Danley Labs DTS-20 On The Way

TheSoundBroker

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin,

Shipping should be in the $300-400 range for one DANLEY sub,I will for sure consider one,when its time to build a serious HT room.Price is very realistic,even a bargain conidering the performnance/space taken.

Gee this big monster we can cut in half,And we will both have a nice size box.[;)].

Amazingly, it's been one month since I last posted a photo for the kitchen and family room. Main reason is that VERY LITTLE has happenend. We've been waiting on the windows to arrive (going in tomorrow, exterior stucco on Tuesday), and the counters can't be templated until the sinks arrive (two weeks now ...).

One thing that we did get done was to prep the subwoofer cabinet (see left cabinet in photo below) for the Danley, and we have ventilation installed ... in the cabinet, you can see the top maple vent and the little black vents (temp controlled fans) in side ... passive intake is mid-cabinet opening to the TV ledge.

Belle will go beneath TV shelf in the center.

Chris

post-4827-13819311553148_thumb.jpg

It's about time! I've been waiting to see more.

At least the cabinet where the sub is going into is finished on the inside. That way you can just add some shelves should you have to move the sub. With all the output that the Danley has I don't see placement being an issue. I would now worry about vibration, but you are supposed to be able to build it in.

Keep the photos coming, and take a deep breath and try to relax. Once the cabinets are in things speed up.

ChrisR.,

When you decide you can play the BROWN note give it a try,this good for regularity. [6] If you saw a recent Myth Busters episode you will understand.Funny as hell,with all my subs I will try the brown note too.

I forgot to say the brown note is around 7-9Hz,I think your Danley ma have alot of trouble this low,hmmm time to geta real brown note sub like the ANADA from TC Sounds. [:D]

I think there may only be two subs out there that may hit the "brown note" with enough output power to cause distress (or at least have your neighbors running out into the streets crying "HOLY SH*T! [:D])

One is Bruce Thigpen's rotary woofer. 2 hz capability if memory serves me correctly so it should have the output at 7-9hz. The other is Tom Danley's REALLY big subwoofer, the Sonic Boom Cannon (131 DB at 3 hz outdoors). The Ananda looks like a good woofer, but I wonder how much output it will have at those frequencies. I can hook up a Bose cube (only if you PAY me) and get 7 hz...but the output won't be audible. Actually it would be amusing to do that just to see if we can blows the bose [6] I give it 5 seconds.

Ah the holy grail of subwoofer hood,being capable of a poopy brown note! What audiophile gone mad does not want a sub so capable.

Sonic Boom Cannon you say huh,how much? 131dB at 3Hz,HOLY .... [+o(] . Now this is some sub. A dozen of the most capanle 18" woofers in the TC Sounds inventory in a IB configuration should do a nice fat brown note worthy of Pepto Bismol in a smaller room.

The ANADA should (as a precaution)come with a free box of diapers just in case. [:D]

B0$e,you are generous.In five long seconds the Acoustic Mess fart one notey module would have both 6.5" papier mache drivers burning voice coil style.Only smoke would billow from the ports!

At least the cabinet where the sub is going into is finished on the inside. That way you can just add some shelves should you have to move the sub. With all the output that the Danley has I don't see placement being an issue. I would now worry about vibration, but you are supposed to be able to build it in.

\

I bought a Sub-dude and will place it on that for isolation. It still won't be perfect but will be a good start [;)]

Chris

PS: The Brown Note, that's funny. With the intestinal flu that's going around here now, I think we have enough challenges for the back end [:o]

I can hook up a Bose cube (only if you PAY me) and get 7 hz...but the output won't be audible. Actually it would be amusing to do that just to see if we can blows the bose [6] I give it 5 seconds.

It's not too exciting...the motor structures aren't strong enough to cause physical damage to the driver. The VC just melts long before anything goes crazy style and blowing VC's isn't too impressive.

Speaking of the "brown note", did anyone see South Park last week, when 4 million kids were playing a concert with recorders to set a world record, and one of the South Park kids inserted the note into the sheet music?

When it was played in unison and broadcast around the world, 6 billion pairs of shorts needed to be changed and civilization was brought to a temporary standstill.

Of course, a recorder or flute couldn't play anywhere near that low, so the world's underwear is safe...

Pat on the Island

• 4 weeks later...

OK, long while since posting.

Danley is in situ and awaiting connection. The Middle Atlantic ASR-48 is in place as well.

All we need are counters and appliances, and we're good to go. Our target had been Thanksgiving but I think that's shot to heck, so we're moving it to Christmas.

The ASR went in cleanly. Looks like a nice rack and will give us easier access to cables and changes when they arise. REALLY looking forward to getting the Khorns in place and the contractors out of here. Seems like we've done nothing but write checks for four months.

Arghh.

Next life, I'm going to be a GC and rip off poor unsuspecting folk like me [:S]

Just kidding. I'm sure they blow all their profit on the last 20 hours of the job. It's pareto at its worst. The last 10% of the job takes 80% of the time.

Chris

Faster now. What are you doing? Sleeping on the job?! Connect the Danley,set the gain to MAX,phase...matters not,put your ears next to the mouth of the port...after you press play and have some bass heavy material playing.Stick the Rat Shack dB meter in the port and proclaim the needle pegged at over 126dB. [:S]

...tell us how it feels. [:D]

• 4 weeks later...

Chris R.,

Long time and no news,everything ok? Is your Danley DTS20 installed? Any impressions?

Thank you

Sorry to be late in replying This is just the busiest time of the year in the house cleaning biz and Ive been in bed for a few days with the flu. Plus, were on the last week or two of the house remodel, so add it all together and what do you get? FUBAR.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Yes, the KILLER SUB FROM HELL is in place. It wasnt until I added the SMS1 though that I was really able to hear it go through its paces. The voltage output of the Sunfire is on the light side. Even with the output set to +10db, the sub was 10 db short of where it should have been. I did a quick test tone at reference volume and the house was rattling in the farthest corners. This sub is NOT for the faint-hearted.

The SMS1 starts its sweeps at 15Hz. The grill cloth was flapping like Old Glory on the 15Hz end of the sweep. The amp wasnt breaking a sweat. Amazingly, the room was pretty lumpy on the EQ curve, even though it was unpopulated with furniture and it measures a neat 30 x 19 x 9 with an open end into the kitchen. I would have thought it would have been much smoother than that.

I ran through the usual list of movies. I noticed that the settings for jazz music are around half of what is needed for movies. I also need to spend a little more time doing some real dialing in for phase. It was just set at 0 so Im sure some tweaking is in order. But even untouched, untweaked, this sub is very, very serious about LF. Amazingly, it fits in a millwork cabinet, is invisible, and just shakes the neighborhood when the LF soundtrack starts to crank. Our dog, an Aussie, has a pretty resilient nature. When we get into the LFs though, his fur goes up and he starts barking his fool head off.

Im going to invite Tom from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Savannah on up for a day of tweaking. There is still a lot to do to squeeze the best from this beast, but the raw and uncut version is pretty stunning. The first sweeps at higher volumes made me want to puke.

Enough said.

Chris