Question on Port placement ...Again!

jwc

Well, I don't see a cutout.

Again my concern is the testing of these. I can't glue the pieces together until I know exactly what length to use. The vibrations w/in the cabinet will probably make them fall apart w/o the glue.

I'm going out of town this weekend and will be able to resume the cutouts next week.

I appreciate the input so far.

At this point my goal so far is this.

Dual Ports below the driver aligned horizontally and very close to each other. Ports/flare to be at least 4 inches from the bottom of the cabinet. Place driver as close to top of cabinet as possible.

I am gonna have to unmount the driver everytime I need to change a port length. Can I get a vote on what length to use for each port to start with. Remember, this is a 6.5 cu ft cabinet and I am using Bob's Pre-1985 K33E-like driver.

jc

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Again my concern is the testing of these. I can't glue the pieces together until I know exactly what length to use. The vibrations w/in the cabinet will probably make them fall apart w/o the glue.

Duct tape?

I am gonna have to unmount the driver everytime I need to change a port length. Can I get a vote on what length to use for each port to start with. Remember, this is a 6.5 cu ft cabinet and I am using Bob's Pre-1985 K33E-like driver.

What tuning point are you aiming for? I came home for spring break and thus don't have all my numbers, but isn't the cornwall tuned somewhere between 35 and 45 Hz? You definetly want to tune on the low side because it's easier to make the port shorter than it is to make it longer. I believe a 30Hz tuning comes to 8" per port (from mouth to mouth - ignore the correction chart that comes with the ports). I would start there and shave down as necessary.

Don't forget to use T-Nuts on the driver so you don't have to worry about stripping the wood:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-778

Is this what you're looking for?

The drawing shows up while editing, but is not visible to me in the edited post. Is the drawing visible to everyone else? The upgraded forum will take practice.

Use the attach file button, not the insert image button. Insert image only works for files already uploaded to a server on the internet (right now you are linking to your harddrive). The attach file button can be found on the "options" tab up a bit higher. (you will see "compose" "options" "related" "preview")

Hmm. Is that image for the 4 inch?

Man, I'm not sure why I didn't think of Duct tape.

I am predicting a final port length between 4-6 inches. I just want a fairly flat response. Will probably be tuned just under 40Hz.

I have always contemplated the T-nuts. Don't have any. I am expecting to only unmount the driver a few times. I will start with #8 screws and the final will have #10.

jc

I don't recall seeing cutout plans with mine either.

Jwcullison, I believe these plans on the LS project that I am doing was your Idea.

Have you ever ported LS through the to section? or just an Idea?

oops. I missed this question. I was involved in some past threads regarding porting the La Scala...It could have been me.

If I were port the La Scala and build from ground up, I would use the top section as the ported section and turn the bass bin upside down. The just set a 511 and tweeter on top.

Just a thought. Why not cut the baffle board in half ( actually closer to the woofer leaving enough room for a horizonal brace where the two Baffle parts meet. This will allow you to remove the bottom portion to tune the ports. It would also allow you to make extra bottom pieces to try different port placement.

It is my experience the port placement is not critical so long as there are no obstructions front or back to cause turbulence and you tune the ports in the box real time ( theoretically one could possibly stick the ports in backwards so they extend out in the room for convenience while tuning). I found that if you place the ports in the bottom corner of the box it works fine but the tuning length is a bit shorter than elsewhere on the baffle.

Xover, that is a clever idea with the different baffle for the ports. Good idea for a testing box. May consider doing that on another project.

Roto. I would like to see the pics if you get a chance. Will you port in front or back?

Bt the way, I grew up on Primrose street. This neighborhood had a park on the corner of an intersection. My backyard was a cotton field. My sisters went to Washington Academy. Once I hit Kindergarden, I moved to Starkville. My father used to manage one of the first Honda dealers Called C & W Honda (Cullison and Woods).

jc

Nice to have stiff competition with a Mississippi boy. I know all about STIFF competition....right Todd.

Looks like your cabinets and mine will have a bunch of BEC stuff.

jc

Hey guys,

This is just another project for me. I, for sure am not an expert!

I always wanted a set of LS and this is the only way I could justify it.

I owe you guys on this forum for all your help. Bruce has gone beyond

the call of duty with info. I just hope these things sound as go as they look!

Anyone with advice on how much stuffing (insulation) to put in this turkey?

Anyone with advice on how much stuffing (insulation) to put in this turkey?

I would only put stuffing at the bottom of the bass bin and then underneathe the top panel. I would not line the vertical sections of the doghouse (it'll affect the behavior of the driver in the port). The only other place I might consider insulation would be along the top of the bottom panel in the top section (the panel the crossover is sitting on).

If possible, I would try mounting the crossover to one of the vertical sections in the top-section. I also highly doubt you'll need insulation along these vertical sections due to a point of diminishing returns (the size of the panel is very small relative to the wavelengths, and you won't really be exciting horizontal waves).

For a cheap solution you can go to your local fabric store and purchase pillow filling...it's the same poly-fill stuff that audio stores will over charge for. Always start with no stuffing and then add as needed. You should be able to clearly hear any resonations that are occuring. As far as mounting - I usually get by with just not sanding the wood and the stuffing kinda sticks like velcro. If it's not sticking well then you can even try using some velcro, but I usually go with T-Pins. If you go with quilt stuffing, it comes in sheets which makes it very easy to fold and hold its shape. You want the stuffing to be firm, but not hard and definetly not fluffy. And you probably want it about 3" think or so.

Anyways, this is just my limited experience of stuffing...I'm sure others will chime in.