Best room size for positioning K horns

IndyKlipschFan

IKF,

The bigger, the better!

High ceilings!

Mathematically unrelated room length, height and width dimensions.

One particular set of dimensions I've seen recommended in a number of places is 10 x 16 x 21 (1:1.6:2.1)

I use k-horns in a music room that is 8.67'x16'x18.5'. Not perfect, and a little smallish, but poor people have poor ways. cwm36.gif I'm very happy with the sound, though. No boom!

------------------

JDMcCall

My listening area is ~15'W x 20'L x 8.5'H, but it is in an unfinished basement. The physical walls are behind the K-horns and along one long side, there are studs down the other long side to divide the listening room from a 4' hallway and a rear wall that is ~14' behind my listening position.

I am sure this is not ideal and I have no idea how adversely the sound will be affected when I finish off the basement and enclose the listening room. I know I will have to worry about reflections, standing waves etc. at that time.

I have the K-horns out of the corners angled more toward the listening position, and I have attempted to seal off the bass bins with 3/4" MDF.

------------------

Ed W

• 1 year later...

I'm resurrecting this old post again as I am an owner of a new pair 2002 model Klipschorns (still in the box) as they await for a new home being built. Currently, the dimension of the room is 18 x 22 x 8 (W x L x H in ft)

I've read Klipschorns need a fair size room but can anyone confirm the minimum size room, optimal size, and largest size room that Klipschorns will sound reasonably good in?

I've seen countless of Klipschorn owners selling their speakers just because they say "don't have the space, room is too small or not idea, blah blah.." Yet, no one has stepped up to say what size room is ideal? I mean, do Klipschorns sound that bad if they're placed in a small room that one has to sell them?

BQ

sorry u regulars.........I'm getting tired of it too

There is no such thing as an absolute optimum room size for the Klipschorn. Obviously, the larger the room, the fewer acoustical problems you will have, especially at lower frequencies. Klipschorns need some room to breathe, so smaller rooms won't really do the speaker any justice. Klipsch proposed using the Khorn in domestic environments up thru "small theaters".

More important than room size, are the rooms proportions. there is a mathematical ratio commonly called the Golden Mean. Also known as the Golden Section or Fibonacci Sequence. As applied to room acoustics, it can predict the Eigenton distribution of a room (the rooms modes where resonant frequencies will occur, and/or overlap). The smaller the room, the more modal problems occur, primarily in the lower frequencies. Also the smaller the room gets, the more (higher) frequencies are affected.

The Golden Mean ratios for proper room proportions is: 1:1.26:1.59 (1 to 1.3 to 1.6) (height to width to length). There are a wide range of ratios that are suitable. And certainly good sounding rooms can be found outside of these proportions. Obviously the worst case condition would be cubical where all 3 room dimensions are the same as that of a particular wavelength of sound, causing a substantial room resonance at that frequency.

A range from 1 to 1.26 to 1.59, to 1 to 1.6 to 2.5 can be considered good. The old studio 116 at Klipsch in Hope, AK. was 10x16x25, which falls outside of the ideal ratio but was still considered good.

Just as important (if not more) are the rooms acoustics. It will do you little good to get the rooms proportions ideal, and then ignore proper BROADBAND diffusion & absorption, and reverberation time relative to frequency.

See arttos klipschorn room in the architectural topic area for a more in depth description of construction methods & acoustic techniques.

BQ, according to "Dope from Hope" Vol. 9 No. 1, Supplement Apr. 1969; the Klipsch Studio Facility is 16'x25'x10'. Not all homes have interior demensions like their studio, so an ideal room size in a normal home would be 17'x21'x8', which is considered "near perfect".

I've read elsewhere that the minimum distance between Klipschorns should 3 meters (also 3 meters minimum to the sweet-spot). The more, the better. Anything less than 3 meters would degrade their capabilities.

Hope this helps.

As we all know i have 4 in a 16X65 modular home!

1 room is 15X 20 the other is 15X 15!

Smaller rooms make the k-horns explosive in sound, but if you had the acurate room for them, i would rather do that instead, these sound great on 1 wall 30 feet apart, i just couldnt keep them that way!

Regards Jim9.gif

Klipschorns definitely like plenty of room to do their stuff. Mine are in my large finished basement. HOWEVER, I have had them in little bedrooms over the years and even then they sounded good. It's only natural that if you're in a small room you'll have the volume turned down accordingly.

I don't know why people are always putting in their for sale ads that they don't have enough room for them. Might be just an excuse, or the NWAF. They'll work in any reasonable-size room, but they'll love a bigger one.

Speaking of golden ratios, the Klipschorn's front dimensions were designed with this ratio in mind (from hifilit.com, in the Klipsch section) to achieve pleasant aesthetics.

I've heard my cornwalls in two rooms, mine (8 x 18 x 20+) and from the guy I bought them (very odd shaped, small square footage room, 16 foot ceiling with lots of books) and IMHO, they sounded more natural in the odd shaped room.

Mace

• 20 years later...