Amazon.com... buy "new" or "used"??

Coytee

seems you can save a bit of cash if you buy used. Are there scam opportunities there like on ebay?

I'm not against buying "new" but if I can get the same thing and save an additional 25/50%... well...uh... it'd mean I'd have that much more to spend on my Klapperhorns!

Any thoughts?

I proceed with extreme caution when considering a purchase from any eBay seller with a feedback rating under 99%.

In my personal experience, I have had a hard time finding a seller on Amazon offering any used item I looked for, with a feedback record over 80% positive which means that one out of every 5 transactions ended in a negative experience for the buyer. Your mileage might vary.

As far as New items I have purchased driectly from Amazon (mostly books for my kids), I give Amazon an A++ on everything but price.

Here's an example of which I speak:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000ARNDL/sr=8-3/qid=1141167625/ref=pd_bbs_3/102-6400830-3982533?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Seems I can buy it "new" for $9.97 or "club price" of $7.49 or "used" for as low as $4.46

I'm strictly speaking of Amazon and not ebay.

Are these "used" sellers potentially scammers like on ebay or since this is going through Amazon, is it reasonable to consider it safe?

I've never done anything through Amazon so I'm sitting here debating if I want to spend $100 verses let's say $200. If it's all legit, then I'm all for saving all I can. On the other hand, I don't want to get scammed so I'm asking others here if anyone has bought off Amazons "club" or "used" selections.

I have purchased many DVD's and CD's from Amazon, all new, and always recieve top quality, and service. Most of the time, if you spend more than $25.(that's easy) FREE shipping. You can't beat that with a stick. Great stock, many items you won't find in the stores.Many cd's that aren't available elsewhere Eric Burdon, Electric Flag, try to find those at Best Buy. If it's on DVD they have it, customer reviews,and many at a discount. Give it a try, You'll like it.

I would much rather buy a concert DVD, than a cd, and they have a great selection of DVD's. No Scammers like E-spay!!

I've purchased quite a few used books and CD's from (through) Amazon,

with very good results, including hard-to-find items. Recommended.

Amazon's "Free Shipping for Orders over $25" has served me well, too.

Downside: I don't support my LBS and LRS as I should, but being as they

are just company stores anyway, I don't lose TOO much sleep over it.

I buy so many books from Amazon I have purchased the "premier" service, which is free 2nd day shipping for any Amazon stocked purchase. That has worked very well for me.

That aside, I have also purchased lots of CDs and used books, often for less than can be had on Ebay.

Last year I noticed that Amazon had allowed their "associates" to raise rates for shipping. That's the place where you have to be careful now with the "used" section on Amazon. You can't really tell what it will be until it's in your cart.

Now I often find the added shipping makes a used item more expensive than new on the same site.

Still, it is the best place I know of for purchasing music and books. I find alot of out of print books there.

I've bought a Butt Load of CD's off Amazon,ZERO problems,all sellers that I've bought from have shipped asap. Plus it's easy to manage your account with Amazon. Steve Hoffman forum iclassifieds is a good site for used CD's and Vinyl too,but you have to post 21 times or more to be able to post in the classified section. I've bought several DCC Gold and out of print cd's from SH members and have been very happy. But stuff sells real fast there,usually late at night!

Plus I've bought several mofi cd's off Amazon and DCC Gold,a couple I've aksed the seller if they would lower the price and a few have. Never hurts to ask.

Cheers,

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd report back...

The amazon goodies arrived today

David Benoit, best of

Frederick the Great,: Chamber music

Eric Clapton: Live in Hyde Park

Supertramp: The story so far

INXS: Live baby Live

Cream: Royal Albert Hall

Moody Blues: Lovely to see you

Interestingly, virtually EVERY ONE of the used ones I bought arrived DAYS ago!! Talk about snap to service!

This was a very good experience and now that I've done it, one that I won't mind doing, nor recommending again!

Used titles were

Michael Buble (forget names, but 3 of his cd's)

Supertramp: Live in Paris

David Benoit: Peanuts music (again, forget name)

I have dealt with Amazon and liked the results. I always buy new, so I can't comment on used. They have good prices on most new, and throw in free shipping, what's not to like?Amazon doesn't seem to be a breeding ground for scammers like E-spay seems to be. To this point, any transaction with Amazon, has been good, and I would recommend it to you.