Good vintage amps?

chrismv

Just grabbed some RF-35s on closeout. I've heard HK, Onkyo, Marantz, and Denon all have quality going way back. Since I have only 2 speakers, shouldn't a stereo receiver that can push about 80 watts/channel be sufficient? Any recommendations on vintage stuff? I see all kinds of things on auction on the web. Other sites with classifieds?

And, on second thought, I'm not set on vintage, so anything newer is fine. Is it possible to find a quality unit for less than $100?

TIA,

Chris

After reading the subject line I first thought of Scott or Fisher. Those are vintage tube amps/receivers/integrateds and Craig www.nosvalves.com works on them which is a big bonus.

............for your budget keep an eye on www.audiogon.com maybe something will pop up to suit your needs. Also, every now and then someone here will be cleaning their closet and you might get lucky. Man, I feel old you talking about 80's being vintage.

Welcome to the Forum.

For only $100, most definately not anything new that is decent. It's even stretching it for vintage. I love my pioneer sx-980. A nice one and fully functional should be around $150 to $200. It is plenty of power for my sf-1's and it has much more room for prolly 35's. One thing about vintage is some things can go wrong with them, but it can happen to new. The only thing i'm experiencing now is a weak left channel with the phono 1 input. Pioneer is my only vintage experience, so that's all i can suggest from personal listening.

Just grabbed some RF-35s on closeout. I've heard HK, Onkyo, Marantz, and Denon all have quality going way back. Since I have only 2 speakers, shouldn't a stereo receiver that can push about 80 watts/channel be sufficient? Any recommendations on vintage stuff? I see all kinds of things on auction on the web. Other sites with classifieds? And, on second thought, I'm not set on vintage, so anything newer is fine. Is it possible to find a quality unit for less than $100? TIA, Chris

I have a Sony strD1011 silver receiver 120 wattsx 2 for $100. you pay shipping or pick-up

Just grabbed some RF-35s on closeout. I've heard HK, Onkyo, Marantz, and Denon all have quality going way back. Since I have only 2 speakers, shouldn't a stereo receiver that can push about 80 watts/channel be sufficient? Any recommendations on vintage stuff? I see all kinds of things on auction on the web. Other sites with classifieds? And, on second thought, I'm not set on vintage, so anything newer is fine. Is it possible to find a quality unit for less than $100? TIA, Chris

Chris, Congratulations on the RF35s.

You have mentioned some good components from the 70s - 80s that would be in your price range. I would also include (from that vintage): Luxman, NAD & Rotel. At that price range, these would be available via e-Bay.

Good luck,

-Tom

On your budget, I would suggest you keep you eye open for a nice HK 430 or 730. Also with HE horn speakers, I have found the Kenwood KR6600 sounds very nice also, has a nice phono section too. Vintage Marantz and Sansui sounded too harsh to me with horns.

If you don't listen extremely loud, you might want to checkout a Sonic T amp. I have never heard one, but for $30 they seem to be an excellent bang for your buck.

I used a Kenwood KR9600 (160 wpc) for about 25 years before I discovered tubes. You can probably find a decent one for about $200. It mates very well with Klipsch. For under $100, I'd try an H/K 430 or 630 as suggested above. They go for under $100 quite often on ebay and lots of Klipsch owners seem to like them.