Have I spoiled myself since 1980?

Coytee

I've read time & time again how (paraphrasing) once you get your (insert speaker of choice) set up properly, mate it with (insert preamp & amp of choice) then you should have a killer sounding system blah blah blah...

I've put 2A3's, OTL's, MC-30's, MC-2102 and a couple solid state amps to my Khorns, yet... barring minute differences that perhaps my bad room or bad ears can't tell, they STILL sound glorious (within the limitations of each amps paramaters). I keep waiting to hear this explosion of quality sound...

Then it dawned on me... since LaScalas were essentially my FIRST purchase into 'high end' stuff back in 1980 or so, their sound is really all I've ever known. Since I've never had (insert brand of lessor opinion), perhaps I'm quibbling with myself over degrees of expectations, instead of drastic differences that perhaps some others might experience?

I guess I'm wondering aloud if I unknowingly spoiled myself decades ago by selecting the LaScalas.

I AM looking forward to the "big test". Once I get my basement finished, I'll update the xovers on the LaScalas and since those are the oldest parts, I'll be looking to see if I FINALLY hear some of the eye opening differences that some speak of.

If so, it'll be very nice having my old pals back (original sound)

[:D]

I think you have a good handle on it. A lot of the problem is terminology. What to one person is a jaw-dropping, eargasmic improvement, is to another person merely a subtle, barely discernible difference. This is even assuming they are hearing exactly the same improvement, just describing it differently: "A huge difference" compared to "No big deal."

In my Khorn experience of just short of two decades, the Khorn sound has trumped crossover changes, amp changes, preamp changes, source changes, and room changes. Those are all very important factors, but through them all the biggest signature is the Klipschorn itself.

I have to agree with you guys on this. Having owned the same

Khorns for 25 years, and having made some gear changes, I have

not yet heard what could be described as anything jaw dropping

etc. (new networks on the way, we'll see)

I did experiance that "fatiguing sound' and for many years did not use

my system much because of it. Adding a JM Merlin did not make a

huge difference to my ears and yet I find myself listening to music

much more today than I did before adding the tube pre. The change

was subtle but changed my listening habits a lot. That's a good

thing.

What still blows me away is the huge difference in the quality of

recordings. It seems like the very good ones are getting harder

to find. Why can't they all sound as good as a Jack Johnson

CD? Now there is some jaw dropping recording work IMHO.

Garth

coytee,

I think that maybe you have been spoiled! You've certainly had some very high resolution gear with your amps and of course the LS's. That's probably one of the reasons you don't hear mind blowing improvements. (what you say?)

While Klipsch has their own sonic signature, they resolve what's fed them with brutal honesty. In my experience, this has meant that with each improvement, additional system shortcomings are revealed. The higher the system resolution, the more you hear, both good and bad! This leaves the quest always wanting something more.

Man, but what a great quest it's been!

P.S. If you ever think your system isn't quite there, go listen to a non Klipsch based system. That's a mind blowing reality check! You'll come away knowing that your system does provide that "explosion of quality sound".

Hope your new room will knock your socks off!!

The quest continues.....