Damon's House: Architorture Part 3

damonrpayne

So, we had our first final inspection today.

I was expecting to fail, its not uncommon to fail the first final inspection, and of course dreading it too since it takes my builder far beyond anything that's reasonable to do anything. I found the list of failure items (9 in all) on the kitchen island today. Some were simple "Supply owners manuals for all appliances". Some are potentially rough. He thinks there's not enough insulation in the sills, "inadequate lighting", "Required second exit not present". These changes might involve forcing me to install a deck, or ripping out part of an exterior wall to install a door, or forcing me to do a re-grade of the lot, or who knows. His writing is impossible to read and the ******* wouldn't explain himself to me on the phone saying that "Its not your house yet, I can only deal with the builder" and "Its not your problem, its their problem". Funny, as the person who legally owns the house and land, who's been paying the mortgage for a year now, who's family is crammed into a little apartment while we wait to move in, who will be writing the checks for whatever these changes cost, it seems to be entirely my problem. Combined with my expiditer who seems to regard me moving into this house or getting hit by a truck in roughly equal regard, I hit a low point today. I'm just a middle class white guy without "real" problems by most people's standards but I'm pretty much at my limit with this.

So i guess you aren't posting pics, huh? [:P][:$]

Funny, as the person who ... will be writing

the checks for whatever these changes cost, it seems to be entirely my

problem.

You sure you should be paying for any code infractions and construction

defficiencies? Apart from delaying you move in, it does sound

like the architect and builder's problem to me...

ROb

OK, I got the official word this morning. I have to put a deck on the back before I can move in, the other items are things the builder has to take care of. Its not even that a deck is a bad thing, except that I'm flat broke and want to move in NOW so I need to find someone to throw a deck up pronto.

You can always check the rules legally and just do a smaller one now.. Say 4x 4 make a bigger one this summer....

Then again, if your going to do it.. just do it now. And never is a deck big enough trust me. You get a gas grill, some chairs and a table... etc etc a cooler.. It fills up pretty fast. So go big!!

Damon

I had the same thing on the first house I built. I had them just build a starway out my patio door to the ground below with handrails. Just like a simple basement stairway. It was a real rough and fairly cheap build. If you don't have too far to drop, the wood plate under the door should be enough to hold the weight.

JM

I just talked to the city inspector, he was much much nicer today. He basically said he cannot grant any kind of temporary occupancy or any such thing, he said it HAS to be a "deck" with a 3' x 3' platform and stairs going down, and it has to be potentially permanent, meaning they have to do the whole shebang of pouring 4' footings and such.

He also said because the builder holds the master permit, the DECK PERMIT can only be pulled by them. So I'm stuck dealing with these assholes who claim they "don't do decks"

I cannot win.

Good lord dude......when you first started with this project last year many of us were ribbing you in good nature, yet there was some truth to our "experiences". But man.....I think you've got all of us beat. I just cannot fathom what you're going through. I guess if I took all the headaches from all 4 homes I have had built and put them together, I might come close. But you know what I think is the sad part? Your experience just might be bad enough that you'll never really be able to enjoy your home because it will always be a symbol of a bad time. Case-in-point.....

My wife owned an Acura TLS. Great car. Smooth, fast, nice looks, comfortable. But because of the shafting she took from both the dealer and American H*nda, she had a certain disdain for that car up to the point of getting rid of it. As she handed the keys to the salesman, he said something about missing her car and she said, "Not on your life! Good riddens!!"

I sincerely pray that I am wrong and that things make a major turn-around for you. Maybe you should use this to pitch a show concept to TLC called "Home Building Nightmares". Maybe if the show is a success, builder's around the country might straighten up for fear of being on the show.

Tom

I sincerely pray that I am wrong and that things make a major turn-around for you. Maybe you should use this to pitch a show concept to TLC called "Home Building Nightmares". Maybe if the show is a success, builder's around the country might straighten up for fear of being on the show.

Tom

I now own 6 internet domains related to "Lettting consumers vent about their builder", I honestly feel if more people knew how things typically went, a LOT fewer would build, and builders would be forced to do better or face extinction.

Update:

I got the builder's association and a state agency involved and the builder has come around to my way of thinking, it seems, in that they are trying to bring the house up to code. I don't know how long this is going to take or if they'll be successful.

A lot of things can happen in one week if he needs the $$ too.. LOL

Here is to your successful move in soon. May your "christening" of each room carry you to happiness!!! (Read into that all you want..LOL)

Seriously I think a lot of things can happen in a week I am counting on it cause I want to win the pool!!!!! April 1st weekend.

A lot of things can happen in one week if he needs the $$ too.. LOL

Here is to your successful move in soon. May your "christening" of each room carry you to happiness!!! (Read into that all you want..LOL)

Seriously I think a lot of things can happen in a week I am counting on it cause I want to win the pool!!!!! April 1st weekend.

Indy, we won't have curtains in all the rooms right away, so I'll pass on the free show for the neighbors [:D]

Sorry to hear about your problems. Did you not have some type of completion date written into your contract with the builder?

The first time I saw the builder that built my house I asked him to give me a date that the house would be completed. It was in the contract. I sold the house I lived in based on that date, to avoid moving twice. The new house wasn't ready on required date. Builder paid buyer of previous house pro-rata daily amount of their monthly mortgage payment until new house was completed.

Good luck with your home.

Keith

• Moderators

I was going to suggest contacting the local and state builder's association, as well as any other associations the contractor may hold membership in.

I was also going to recommend that you contact the contractor's licensing board for your state. This is generally the quickest way to get something resolved.

The third option, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. At least your complaint will be documented and the builder will have to satisfy your complaints, or the complaint will remain as "unsatisfactorily resolved".

I hope the builder has accepted responsibility for the deck and the cost of the deck. I would at least consider a 4x4 deck. 3x3 is extremely small and could actually be dangerous, especially if you have small children.

Last but not least, if you have "taken title" to the property, you should be able to "pull a building permit" for a deck yourself. I am not sure about the laws in your particular state. Most laws heavily favor the homeowner. The trim carpenter that worked on your house may be able to the job for you.

I think we've found someone to build the deck in a timely manner, we'll see. At this point any legal wrangling with them is not going to get me into my house sooner, and I'm essentially homeless as of the end of April since our apartment is rented out by then. After we move in, though, I will make it my hobby to expose them.