Favorite metal song

billyjoe72

"Smoke on the Water, Lazy, Highway Star- all classic Metal songs- while not as heavy as some of todays dirgelike tunes, these are truly rock anthems. "

While not what I think of as heavy metal, their 'Made in Japan' live album of those songs is quite good at full throttle.

Not sure Jimi Hendrix meets the current metal standard, but 'Fire' with the volume control on 11 really calms me down (maybe I should say wears me out).

When I want to get wound up, I listen to 'March to the Scaffold' (Berlioz). That thrashes any metal. Reiner and CSO has the best 'feel'.

Berlioz wrote this after he had a dream that he was being executed. You can feel the last thought of the executed man during the clainet solo, then the guillotine blade drops, and then you hear the severed head rolling, and the crowd then cheering.

'Witches' Sabbath' has church bells, and the Dies Irae chant, and then sounds like a giant orgy. Kubrick used this in both 'The Shinning' and 'Clockwork Orange', arranged by Walter/Wendy Carlos for synthesizer.

Dixie Dregs seems to combine metal with classical, an interesting mix.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry guys,

Bobby T's listing is pretty much a 'must listen' compilation- dude burn me a CD of that, willya?

War Pigs has to be about the most fun to stomp around doing my Jack Black impersonation to!

Michael

Give me a week to encode them in lossless and burn, then consider it done. I need a week cause the world seems reaally busy form the next few days.

Joan Jett does not qualify- at least not that song (we've got to work on your music appreciation Who)...

Bah, it's as light as the other stuff being mentioned [:P] The Bang Your Head reference just reminded me of the song, cuz when I was working in Michigan we got to listen to tunes all day...but it sucked because it was like 80% Dave Mathews Band (which I can't stand at all)...the only two relatively normal songs were those two. I brought my Nightwish in but it was deemed "too heavy" bah....

How bout some of Emperor's offerings...

http://www.emperorhorde.com/ [6]

[;)]

Stranglehold gets a 2nd vote here.

I remember listening to this song with my new Hereseys in a college house (~1981). The volume was so loud, the hereseys slowly scooted off the mantel and took a 4 foot drop to the ground. I still remember the sickening feeling of wondering if I had ruined my most prized possession. It didn't seem to affect them one bit.

Oh Boy... where to begin LOL. Let me say that most of my collection (around 1000) is mostly metal/rock based, so coming up with just a couple isn't quite possible. So I decided I would just go through and note a few favorites along with maybe a few forgotten bands.

I guess of course you have to go with all the popular suggestions : Judas Priest, Megadeth, Metallica, Motley Crue.... their catalogs are so big, there can be many choices.

Here's my list:

Accept - Balls to the Wall, Metal Heart

Anthrax - I'm the Man

Dokken - Breaking the Chains

Electric Boys - All Lips n Hips

Faster Pussycat - Bathroom Wall

Hardline - Takin me Down

Kick Axe - Heavy Metal Shuffle

Kix - Blow My Fuse

Helloween - I'm Alive

LA Guns - No Mercy

Manowar - Number 1, Fighting the World, Warriors of the World united

Malice - License to Kill

Prong - Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck

Queensryche - Walk in the Shadows

Pantera - I'm Broken, Primal Concrete Sledge

Skid Row - Slave to the grind

Shotgun Messiah - Bop City

Static-X - Push it, Bled for Days

Sevendust - Black

Type -O-Negative - Black #1

Vinnie Vincent Invasion - Ashes to Ashes, Dirty Rythm

Warlock - All We Are

Wasp - Widowmaker, Running Wild in the Streets

Rob Zombie - Never Gonna Stop, Electric Head Pt 2

Stranglehold gets a 2nd vote here.

I remember listening to this song with my new Hereseys in

a college house (~1981). The volume was so loud, the hereseys slowly

scooted off the mantel and took a 4 foot drop to the ground. I

still remember the sickening feeling of wondering if I had ruined my

most prized possession. It didn't seem to affect them one bit.

Yep,one of my all time favorites,that was a great song to trip on,also DIO, Rainbow in the Dark.

Yea

Pantara - primal concrete sledge is a very angry song. [:@] Good pit music.

Prong - snap your fingers snap your neck.

A few more....

Dokken - I like Mr. Scary. It's an instrumental

Judas Priest - blood red skies

Megadeth - the conjuring...black friday ....into the lungs of hell, set the world on fire

I dunno if you guys consider it "Metal" or not. I was 15 in 1968 when the album came out. About three weeks ago I bought the CD (after the recent Fidelity Investments commercial caused the song to get stuck in my head . . . ).

