What do i need to add to improve my system

Ill admit i dont know a whole lot about audio systems other than the face that i like them.

i am currently trying to upgrade/improve my home stereo. mine is

great as it is but id like more. here is what i have

2 Klipsch quartet floor loudspeakers

Nakamichi TA-4A Receiver / High Definition Tuner Amplifier

each are from approx 1991.

I definitely want to keep the speakers. and the receiver

But i dont know what do as far as getting

more speakers (if so what kinds will match up well), a subwoofer, and

any other equipment that might be needed.

Please help me out giving me your advice, or opinions. Any feedback is much appreciated

You might want to take this post down to the 2-channel or HT areas -- also add a dollar amount showing how much you are willing to spend. This part of the forum is for people who are butchering and ruining their speakers.:)

I just looked up some pics of the Quartets very interesting I wouldn't mind hearing a pair and I couldn't imagine them lacking much bass. I would focus on your 2 channel setup before adding speakers. It sounds like you have decided to keep you receiver and speakers so that really leaves you with turntable and or cd player upgrades, room treatments etc. There are alot of great budget cd players on the market rotel, nad, ah!, and cambridge audio just to name a few. If you are lucky enough to have a high end audio store in town see what they will let you demo in your home.

Hint try out a tube integrated amplifier.[:D]

You might want to take this post down to the 2-channel or HT areas -- also add a dollar amount showing how much you are willing to spend. This part of the forum is for people who are butchering and ruining their speakers.:)

LOL

Updates Modifications And Butchering

In your profile, please specify your system: # of channels now and planned, amps, subs, room size, acoustic treatments, EQ, music source (iPod, PC, DVD, etc.), your age, music and movie preferences, percent of movie versus music listening, preferred volume level, musical instrument experience, must have features, etc! That way, the thoughtful posters here can provide answers tailored to your situation, not just simply spout off their preferences for their own situation.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

That said, I say get a sub, it will make a wonderful difference in your music and movies. Next reco? Get a refurbished vintage integrated tube amplifier.[H]

Thanks for the private vote of confidence, but you will get better answers from the wise posters in this wonderful Forum.

You do not have a potential for true multi-channel system. No matter. Improving the front 2 channels will not only get you better music for the money, but it is also the first step towards a multi-channel system.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

At your 19 years, I have no doubt that a sub, a test CD, a SRS SPL meter and an EQ (or an EQ with an SPL meter) will both make an incredible difference in your listening experience. Remember it is the vital 100 to 6,000 Hz frequency response that should be as flat as possible for critical music listening. The sub will make movies and music come alive. The EQ will make singers and instruments come alive.

If you do as I did and budget $500 to $1k per year in home movie and music reproduction system improvements, you will have a fantastic system in no time.