k-55-x mid-range upgrade

RAD

I recently completed upgrading my 9 year old Belles with Bob Crites tweeters with very positive results. I am now considering changing out the original k-55-m mid-range drivers with the new k-55-x drivers. Has anyone done this or does anyone know the difference between the two. I have ALK networks in them also. Any input on this would be appreciated.

You would be taking a step backwards -- stay put.

Dean or RAD...

Am I right in thinking that the K55M is the one with solder connections? It's the K55V which has the push spring connectors?

I think I'm hearing Dean suggest that the M is better than the V... is that right?

Could you say more about that?

Thanks.

You would be taking a step backwards -- stay put.

Dean or RAD...

Am I right in thinking that the K55M is the one with solder connections? It's the K55V which has the push spring connectors?

I think I'm hearing Dean suggest that the M is better than the V... is that right?

Could you say more about that?

Thanks.

Hi Daddy Dee

First there was the K55V with push terminals until approx. 1980/1981 and then the

K55V with solder terminals was introduced which was used until Klipsch had to go with Electro Voice for the K55M when the Alnico Magnet Material became unavaible. The orginal K55V(push terminal) has a single phase plug and the K55V(solder terminal) has a two piece phase plug. Some consider the two piece phase plug K55V to be the better one due to some K55V(push terminal) drivers having what has been described as a 9kHz peak in it's response.

I have both the K55V(solder terminal) and the K55M and to me they sound pretty much identical. For what ever reason I kinda feel that the K55V(maybe) blended with the K77 tweeter (efficiency wise very slightly better) but I wouldn't swear to it.

mike[:)]

Does Electro-voice make the K-55-x driver also? What is the difference between it and th k-55-m? I have already been told not to put in the k-55-x as that is going backwards but I am still curious what the difference is.

The K-55X is the K-55V and is the Atlas PD-5VH. All made by Atlas and all have alnico magnets. The K-55M was made by Electrovoice and has a ceramic magnet. The K-55M is discontinued and not supported at all by EV anymore. Including the diaphragm no longer being produced.

Bob Crites

Was the K55-M basically the same as the Electro Voice 1824M? I've never opened a K55-M to compare. I have several diaphragms for the 1824M which is the same diaphragm as the 1823M but will fit only the older ones with the round fins not the ones with the more squared fins. The 1823M was alnico, the 1824M was ceramic.

Here's a good laugh.

The picture below is two K55V drivers. the bottom one has the proper diaphragm in it. Notice how the connections are flat straps going straight out. The other one is where some idiot stuck a K55M diaphragm in it thinking it was the same. The wires are tinsel and gong off at the wrong angle. The worst part is that the voice could cout NOT be centered. It would buzz no matter what you did. I had to replace the diaphragm with PD-5 diaphragms, then everything was fine!

Al K

post-2934-13819284236964_thumb.jpg