Face it: You need a big TV for movies...

kenratboy

...I almost have to laugh when I see some of you guys who have

separates, some REALLY nice speakers, some fridge-sized sub (or house

sized subs, you IB people [:)] )...but there is a 10 year old 25" RCA

sitting there.

We lived with 27 and 32-inch TV's for years, and thanks to my discount,

finally pulled the trigger on a 52" Mits for the main system (about 4

months ago).

Oh...my...god...

You have NO idea what you are missing. Even a visually-lacking

movie (Get Shorty, for example) can just come alive on a large

TV. Add your existing sound system and it is just stunning.

Watch a movie like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, etc. and it is just unreal.

Basically, if you have a nice audio system, and a, well, budget TV, and

are planning on 'getting that new amp' or 'upgrading the sub'.

STOP, consider a large TV. This may be the best thing you have

done for your AUDIO system. Trust me!

Anyone have a similar story or experience?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I never knew how true your statement was until i got a new tv 65", replaced 32"

Before it was all sound, the picture never matched how big the sound was[ sounds silly i know ]. Now big picture matches the sound, one day a projector.

I agree completely, and have mentioned this very same thing to some of

my friends. My conversation goes something like "Some people on

the forum have these killer home theater speakers, but are still

watching a 28" TV". So, I do agree that an upgrade will

make a huge difference. I am slightly biased though, since I am

99% movies, 1% music.

LOL, yeah I suppose you are right, I have a buddy who is totally into the video side of it, has a nice denon dvd, panny 900 & 106" screen, but his AUDIO side of it is pretty low/midgrade.

I wish I could agree completely with you, but I feel I added my tensioned 92" electric draper & panasonic 700 more for my guests than myself, I am pretty content to watch on my 32" sony. I'm way more proud of my RF-7's and svs subs than I am my projector. (it's just hard to tell someone you have an awesome HT system and the first thing they say is "cool how big of a TV do ya got?............uggggh!) People who aren't into this are way more easily impressed with a big TV (it doesn't matter wether you paid 1,500 or 15,000 just as long as it's big.....again uuuggghhhh), than when you tell them about your audio part. Half of the time when I tell people what I have they say "yeah I've got some big speakers too, my pioneer 12"s are really loud!" uuuuugggggggghhhhhhhhhhh! It's only here where I find the people to be a little more refined when it comes to good HT![:D]

• Moderators

Well Scooterdog with La Scala's , thats a lot of sound even for 106", With that setup it could be a lot of sound for a normal theater I heard La Scalas before.

Every time i see a list of speakers like yours or Indy's all La Scala setup it makes you think, if something went wrong with the amps in the middle of a movie, and they would blast out full power you could kill someone before you could reach the remote ! Or it would at least make you ruin your pants, no kidding it would hurt.

106" hahaha I did that size too. I like the feel of that size in my 17x30 room.. Much bigger, and it feels too big and you can't see the whole picture.. I think you can overdo it.. at either extreme too. Too big and you can't take all of the screen in your mind like sitting in the front row at a cinema...... Too small, and the movie does not seem like a big deal, even with great sound.

For a projector I think 96" min.... for most home theaters... go to where it feels good to you from there.

For HT at home... 50" + I think is ideal.

Just my thoughts..and observations. I have a friend that shines it on his wall.. almost 9-10 feet high. While the "novelty" is cool, when you see it this way..... It is hard to watch really at that size...

The year Digital HD is mandatory and analog TV is cut off, I will purchase one of the new Toshiba SED wide screen HD sets. It should have been out a year by then and all of the bugs corrected. It will fit in nicely with my Klipsch home theater 5.1 audio system. The timing of the arrival of the SED technology is perfect.

Donald

^^^ That's a couple years minimum...

I think that's a lot of depravation to suffer through, go ahead, get out of the penalty box and treat yourself.

I went from a 27" to a 42" RP in my tiny room with seating distance of 6-8', the transformation was amazing...

Donald, the date has been pushed back again and only digital is mandatory, HD is not.

I think that the screen has as much do to with the experience as dose the audio. I know when we went from a good sound setup on the 32" TV to a better audio setup and 108" projection, there was a HUGE night and day difference. It is hard to go back.