Danley Labs DTS-20 On The Way

TheSoundBroker

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The weight of the sub itself is a smidgen over 200 lbs. The crate probably adds another 100 pounds or so ... One recipient of the sub's delivery put the weight at around 400 lbs but I just can't see that myself.

We'll be prepared though, one way or another ...

I'll post some pix of the room this afternoon. It's shaping up to be a brand new, workable space!

Chris

This shot is from one end of the gutted kitchen (near where the cooktop will go) to the other end of the family room.

The casement windows at the far end of the room will be taken out and replaced by a three-section hinged door. The casement windows on the left wall will be removed and replaced with two windows that match the two lone windows on the left.

post-4827-13819307560086_thumb.jpg

No kitchen huh? Must eat out all the time?

LOL ... Actually, the kitchen will go in ... just most of it will be freestanding. There will be two islands in the middle of the kitchen area opposite where the fridg and ovens will be. The fridg you see in the room above will be going to a needy single mom.

At the far end of the room will go a gas cooktop and two counters, left and right.

It will come together in the coming weeks. Right now we're dealing with trying to assess termite damage and electrical cabling.

Ooops [:$]

Actually, we have a small one bedroom apartment with living room and kitchen over the garage. The former owners of this house built it for their mother-in-law. It's modest but more than adequate for the time being.

Painting it this spring was a total PITA. It was a bright yellow-green color that was supposed to look like the Caribbean but it looked more like a bad hangover on Sunday morning. It's now a cooler khaki color. It took two heavy coats to cover it ...

post-4827-13819307567426_thumb.jpg

Hey Chris - long time no chat. [:)]

Man - I don't remember your kitchen looking like that when I was there last. [;)] [:)]

Amazing how big that room looks with it gutted like that. Sure looking forward to seeing more pics of your progress.

Been too long since we've seen each other. And I still would love for you guys to come for a visit some time.

Take care.

Tom

Hey Chris - long time no chat. [:)]

Man - I don't remember your kitchen looking like that when I was there last. [;)] [:)]

Amazing how big that room looks with it gutted like that. Sure looking forward to seeing more pics of your progress.

Been too long since we've seen each other. And I still would love for you guys to come for a visit some time.

Take care.

Tom

Tom, ditto on the visit. My daughters are coming in mid-week from Boston and maybe a trip to the SAV mall would be in order ... I can drop them off and swing on down your way.

The room looks totally different from when you visited. This is what we were hoping for ... opening it up ... sonically, it should be a superior room.

Fingers crossed.

Chris

This shot is from one end of the gutted

kitchen (near where the cooktop will go) to the other end of the family

room.

With the first pictures of your room, I thought the "sun room" was an

addition of some sort... but it really is part of the same

structure. You will definitely get much more efficient use of the

space by joining the two... who knows what the motivation for

those "Carolina rooms" is anyways? Then again, I've always

had problems with the concept of have two living rooms (formal and

informal) as well.

To the left of the studs will go the RH

Klipschorn. I may bring that wall out a few more inches.

Since it's so easy and won't break up the room.... I would. I

remember there was a thread on the theoretical length that wall should

be (based on the khorns "mouth") and opinions varied from about 42"

(calculated) to 48" (based on Dope From Hope's false corner).

This is what we were hoping for ...

opening it up ... sonically, it should be a superior room.

It's shaping out nice... what kind of finish you got on the outside, given you'll be modifying so many of the openings?

ROb

Hey, Rob ... thanks for the input. We're pretty much on the same page.

The outside finish is stucco ... they'll reset and install the windows, then patch the outside. Shouldn't be too much work -- about a day they estimate (spread over a few).

I don't think I'll be able to bring the K-horn wall out too far without interfering with the aisle in front of the refrigerator and neighboring islands. We'll see what we can borrow.

Chris

PS: Shipping company called. Sub is being delivered tomorrow between 1 and 3 PM.

P.S.: The Danley (all 300 lbs) was delivered today. It's still in its crate in the garage. We couldn't unpack it on the truck as planned. In a week or so, we'll pull it out and ship the crate back to them.

The sub's crate was exactly the size of a coffin. My wife looked at it and laughed. Man, I just love her. [H]

• 3 weeks later...

More stuff happening today ... the end wall was taken out and the door header put in ... Electricians were here all day running new circuits ... plumbers were digging holes in the kitchen floor to trench for the drains, etc.

Here are a few shots ...

The electricians, plumbers, sheetrockers have come and come. Next come the painters and floor guys for patching and refinishing. New carpet will go in shortly as well.

post-4827-13819308132424_thumb.jpg

You can basically see the window configuration now ... The three panel door at the end of the room, the four single casement windows along the left and the single window to the right.

The single window is pretty much where the millwork will end on the left, and there will be a 24" triangular cabinet to the right of the fireplace. From the left window to the triangular cabinet will be all one contiguous piece.

post-4827-13819308133244_thumb.jpg