Theater Seating - HELP!

boomac

The price of theater seating is outrageous. Even with a reasonable discount the price is high. Today I was offered a 3 seat set-up by a name brand company. It was an overstocked item and he offered it to me at about a 40% discount. It was still over 3K.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Now! I saw what appears to be a beautiful leather recliner, with hidden cup holders, at JP Penny and it was on sale for $499. Very nice and very comfortable.

Please enlighten me if Im off base here but why spend thousands for THEATER SEATING when you could get three Pennys specials for $1500.

Boomac -

Just be sure that you know what you are buying when it comes to leather seating. Some leather seating is 100% leather (usually at the higher end of the price scale), while some less pricey leather seating is leather "everywhere the body touches", and vinyl elsewhere.

I'm sure the the cheaper seating can be very good, but I think it's good to be an informed shopper when you're comparing.

The seating we bought (about 2 years ago) is 100% leather from Lazyboy. We bought 2 reclining loveseats and a recliner chair (none have cup holders), and paid a little over $3K for the 3 pieces.

Hope this helps . . .

Dave

If you're looking, contact Roman ("rsh" in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=660081) - he's a Berkline distributor from whom I bought 7 chairs with motorized recliners for a very nice price.

The other brand in that thread (Coaster) is popular with budget-conscious folks, as well. However, they don't offer some of the goodies the Berklines have.

I have a 4set of the Coasters. I got them locally new in box for half price from a guy who thought he could fit in two rows, but didn't have space. I think these were $1500 new, I paid $750, so I'm not complaining for the price.

They are pretty nice fit and finish, except for one thing. The two position recline quickly gets boring, first you are locked into one straight seating position, then can only recline at two different angles.

I have sat in the luxury Berkliners, and they are much softer, the cup holders deeper, and had the swing around 'party trays' as well as storage in the arms for remotes, magazines, stash, whatever. The considerable variability of the angles makes them much much more comfortable, to say nothing of the 'cuddle feature' where there is no are between the 2nd and 3rd seat. If I had the $3K or whatever I'd definitely go this route.

I think Picky in Detroit has a different brand as well, in very nice micro-suede. He'll probably stop in here.

M

I understand Boomac's initial question. Why pay a premium for seating that has a single use and configuration when you can just as easily get stand-alone pieces that you can arrange at will?

Good points, perhaps its that the theatre seating, by using common arms, allow tighter seating and can put 4 ppl in the space of 3 normal chairs without looking cramped. In HT useage, there is definitely a premium for the 'sweet spot' and normal furniture layouts will generally allow just a few people the good positions while others have less than astounding presentation.

I would think it depends on the size of your viewing room, the layout options, and the average or standard number of viewers of the HT.

I know of guys on the 2ch forum that have a SINGLE chair in their listening rooms.

Michael

Yeah, the price of seating can add up really quickly.

I didn't really have enough room to fit those bigger seats into my

theater so I went the other way. Awhile back Circuit City had a deal

that if you bought a big screen TV they included a leather recliner

with ottoman. Almost none of the stores actually gave the seats away

with the TVs so they ended up selling them for I think it was $39 each.

I bought ten of them for less then the price of a Berkliner.

They aren't as nice as the Berkliners but they were much much cheaper

and are still pretty comfortable. I ended up bolting the rear row of

seats together to make it look more unified. The front row stays

together anyway as they are pushed up against the riser.

You can kind of see them in this shot. The room has gotten much more

difficult to photograph now that the walls are all covered in velvet

drapes... they really suck up the light.

That is not to say I haven't considered three 088s up front (they would

fit) but I just can't see spending $2k (with shipping and power

recliners) on seats when what I have fits, is comfortable and works

fine.

Shawn

post-12845-13819286630852_thumb.jpg

post-12845-1381929090683_thumb.jpg

post-12845-1381929486892_thumb.jpg

I looked at a ton of seats before I dropped my hard earned $$$. To me it really seemed like you got what you paid for. I went with this Premiere http://www.premierehts.com/

The store just started carrying them so they wanted to get some sold. I believe I got a pretty hefty discount over MSRP, but furniture in general is crazy expensive.

