Wanamaker Pipe Organ

All I can say is wow. My friends and I have been on a road trip for the past week (PA to Florida and back) and we spent the day in downtown Philadelphia today. While there, we dropped in on the Lord & Taylor Store for the noon concert. The aesthetics of the organ itself were pretty impressive, but the amount of power, smoothness and clarity is simply unmatched by any other instrument I have ever heard. As an added bonus, the larger pipe ranks cut through your chest like you wouldn't believe. I also liked the organ's ability to play the quieter passages with clarity while still being able to bellow out the powerful movements. Honestly, I cannot recommend *edit* enough *edit* stopping in for a listen yourself if you like pipe organs and you're in the Philadelphia area. They always have two daily concerts so catch one in the early afternoon or evening. Unfortunately I didn't recognize all the pieces played so I am not able to give a piece by piece breakdown.

Hearing recordings of this fine instrument through a pair of Klipsch is impressive enough...imagine actually being there during a concert performance!

You won't find anything like this at your local shopping mall...

post-11084-13819283992694_thumb.jpg

I was JUST going to add that the Wanamaker organ is the worlds largest FULLY OPERATIONAL pipe organ. The Atlantic City Auditorium organ is larger, but not fully functional. Come to think of it, I have never heard the Wanamaker organ. Does anyone know of any good recordings?

If you liked the Wanamaker, you have to go to France and hear some of the organs they have there. St Sulpice and Notre-Dame among others. Their reeds are the best. Period. They also have a knack for making large-scale 32' Contra Bombardes. :)

But we have some pretty nice ones right here too. Go onto the AGO NYC site and go to some concerts.

I was JUST going to add that the Wanamaker organ is the worlds largest FULLY OPERATIONAL pipe organ. The Atlantic City Auditorium organ is larger, but not fully functional. Come to think of it, I have never heard the Wanamaker organ. Does anyone know of any good recordings?

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=gothic&query=wanamaker&.autodone=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gothicrecords.com%2F

i wonder why all these department stores have organs... I mean I know back then it was made to attract customers..... but today I associate pipe organs with church which I percieve as a sort of heresy to have something associated with church and another with spending money