Face it: You need a big TV for movies...

kenratboy

Indy,

I'm actually between Canada and Pakistan a lot these days... And aside from the jetlag and not knowing which side of the world I'm on, it's actually not too bad. :)

But as I was saying, I'm actually in Toronto now at least for the next couple months and should be going to NY sometime this month for a week or so.

So if you have any leads, pass em on... I'd be more than happy to chase up on them.

Glad to hear you're happy with the projector... All the reviews sound amazing on it. What price range did you get it for?

-Fauzi

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there is a place for both large and small displays today.

Until standard definition programming is no longer with us, a small CRT will still provide the best picture. Blowing up standard definition programming to larger sizes just makes all the compression artifacts worse.

Keep the large screens for DVD's and HD material.

Back to the topic at hand, I am sure bigger can be better, but how do i decide if my living room is better suited to a 43 incher than a 50? My concern that a sitting distance of approx 8 or 9 feet in a 16x18 room may make me turn my head (or eyes darting side to side) too much if i go 50. Any (informed) thoughts??

I have a 55" Sony and sit about 8' away. Not a problem at all. To make sure, I took a tape measure to Ultimate Electronics, layed out the distance and spent almost an hour watching the same model I purchased.

For the people who own projectors how loud is the fan?

I can sit 12-13 feet back from where I would have the screen but the projector would be right above me and if I heard the fan running it would be annoying.

But a 9 foot screen would be nice.

I need to go and auditions projectors. The few I have seen I have not been impressed with.

Not True ! You really only need it for Pro Football in HD . In fact when I first got my 50" DLP a couple of years ago I was seriously contemplating taking it back and getting the 40" one . "It really seemed to Dominate my 16' x 20' room" . Untill Football season rolled around , and then I was Kicking myself for not getting the 61" version of the same set ...

My projector is directly over and behind my head at about 8' high. I do not hear it unless it is turned off and is in cooling mode. I may not need to build a hush box, it is that quiet.

Obviously, your mielage may vary with your projector.

"His and Her Room"

If I had to do it again, I would have bought a projector instead of my

65". My HT is on a lower level 'walkout' level, and the room is

plenty big, but there is A/C ductwork that extends L-R across the

center of the room, and the ceiling is 14" lower along that line. I was

worried that it would interfere with a projector, so I took the easy

way out and got the big TV instead. In hindsight, I think I could have

found a way to make it work. When it's time for me to replace my

current TV, I will find a way to make a HD-projector work in my

situation. I guess all I would have to do is hang the projector so the lense is 14" down from the ceiling......LOL

Considering my room is a finished room, finding a way to deal with the

wiring is also a concern. I dont really want exposed wires running

along my ceiling.

For the people who own projectors how loud is the fan?

I can sit 12-13 feet back from where I would have the screen but the projector would be right above me and if I heard the fan running it would be annoying.

But a 9 foot screen would be nice.

I need to go and auditions projectors. The few I have seen I have not been impressed with.

We sit under the PJ and it is rated at 25db. With the audio turned up to reference levels, there is no problem with fan noise but if you are listening for it, in the quiet passages of a move you can hear it. But for us, we tend to get involved in the movie and really don't hear it.

My infocus 4805 does have some fan noise but it also sits above me. In all honesty I don't notice it during movies though. Probably because the volume is up and I am inthralled in the movie. If I stop to listen for it I do hear it. I have thought about a hush box to remove this problem but have not gotten around to building one. I'm sure the next projector I buy will be a more high end so I hope it is a little more quite. In the big picture of things it ranks towards the bottem.

scooter