I when with two levels of upgraded leather (I think they had 3). Four seats on the smaller side set me back over $6K. Ouch! Probably my biggest indulgence.

They are baby skin soft and a lot nicer then so may of the overstuffed-plastic-looking things I saw touting them selves as high-end HT seats. The worst was that after plunking down 1/2 the cost it took almost 10 weeks to get them. They said 6-8 weeks. My advice order your chairs early in the building process or you will have your HT done and be sitting on milk crates.

BTW, they are made in the USA if that is of interest to anyone. Nice to see that everything has not gone overseas.

The problem with furniture -(and matresses too) is that it is very easy to make identical products look different and avoid direct price shopping. HT furniture is still a premium product and you wont find deep discount at big box furniture stores for a while. Can't wait for China to get in the market. Have you seen what they did to the office chair market?

I also recently purchased a real wood veneer bedroom set for my 8 year old daughter. Made somwhere in asia. I paid less than what I paid for cheap paper veneered locally made kids furniture a few years ago.

I think I have the room with the big Berklines Colterphoto1 described. For various reasons, the center two seats do not have the armrest (yes cuddle feature) and the two on the sides do have arm rests on BOTH sides. These are big chairs and have cup holders that are also large so anything will fit in them as well. There are 4 trays(That can be stowed) to set food or whatever else you want as well. 4 concealed deep pockets in the armrests too.

In my situation the two side chairs are angled in, and the love seat center is dead on. I figured a man his wife, 2 kids... 90% of the time.... were done seating configuration wise. Or two couples... any more kids.. pillow chairs on the floor.. It seems to work great so far! Why build 9- 12 seats if your family is 4 people??? Say you have 2-3 buddies over too.. 4 guys, lots of room.

Also like I did spend the money for the electrical ones. You will love the ability to change positions when and how YOU want too instead of a forced 2 positions and getting OUT of the chair is also a lot easier.

Be aware Berkline also re sells these through the larger dealers... I got mine from Watson's here in Indianapolis Indiana... They were just called something else.. But from Berkline (Berkline boxes and warranty ) A great store. They had like 20 or so models to choose from. This is perhaps not a area to go cheap if you value your comfort while watching or listening to your system.

Good luck sit in a lot of chairs if you can. Real theater seats get very uncomfortable after say an hour and a half. I considered going this route till I asked people in here too. It is then your decision.

Remember to stay with two things.. Appearance and Comfort.

My tennis team had a quad today and I was on my feet from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />7:30AM until 5:00PM. The old coach is desperate for a comfortable seat. The only problem is that Id last about 10 minutes before I would fall asleep.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Again, thanks guy! I really appreciate the comments and information.

Yea Scott, ask Indy, I fall asleep at his place all the time. Even with those LS blaring at me! His are the units I was speaking of- absolutely top quality- and the party trays are awesome! Just NEVER eat popcorn in the reclining position- I go into a coughing and gagging fit every time!

Michael

Another thing I forgot to state about furniture- It is all Marked up

150% - so any "Deals" are off that extinsive markup........

just for your info..........

Oh man...don't I WISH that were true! Actually the home theater furniture is a cut throat business with *very* low margins for the most part. I sell the Palliser theater seats...which are VERY nice but the amount of profit available is piddly and with the Chinese seats and all the online discounters, it keeps shrinking. Never the less...do check out the Palliser seats. A set of three in leather match runs about $1700...and that is for a good quality leather and a top quality seat built by a very good company. They are one of the best looking, most comfortable seats out there and they drop ship directly from the factory...in Canada, right to you. Check out my website for some images.

I belive that the theater seating is just a fad.

=========================================

A Fad????

And this stereo thing will never take off... Mono is the way to go..

Quad sound... People will never buy more that two speakers...

Home Theater... Why would anyone watch a movie at home?

OK, while I will admit a great recliner is wonderful, They are usually 1-2 set positions and not electric.. They do not come with treys... (I know you can get a TV trey too...LOL) Hardley ever have cup holders... Storage areas... and 4 of them side by side in a normal room? Hard to fit..

That said... Now just 2 wide....??? Comfy for sure...Throw a warm blanket on me zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz in a comfy lane recliner.. Hahahahahahaha.