Respect

3dzapper

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point of this thread was to highlight the merits of services performed by experienced professionals vs hobbyists. Does anyone choose to have their dental, medical, financial, and legal services performed by just anyone with an interest in that field? Do you listen to music performed by people who don't know how to play? (Opps, bad example because actually, most modern popular music is just that, but don't get me started...) The point is, same for audio; the expectation of quality is relative to professional artistry.

I'm not saying hobbyist can't have fun and learn - everyone starts somewhere.

Perhaps I misread the thread(s) but she was asking questions in general, not answers from you in particular?

Once again your talking out your a$$. I think I have logged about 4 hours or so privately on the phone with Lisa!!

Craig

Once again your talking out your a$$. I think I have logged about 4 hours or so privately on the phone with Lisa!!

Craig

Ahh, I understand now. She speaks to you at length and then posts the question here to see how you will spell the answers? Seems to me she could do that via email. [:)]

BTW do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

"I'm not saying hobbyist can't have fun and learn - everyone starts somewhere."

You're right. Everyone does start as a beginner who makes mistakes and learns from them. Everyone. This was never in dispute, and was in fact the very premise of my argument.

Much of what we're discussing has Darwinian undercurrents. This is not to say I adhere to or agree with everything Darwin proposed (I don't), but one of his theories held that the struggle for existence is most severe among species competing for the same resources.

See? :)

Erik

edit: Yet I took it further to include the FACT that even professionals make mistakes -- and (hopefully) continue to learn. Human error.

"I'm not saying hobbyist can't have fun and learn - everyone starts somewhere."

You're right. Everyone does start as a beginner who makes mistakes and learns from them. Everyone. This was never in dispute, and was in fact the very premise of my argument.

Much of what we're discussing has Darwinian undercurrents. This is not to say I adhere to or agree with everything Darwin proposed (I don't), but one of his theories held that the struggle for existence is most severe among species competing for the same resources.

See? :)

Erik

Darwinian undercurrents....

....hmmmm

I know that mishandling the high voltage inside an amplifier could make one person uhmmm..... "a self correcting error" in evolutionary terms. :-)

Dee:

Some people will solder inside a live, energized chassis. Regardless of how familiar and electronics tech is with what does what in an amp, the fact remains that an accident can happen.

Soldering in an amplifier is not a very smart thing to do.

BTW: I have all of Darwin's books, but I do not believe everything I read -- even if it happens to show up on this forum! :)

Erik

"edit: Yet I took it further to include the FACT that even professionals make mistakes -- and (hopefully) continue to learn. Human error."

Is that why neurosurgeons buy malpractice insurance? Or those who work on others property should?

[soapbox]

Every doctor needs malpractice insurance and it is especially necessary and costly because too many lawyers are willing to file frivolous lawsuits. We need a "loser pays" system put in place to help curb the cost of medical care in America!

[/soapbox]

...but one of his theories held that the struggle for existence is most severe among species competing for the same resources.

Are you implying that there's a shortage of those yellow thingamajiggers you find inside amps??

edit: Yet I took it further to include the FACT that even professionals make mistakes -- and (hopefully) continue to learn. Human error.

Yea but a professional uses test equipment to confirm his results and if a mistake does crop up he hopefully finds it right then and there. A DIYer just runs the amp, preamp or tuner and uses his ears (which are usually blinded by the accomplishment that the device actually passes a signal) if they don't care or grow tired of the sound they just sell it off to the next unsuspecting poor sap.

Craig

"Yea but a professional uses test equipment to confirm his results and if a mistake does crop up he hopefully finds it right then and there. A DIYer just runs the amp, preamp or tuner and uses his ears (which are usually blinded by the accomplishment that the device actually passes a signal) if they don't care or grow tired of the sound they just sell it off to the next unsuspecting poor sap."

Wow, impressive. However, I know LOTS of DIYers who also have scopes, as well as other equipment. The use of one does not automatically mean the owner of it is a professional.

...and it's likely that some might need to rely on such equipment more that others, Craig. In addition to ears and eyes used for troubleshooting, you neglect to mention one other very important piece of equipment.

The BRAIN.

BTW: I have worked on and repaired things for people who both owned and knew how to use scopes, signal generators, and so forth. Sometimes perception and the ability to concentrate and think clearly can be more effective than having to rely on a piece of machinery to do the work for you.

Sheesh, it's late!

Erik

"Yea but a professional uses test equipment to confirm his results and if a mistake does crop up he hopefully finds it right then and there. A DIYer just runs the amp, preamp or tuner and uses his ears (which are usually blinded by the accomplishment that the device actually passes a signal) if they don't care or grow tired of the sound they just sell it off to the next unsuspecting poor sap."

Wow, impressive. However, I know LOTS of DIYers who also have scopes, as well as other equipment. The use of one does not automatically mean the owner of it is a professional.

...and it's likely that some might need to rely on such equipment more that others, Craig. In addition to ears and eyes used for troubleshooting, you neglect to mention one other very important piece of equipment.

The BRAIN.

BTW: I have worked on and repaired things for people who both owned and knew how to use scopes, signal generators, and so forth. Sometimes perception and the ability to concentrate and think clearly can be more effective than having to rely on a piece of machinery to do the work for you.

Sheesh, it's late!

Erik

Erik,

Who ever said owning test equiptment makes a professional? Never said it. I can tell you one thing though. Not owning it surely means your not a professional. There was a time I owned the gear and didn't have any substancial idea how to use it. But I kept at it until I could use it with my eyes closed.

Quit mis-quoting me its extremely rude and petty!!

Craig

PS I remember something you had for 6 months and couldn't fix it! Why was that... you did not have the proper tools.

"PS I remember something you had for 6 months and couldn't fix it! Why was that... you did not have the proper tools."

PS: And took a day or two to sort out the wiring rat's nest of it's multiple topologies. Craig: I have told you this many times: I didn't want to take any more time with that thing. As it was, I did all of that other rewiring for free, when I had an hour or to to spare here and there. They all worked exactly right when I was done with them. It can take time to track down buzz, and I had other things I wanted to do. Think what you will, it doesn't change the truth.

Moreover, I inluded a few extra 12SN7s, and the bottom plate from a brand new chassis I was saving for something else, which fit it -- FREE. I hope they came in handy enough for you to at least sell it without that truly lousy, cracked acrylic base that came with it. I was using the 12SN7s with a 12 volt supply in a preamp, which I decided to change. I wasn't using them anymore, so I gave them to you.

Go put your scope on it and fix it. You contradict yourself constantly.

Erik you so full of it. You act like you were doing me a favor when in reality your the one that wanted to check it out. I contacted you when the forum was talking about Mapletree products and YOU voiced that this tri topology preamp was something YOU wanted to check out. I offered to let you play with the one I had since it was collecting dust. YOU keep trying to turn it into that YOU were doing me a favor. It took me no less then 6 months to finally get it back and the thing was worse then when I sent it. I fixed it in a few short hours. I think the tubes you sent were a gesture because you were embarrassed.

Craig