SCOTT 233 OR 299

jcmusic

Go for the 233. These units come with 6u8 or 7199 driver tubes to complement the EL 84 output tubes. At 22 watts/ channel they are more than enough for any Klipsch speaker. It just seems to me the 233 have better bass and resolution than the 299. Just my opinion.

My little study is sporting a 299D that's been completely gone through,...I love it! Listening to this gem makes me realize how right these guys had it all those years ago. Right now I'm listening to it's matching stablemate a Scott LT110B that I got from Craig at NOS Valves.

Go for the 233. These units come with 6u8 or 7199 driver tubes to complement the EL 84 output tubes. At 22 watts/ channel they are more than enough for any Klipsch speaker. It just seems to me the 233 have better bass and resolution than the 299. Just my opinion.

The 233 uses 7591 output tubes and makes about 28 watts per channel. It usually comes with 6U8 driver/phase inverters but they made a few with 7199's. Both the 299B and 233 are very nice amps. If both are electrically original they both will require some work to perform there best. The 233 being newer will usually cost less to rebuild but this cost savings could be diminished if it needs output tubes since the 7591's are at least double the money. I prefer the 299B myself by a small margin its hard to beat a 7189/EL84 for sweet balanced tone.

Craig

I think you mean 299A if so the front of the amp will simply say 299 anything else will have a B, C or D. The original 299 is often called a 299A even though it was never really named that from the factory. Now if this is a 299A make sure the output transformers and the output tubes run across the back of the amp left to right! if they run front to back on the left side just get the 233. The version with them running front to back along the left side should be avoided since its known to have transformer problems.

Craig

Craig, my mistake I did mean 299. As it turns out he informs me that it indeed is a 299b.

Also says it's all original no mods, ready to plug and play. I guess I will check it out as is

for a while, and go from there. Thanks for your imput. Jay

Jay,

Cool grab that 299B for sure. Now let me caution you. Don't fool yourself into thinking any 45+ year old tube amplifier is plug and play ready! By all means go ahead and give it a whirl. But please don't keep using it until something lets loose after all it is only a matter of time. Also one absolute positive thing is the amp is not going to sound as good as it could or did when new. I have rebuilt 100's of vintage amps and have never had one on my bench working 100% in orignal condition. They often work and some even sound darn good which is surprising if you think about it. Just keep a close eye while running it and don't leave it running when your not around if something starts to go your speakers will tell you[;)]

Craig