The other songs by the group really suck, IMHO. But not this one.

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

(full version, of course)

funny you mention Iron Butterfly... I was born in 1970, but in the mid 80's my Mom wanted to buy me a record for my birthday, so she asked some dude at the record shop for some suggestions, sure enough she came home with this record. It wasn't something I was really expecting, but I wouldn't say it was all that bad... I do rememebr that song taking up one whole side of the record though :)

I dunno if you guys consider it "Metal" or not. I was 15 in 1968 when the album came out. About three weeks ago I bought the CD (after the recent Fidelity Investments commercial caused the song to get stuck in my head . . . ).

The other songs by the group really suck, IMHO. But not this one.

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

(full version, of course)

The real title is; In A Garden of Eden; Please let this song stay in it's grave, DEAD!!!

The real title is; In A Garden of Eden; Please let this song stay in it's grave, DEAD!!!

Ok Oldtimer, whatever you say. From now on, I'll only listen to what you want me to listen to . . .

The title In A Garden of Eden; is correct, research it, you'll see. The second part was just my opinion, after hundreds of listenings, I'll pass on that song as a metal song,Sorry.

Oldtimer, I'd second you on Zep, they're kinda the bedrock of heavy metal, along with Blue Cheer "Sumertime Blues". I always think of Blue Cheer as proto-metal...yikes that bank of Marshall's all wide open making mince-meat of a 50's song...

In addition to Sabbath, how about "Hocus Pocus" by Focus with all of its' satirical riffs on heavy metal? [H] Then there's all of that early Cream stuff and Jimi Hendrix's use of all those power chords and pre-Wall Pink Floyd (particularily "Meddle", which I think was a play on Metal) and Iron Butterfly "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" with the relentless, screeching guitar (which I just had to dig out and play so I could dance around the house and type my reply [;)]) and Deep Purple's "Sweet Child in Time" and of course Stepenwolf who's "Born to be Wild" is where the term heavy metal comes from [:o] and "The Pusher".

I think I'm an "oldtimer" too and I'll be curious to see how many other old timers show up on this thread...

So I just finished the thread and I wasn't too surprised that I didn't recognize alot of the groups/songs. I was surprised that none of the other "older dudes" mentioned Steppenwolf, especially with John Kay's leather pants in the middle of the Summer of Love, although I may have missed it. Jeff Beck was also missing in action I noticed, although he wasn't/isn't my favorite.

Bye the by, does anyone care to define "heavy metal"? I always thought it was chord structures stripped down to the bare metal and all of those "power" fifths played with lots of crunchies, not to be confused with the "power balled"...it appears that I'm into "dinosaur metal", eh? [8]

Okay, on the Klipsch Forum, with a few people picking songs off of Pantera's Cowboys from Hell, I can't believe we've missed the obvious (and my favorite song off the album) Heresy!

I couldn't even attempt to pick one (or even ten) best metal songs.

Speaking of Inna Gadda Davida, remember that Simpsons episode where Bart switches the church music, and gets the whole congregation to sing In The Garden of Eden, baby don't you know that I love you... I think it's the same episode where he sells his soul to Milton and can't get in the automatic door at the store because he doesn't have a soul.

Someone just asked, What is a metal band, or what is the metal sound, I don't know if I can answer that, but, I know what it ISN'T, it isn't Power Ballads, that's for sure. Don't get me wrong, I liked some of the HairBands, but those guys made power ballads. Have you ever been to an AC/DC show, Judas Priest, ever remember hearing a power ballad at one of those, Hell no. Led Zep to me was Heavy Metal, one minute pounding you with sounds and rhythms you have never heard before, while swirling around the room in a sonic assualt on your mind, full metal attack, then the next minute, lay you back with some beautiful acoustic guitar lick, a soft passage. They are the band that defines;Heavy Metal, they RULED the 70's, Robert Plant, the lead singer everyone wished they were, what a voice, what range, the FrontMan; Mr. Page, another old yardbird, enough said; the Rhythm section; John Paul Jones, multi talented, sorta invisible bassist, keyboard player, always there in the background, and last but not least, Bonzo, a very complex style drummer, perfect for these guys, some will say, the best drummer ever, I won't argue that point. That's my take on a Heavy Metal Band, as far as the sound of Heavy Metal, Gee, I'm not sure, how about, GIBSON Guitars through a WALL of MARSHALL AMPS turned up to 11!!!!!