil have a Velodyne DD 18, Def Tech Trinity and one of the new RT12d subs. It has been a lot of fun playing with the subs this long and hot summer we have had here in Texas. I am really curious to see how the DTS 20 compares to the other subs. My freind wants my Trinity for his Def Tech set up I will be selling it to him.

Take Care,

rmlowz

Tom, I bet you are ... Come on out in a few weeks when the gear, at least, is operational. The kitchen should be done by Halloween, factoring in all the usual delays.

Here's the latest shot of the room as it stands now.

Hi guys,

For the sub cabinet, what would you suggest for grill cloth in the lower section?

I was planning on having smoked grey glass in the uppers (to match the righthand A/V rack cabinet to its right) but I need some grill cloth for the Danley.

I searched this forum and there are a few source for grill cloth. Didn't know if anybody had any strong favorites?

Thanks --

Chris

Hello Chris,

Is it possible for you to measure the height of your DTS 20 ? In a earlier post I beleive you said the the sub was 20 inches wide instead of 18 inches. I need to know the height because on one website it has it at 84 inches high, the Danley site has it at 88 inces high I am trying to figure out where it will go in my room. this weekend.

Thanks,

rmlowz

Hello Chris,

I will post as soon as I am up and running. They are to ship it out some time next week I had the Ultra II subs that I sold to Richard P. I stiil have a Velodyne DD 18, Def Tech Trinity and one of the new RT12d subs. It has been a lot of fun playing with the subs this long and hot summer we have had here in Texas. I am really curious to see how the DTS 20 compares to the other subs. My freind wants my Trinity for his Def Tech set up I will be selling it to him.

Take Care,

rmlowz

How is the trinity in respect to other subwoofers and such? personal opinions greatly appreciated

Hello,

The Trinity is right up there with the Ultras and the DD18. Def Tech is not liked in a lot of the forums I dont know why. I enjoyed the Trinity a lot for the 6 months I owned it. The Trinity left my house today making room for the DTS 20.

rmlowz

Trinity is not liked because of the bogus claims they make and "flashy hoopla reviewer quotes" they use to sell thier products.

They so called ubber towers with the built in subwoofers are not at all worthy of the high scores they got from the now gone Stereo Review and Home Theater mag.They impress with big bass and the reviewers fall for deftech's little simplistic tricks.

Compare a Dynaudio Contour S 3.4 to any of defTechs super duper hyper towers and you will realise what neutrality,real definition and sonic realism is about.The hyper towers are like Goofy and Mickey mouse to me,larger than life and as realistic.

The subs I heard from deftech including their former top of the line was nothing special,Velodyne 's HGS18 was so much more a better match with my Dynes.

Tom Bullwitoffff gave 99% to the ubber Goofer Towers and said...

"AMAZING,UBBER HUGE AND WE GET PAID WELL WITH ALL THE UBBER ADDS THEY MAKE,I CAN AFFORD THAT SPANKING UBBER AMG CONVERTIBLE NOW!!!! "

Hello Chris,

Is it possible for you to measure the height of your DTS 20 ? In a earlier post I beleive you said the the sub was 20 inches wide instead of 18 inches. I need to know the height because on one website it has it at 84 inches high, the Danley site has it at 88 inces high I am trying to figure out where it will go in my room. this weekend.

Thanks,

rmlowz

Hey, funny you ask, I just did this yesterday. I was checking the "actual" vs. "specified" because the cabinet the Danley's going into is a little tight.

It measures 20" across the front, i.e., the side that has the lower port. It measures 18" deep, but the power cord's connector adds about 1.5" of clearance.

The vertical dimension actually measured 87.5", or 1/2" less than the spec. I'm not sure where you got 84", but 88" is what it should read.

Back in the spring, I talked to Scott at Danley about the dimensions. The spec sheet's a little misleading since they say the DEPTH is 20" vs. the WIDTH of 18". These two should be reversed but I don't think they've corrected it since then.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the measurements. That 871/2 inches will put the sub flush under the screen in my theater. My other alternative would be midpoint on a side wall and I the would box it in and make it look like a column. The Sound Broker website is where got the 84 inches from. He frequents here often maybe he will see this and change the demensions. The next thing I need to do is buy some speakon connections and find out how to make a speaker cable with the right polarity.

Thanks again,

rmlowz

Kevin (Soundbroker) probably pulled those specs from Danley last year when they came out with the product. Danley's website was posting 18 x 18 x 84 for a while, then tweaked it to 18 x 20 x 88, with maybe an iteration or two in between.

I think putting it under the screen would by nice (laying down?) or putting it on the sidewall could be fine too. Originally, I was thinking I'd put it in a rear corner in a framed out column like you're suggesting. It would have been less expensive too. In the end, I just felt having it 1/3 of the wall across the front wall would be better.

Every room is different. I've purchased a Velodyne SMS-1 EQ to help tame any issues with the room once it's up and running.

The input is just a balanced XLR cable. I don't think you need anything special. Doesn't your Klipsch amp have a balanced output?

Chris

Hello Chris,

I purchased the passive version. I will be using the same amp as they use for the Ultra IIs by Klipsch. I purchaed some Speakon connections but they dont say + or _. I will go to a pro audio shop here in town to see if they can help me out.

Thanks,

rmlowz