Danley Labs DTS-20 On The Way

TheSoundBroker

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it has been a while since this was first posted! I've been busy. Yes, the DTS-20 is in. Took six of us to carry it from the truck the 300' into my home theater building. It is...um...big!

If you stand it up, that is one mighty impressive box. If you were to lay it down, it would actually make a really good center channel stand.

The theater is finally drywalled, painted and we started in on acoustics yesterday. Just for laughs, I hooked it up and ran a sweep on it.

GOOD GOD! [:o]

To say it is powerful is...um..an understatement. I've never felt anything like that beast and I've put in a LOT of subwoofers over my 26 year career in this crazy business. Believe the numbers guys...definitely believe the numbers.

I will believe you this time[:D]

• 1 month later...

I've been crossing emails and phone calls with SoundBroker this week but we finally connected via email last night.

He had great news by the way ... My new Danley will be shipping to our home this week ... and ... it's been improved.

I don't think Kevin would mind if I posted a piece of his email:

They have improved the internal structure and Tom had another brainstorm and re-did the porting. The result is more extension down to 12 hz and more output with even less distortion.

The first wall in family room came out this week and the kitchen is coming apart starting this Tuesday. Removing the wall has really opened the space up and it is bound to be a nice listening room. I'll post a few pics later today of the before/after and post a few when the remodeling comes along.

Chris

OK, well that was pretty easy.

This is a shot of the family room before remodeling. As you can see, there is a smaller room beyond the sliders. Down here, they call these "Carolina rooms" ... but it just cuts the room in half. We're going to pull out that wall and put a new door on the outer wall. We'll also remove those old Carolina room windows and reset four evenly spaced single casement windows across the back.

post-4827-13819305213514_thumb.jpg

OK, well that was pretty easy.

This is a shot of the family room before remodeling. As you can see, there is a smaller room beyond the sliders. Down here, they call these "Carolina rooms" ... but it just cuts the room in half. We're going to pull out that wall and put a new door on the outer wall. We'll also remove those old Carolina room windows and reset four evenly spaced single casement windows across the back.

To the right of the fireplace will be a triangular cabinet, and then the RH Klipschorn in a nice big corner.

To the left of the fireplace will be the A/V cabinet, then the PTV over a Belle center, then to the left of that goes the Danley in its own cabinet ... then another triangular cabinet, a window overlooking the pool area (safety) and then the LH Klipschorn.

The tile floor is coming up and we'll recarpet the entire room.

my god its a coffin!

"A large black monolith"[:D]

Chris, I see lots of windows. I hope you don't break them.

Well, there's going to be a lot of low frequency around here so. If we don't break them, they'll sure rattle.

Most of the windows you see are coming out and will be replaced with windows that meet the current building code. We have too much glass in the room right now anyway ...

Quote:

DrWho wrote the following post at 02-25-2006 3:11 PM:

The articles I read about LF ear damage were in direct response to some of the research that tried to show no damage occurs...I really should just find the articles and post them instead of asking ppl to take my word for it...the articles were talking about sustained levels as low as 100dB that cause permanent damage. And just because the wavelengths are big and wrap around the body, doesn't mean that the sound doesn't travel down the ear (aka, just as much LF energy makes it down the ear as HF energy...if anything, high frequencies have a harder time turning the corner). Lower frequencies also have better bone conduction (which is the real issue). There is a point though where the frequency gets low enough that the behavior of the ear moves into a different "mode" for lack of a better description...(if you think about it, normal daily movement could be modelled as sound waves - which would correspond to like 5 and 8Hz, but such movements don't damage our ears....in fancy terms, I suppose we could talk about the impedance of our ear and how it acts like a high pass filter...)

FYI:

Low frequency signals can indeed cause damage, but the damage does not manifest itself in the usual manner associated with mid/high frequency hearing loss. Much of low frequency signal is not experienced via the traditional paths of the ear, but rather via conduction.

Large pressure amplitude low frequency (LPALF) noise (defined as >= 90 dB & <= 500Hz) can result in respiratory problems. It is commonly refered to as vibroacoustic disease (VAD). This is most often encountered in construction environments, although exposure to loud music can easily induce the effects as well.

