Danley Labs DTS-20 On The Way

TheSoundBroker

Ear i enjoyed my trinty for a while having it,The claims they make on their site should be more straight forward of what you are receiving,i think then they would sell more,How many can toss the money just to test it,Not many dealers have them to stock,You have to hunt them down.I sold mine and didnt loose any money,I tested a MartinLogan Descent subwoofer and purchased one,How do i like it ?,Well I like it more than the trinty i had by far,The hgs18 that I borrowed also fell in the hole beside the MartinLogan Descent ,We hauled this sub for a 1 hour trip down to a buddy's with a vel 1812,His room was about 25x30,We compared the 1812 to the descent and after deciding ,he liked my sub better.He is now thinking of selling his 1812.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chris,

I have some extra grille material from my HT build I can send to ya. It is black, open weave, works fine on my screen wall with the DTS-20 behind it.

Oh, and did anybody happen to catch the posting on the AVS forum where the guys at Danley have developed a new sub that will measure 103db from 15 to 25 hz? Not very impressive huh? Well...that is at TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY METERS! [:o]

Yes, of course I've already put in an inquiry with Danley (and my insurance company).

Freak Nasty

I would like to know how the Sunfire compares to the Descent.

Having had both in house,and listening for many long hours. The Descent has more deep bass output and can be crossed over higher.As the Sunfire has limited output once you get above 70Hz.When both are crossed very low( 50Hz and lower)the gains of audible quality from the Signature to the Descent are minor.

My two huge cents

No problem

I would not call "upgrading" from a Sunfire Sig to a Martin Logan Descent a serious upgrade,only would it qualify as serious...IF your Sunfire does not match perfectly with your mains.A Descent will match/integrate better with more speakers.

Now a Velodyne HGS18(or DD18) that is an upgrade,the Dantley should also be a MAJOR upgrade(SPL wise)and be cleaner(much lower THD down very deep,as the SIg is very clean down to around 30Hz,it distortion nothing to call the cops).

Hello,

I completed my DTS20 install late last night. WOW This is the biggest upgrade for me in quite a while. The last major upgrade many years ago was going from a receiver to seperates. This is how major this DTS20 is. I have played all my favorite demo stuff and cant beleive it!! I feel it in the concrete slab, the seating and in my chest like no other sub I have owned. I have it connected to a SMS1. I have been playing with all the presets on the remote. Did not even EQ it. I dont know if I want to. The sub fit perfect under my 100 inch Firehak screen. If you have the room I would highly recommend this sub. The sub retails for 3,000 and invest a 1,000 in a outboard amp and you have in my opinion the best sub going right now. I spent 2 days with a Velodyne 1812 that I was thinking on buying before I decedied to go the Danley route. In the same room same demo material the Danley beats it by a long shot. This is all my opinion in what I heard at my house.

Take Care,

rmlowz

Thanks for the input,sounds like the Dantley is a real bargain.At under $4000K including a Crown amp it bests $20K subs. Not the Velodyne 1812 is known for its spectacular SPL capabilities,as its a improved DD18.

Hello,

The only reason I compared the Danley to the 1812 is its the most exspensive sub that I have had in my house (2 days worth). I have the DD18 the 1812 beats it in output, but its not worth about 3 times the DD18 The Danley is better than the DD18 or the 1812.One thing the Danley has it sounds a lot like the Ultras in what I call mid bass.I have deceide that if you don't have the room go 2 Klipsch Ultras. If you have the room go DTDS 20. Both have about the same MSRP. IMHO

rmlowz

rmlows,

Dantley should DEMAND and contact all review mags,they would sell like hot cakes.The sub may be very tall or wide but takes very little space all things considered. ANd produces an output worthy of grand installations. They should pit the Dantley against the Genelec sub using 4 x 12in woofers that beat all commers in a test of mighty subs. [:D]

rmlows,

Dantley should DEMAND and contact all review mags,they would sell like hot cakes.The sub may be very tall or wide but takes very little space all things considered. ANd produces an output worthy of grand installations. They should pit the Dantley against the Genelec sub using 4 x 12in woofers that beat all commers in a test of mighty subs. [:D]

Arthur, not to be picky, but if we're going to spread the word on the DTS20, let's get the spelling straight [;)]

D-A-N-L-E-Y ...

I hope you have an opportunity to hear one sometime. Your knowledge of subs is very deep and a comparison would be interesting to hear from "TheEar".

Chris

Upgrading from the sun sig to the Martin Logan Descent is quite the improvement in bass, and pure clean output.I have never owned the sun sig but tried it for a while,The sun sig is not as clean as the ML,My ML Descent i just love, pure natural and body moving deep bass.

Chris,

Ah spelling again! DANLEY,now I have it. I will simply buy one,the price is right.Shipping to Canada is not that bad,and hearing the people who tried them and reading specs its a no brainer.

Paul,

Cut both subs very low and the "cleaner" Martin Logan is not a major upgrade from a Sunfire Signature.Major upgrade it is in a music only system with mid sized speakers being cut higher,then its a big resounding yes.