Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

MrMcGoo

Its interesting that you have to pay a little more to get the 2 disk version versus a a single disk version for the first time with Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Terrific deal if you want a complete set of all 4 Harry Potters with 2 disks each (eight total) goes on sale this Tuesday. This Harry Potter represented a abrupt change in the usual Harry Potter fare, but if your a fan . . . highly recommended!

The Goblet of Fire did $295,000,000 at the box office if my memory is correct. The higher price for the 2 disk set is reasonable in a seller's market.

The sound track on the last Potter flick was plain 5.1 DD as near as I could tell. The prior 2 were Surround EX. The fourth movie will probably have only a Dolby sound track. I would like to see a DTS sound track, but it probably takes up too much space.

Bill

Each new Potter book gets longer that the prior book. Each movie has to cut out more detail to make it to distribution before the "kids" hit 20 years old. The new Potter flick has many dark scenes in it, but the best aspects of the book are in the movie.

The special effects are very good as is the sound. The DVD sound track is better in a good home system than in most commercial theaters. You may need to tweak your DVD player's video settings to deal with the night scenes.

Bill

I look forward some day to checking it out. The first was the best, something about the kids getting older takes a lot out of the subsequent movies. Heck, maybe I'm getting older.......

Yeah but, each movie represents a new year for them in the school, thus, them growing older fits in perfectly with the movies. I can't choose a best, they all have been so well done.

• 4 weeks later...

The first was so fresh and so new. The next was surprising because it was a worthy sequel. Then, after that, the same old "British" humor intermingled with the cute little visual effects began to grow old. I slept at the last one. Not that it was bad - it was just "old."

Agreed, I didnt like the last one either. And what was up with that ending?

I think Prisoner of Azkaban was the best of the movies so far and the Chamber of Secrets was my least liked of all. I thought Goblet of Fire concentrated too much on the competition and not enough on the lives of the students but that's just me. I have not read the book yet but the other 3 members of the household have and they said you wouldn't believe how much of the first of the book was cut-out, especially the Quititch tournament at the beginning. I hope this kids are investing their money wisely because they're going to be so typecast that they'll likely never make it in the movie business after this series is over.

Grateful11

PS: I hear it's going to late 2007 before the next installment hits the Big Screen.

• 2 weeks later...