This effect is confirmed by the folks at the House Ear Institute. When asked why more information is not available, they pointed out that the OSHA office on hearing damage was shut down in the very early 1990's once the basic hearing protection levels were established, so that only individuals doing research are publishing data. Additionally, they observed that most of the studies were performed by the military and NASA - not surprising when you consider the exposure of artillery personnel, etc. (Think 'sitting inside of a tank'! :-S ), as well as exposure to extra low frequency noise in space.

So beware, while there is little likelihood of developing tinnatus from LPALF signals, you are NOT out of the woods.

One of the clinical studies is documented in Pub Med 10189161, The Effect of Chronic Exposure to Low Frequency Noise on Rat tracheal Epithelia, published in Aviant Space Environment Med.

I have posted the article summary below - hope it helps alittle:

Aviat Space Environ Med. 1999 Mar;70(3 Pt 2):A86-90

The effect of chronic exposure to low frequency noise on rat tracheal epithelia.

De Sousa Pereira A, Aguas AP, Grande NR, Mirones J, Monteiro E, Castelo Branca NA

Abel Salazar Institute for Biomedical Sciences, University of Porto, Portugal.

INTRODUCTION: Vibroacoustic Disease (VAD) is a multi-systemic entity caused by occupational or chronic exposure to large pressure amplitude and low frequency (LPALF) noise (> or = 90 dB SPL, < or = 500 Hz). The clinical picture involves extra-auditory pathology, such as neurological disturbances, respiratory disorders and cardiovascular problems. Among the first complaints of VAD patients are coughing, bronchitis, and inflammation or infection of the oral cavity and the upper respiratory pathways. The goal of ths study was to investigate the effects of occupationally simulated LPALF noise exposure on rat tracheal epithelium to determine if they could explain the symptoms found in VAD patients. METHODS: We exposed 20 Wistar rats to occupationally simulated (8 h x d(-1), 5d x wk(-1)) LPALF noise for an accumulated total of 1236 h. The control group consisted of 10 age-matched rats, kept in equal conditions but in silence. Histological and ultrastructural studies were performed on the tracheal epithelia of both populations. RESULTS: The most dramatic changes were identified in the ciliated cells of the exposed rats. There were frequent images of shaggy or necrotic cilia as well as regularly to partially sheared cilia. Also, there were frequent images of different stages of cilia recovery. CONCLUSION: Occupationally simulated exposure to LPALF noise can cause important changes in ciliated cells rat tracheal epithelia. This may partially explain the clinical findings observed in VAD patients.

PMID: 10189161 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Quote:

DrWho wrote the following post at 02-25-2006 3:11 PM:

The articles I read about LF ear damage were in direct response to some of the research that tried to show no damage occurs...I really should just find the articles and post them instead of asking ppl to take my word for it...the articles were talking about sustained levels as low as 100dB that cause permanent damage. And just because the wavelengths are big and wrap around the body, doesn't mean that the sound doesn't travel down the ear (aka, just as much LF energy makes it down the ear as HF energy...if anything, high frequencies have a harder time turning the corner). Lower frequencies also have better bone conduction (which is the real issue). There is a point though where the frequency gets low enough that the behavior of the ear moves into a different "mode" for lack of a better description...(if you think about it, normal daily movement could be modelled as sound waves - which would correspond to like 5 and 8Hz, but such movements don't damage our ears....in fancy terms, I suppose we could talk about the impedance of our ear and how it acts like a high pass filter...)

FYI:

Low frequency signals can indeed cause damage, but the damage does not manifest itself in the usual manner associated with mid/high frequency hearing loss. Much of low frequency signal is not experienced via the traditional paths of the ear, but rather via conduction.

Large pressure amplitude low frequency (LPALF) noise (defined as >= 90 dB & <= 500Hz) can result in respiratory problems. It is commonly refered to as vibroacoustic disease (VAD). This is most often encountered in construction environments, although exposure to loud music can easily induce the effects as well.

This effect is confirmed by the folks at the House Ear Institute. When asked why more information is not available, they pointed out that the OSHA office on hearing damage was shut down in the very early 1990's once the basic hearing protection levels were established, so that only individuals doing research are publishing data. Additionally, they observed that most of the studies were performed by the military and NASA - not surprising when you consider the exposure of artillery personnel, etc. (Think 'sitting inside of a tank'! :-S ), as well as exposure to extra low frequency noise in space.

So beware, while there is little likelihood of developing tinnatus from LPALF signals, you are NOT out of the woods.

One of the clinical studies is documented in Pub Med 10189161, The Effect of Chronic Exposure to Low Frequency Noise on Rat tracheal Epithelia, published in Aviant Space Environment Med.

I have posted the article summary below - hope it helps alittle:

Aviat Space Environ Med. 1999 Mar;70(3 Pt 2):A86-90

The effect of chronic exposure to low frequency noise on rat tracheal epithelia.

De Sousa Pereira A, Aguas AP, Grande NR, Mirones J, Monteiro E, Castelo Branca NA

Abel Salazar Institute for Biomedical Sciences, University of Porto, Portugal.

INTRODUCTION: Vibroacoustic Disease (VAD) is a multi-systemic entity caused by occupational or chronic exposure to large pressure amplitude and low frequency (LPALF) noise (> or = 90 dB SPL, < or = 500 Hz). The clinical picture involves extra-auditory pathology, such as neurological disturbances, respiratory disorders and cardiovascular problems. Among the first complaints of VAD patients are coughing, bronchitis, and inflammation or infection of the oral cavity and the upper respiratory pathways. The goal of ths study was to investigate the effects of occupationally simulated LPALF noise exposure on rat tracheal epithelium to determine if they could explain the symptoms found in VAD patients. METHODS: We exposed 20 Wistar rats to occupationally simulated (8 h x d(-1), 5d x wk(-1)) LPALF noise for an accumulated total of 1236 h. The control group consisted of 10 age-matched rats, kept in equal conditions but in silence. Histological and ultrastructural studies were performed on the tracheal epithelia of both populations. RESULTS: The most dramatic changes were identified in the ciliated cells of the exposed rats. There were frequent images of shaggy or necrotic cilia as well as regularly to partially sheared cilia. Also, there were frequent images of different stages of cilia recovery. CONCLUSION: Occupationally simulated exposure to LPALF noise can cause important changes in ciliated cells rat tracheal epithelia. This may partially explain the clinical findings observed in VAD patients.

PMID: 10189161 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I guess it's implied that we need to wear body armour and earplugs, else we be consigned to the Sick Bay.

Or just turn down the volume [:D]

Chris... happy to see your room finally getting underway. It was

only a matter of time that someone here matched horn mains with the

Danley sub. Are these pictures current and have you received the

DTS-20?

I guess it's implied that we need to wear

body armour and earplugs, else we be consigned to the Sick Bay.

Or just turn down the volume [:D]

[;)] My neighbour (detached homes...) *politely* mentioned he can

hear my basement system with both our windows closed... so I may have

to try your volume knob trick too...

ROb

Chris... happy to see your room finally getting underway. It was only a matter of time that someone here matched horn mains with the Danley sub. Are these pictures current and have you received the DTS-20?

I guess it's implied that we need to wear body armour and earplugs, else we be consigned to the Sick Bay. Or just turn down the volume [:D]

[;)] My neighbour (detached homes...) *politely* mentioned he can hear my basement system with both our windows closed... so I may have to try your volume knob trick too...

ROb

Thanks, Rob. I must honestly say that I'm very interested to hear this horn-loaded sub with the Klipschorns. It seems to be in a class by itself, as are the K-horns, so I think the matching will produce dividends.

Today the supporting beam joining the two rooms (Carolina and family) went in. Windows will be coming out in the next week or so, and tomorrow the kitchen is being taken apart down to the studs and ceiling.

I placed a call to Danley today to ask what their delivery date was going to look like. No word yet but the next week or two for sure. It's the powered DSP version according to Kevin which will be great.

Our neighbors aren't into music so I think we'll have to be a little careful with the airplane crashes and cannon fire [;)]

Best to you, Rob. Hope your life is looking up a little these days ...

Chris

Hope your life is looking up a little these days ...

Things are settling down... you know how that goes. Life has been

really good to me, so you got to expect some speed bumps. There

are some advantages too... why do you think the neighbour can hear my

system inside his home? [:D]

Keep us posted on your audio room construction... it's shaping up to give most of us a run for our money...

ROb

Scott @ Danley called this afternoon to say that the DTS-20 left the factory today and will be delivered on Monday by a truck with a liftgate. The crated package weighs around 300 lbs and he suggested that we unpack it on the truck. He spray painted the screws red that need to be backed out. They don't charge for the crating but they're expensive to make so they're going to try returning the crate (like the Cornwall Vaults).

I won't have this beast hooked up for weeks yet but I'll try to take a few pics of the unpacking and unloading. Should be fun.

Chris