Return to Klipsch

Fortissimo

This is my first post.

Well, it's been a long while. My first Klipsch were a 1988 set of Forte's. I had them for some time, but had to move into a small place and (still kicking myself) ended up selling them.

I listened to the new reference series klipsch and while the do a lot of things I like, I feel they were missing something that the heritage line had. Namely, a separate horn midrange.

The tractrics are terrific, and I do like that they can cover the mid to 20khz band, but for various reasons, I prefer a separate driver for mid and tweet.

I found a set of *mint* 1996 Forte II's for $500 and snagged them immediately.

Man... what I have been missing! The realism and uncompressed dynamics are just amazing. I have a 15" DIY powered sub crossed over at 30hz as well. The sub really isnt necessary for most material. On some movies and classical material the sub does wake up and fill in the bottom end.

I have ordered some synergy bookshelves and center channel to go along. The reason is, they wen't quite as "hard" sounding as the titanium reference in places. Not to mention cost per dollar is excellent.

My ultimate goal is to buy a house this year, and maybe get some cornerhorns for my main system. Otherwise, a set of la scalas with the sub will do. I want a set of original KG4's for the bedroom.

The bottom line here is, is that I like the Forte II better than my original forte, and definately more than the new lines of Klipsch. They are clean, dynamic, full range, and very controlled sounding. I mean that in a good way. No flab to the bass at all. I am really happy with these speakers.

Maybe this sounds crude, but I enjoy these more than most audiophile boutique speakers. I feel no temptation to go anywhere except Klipsch.

Well I see you've already met Horshack.

Welcome aboard! There's a wealth of information here to help you

get the best out of those babies and lighten your wallet at the same

time. Also just a good place to hang out with various experts,

cool folks and fellow afficiandoes of all things Klipsch.

So what are you going to use to run them with?

post-14801-13819286761962_thumb.jpg

post-14801-13819291032392_thumb.jpg

post-14801-1381929499217_thumb.jpg

Great post and good to have you back. I also own a pair of fortes and have had a pair of forte IIs. I actually prefer my fortes but the difference is very slight. Excellent speakers especially after you get the place correctly. I find them to be alot more sensitive to placement over other heritage speakers.

Right now, it's a 7.1 THX receiver. I also have a "experimental" ss amp with a passive control.

I have heavily modified the amp, and a cd player that was based on a rotel chassis. It was reclocked, new dacs, recapped with black gate caps and bypass caps, shielded and so on.

I am avoiding any and all references to the word "Audiophile" because I do not like the stigma or connotations. I prefer "audio/HT enthusiast" or "music lover." I am very "Catholic" about audio. There is so much of it I like, and I refuse to look down my nose at anyones setup.

After I get settled (September) I'd like a pushpull 300b/ . Possibly a kit type. I know that sounds evil to the set crowd, but I don't feel that I am losing anything that bad. I prefer to have something in the 24-50 watt range vs just 4-9 watts. I just like that extra oomph. I am also considering a Dynaco St-70 or the like.

But I am getting ahead of myself. My "Klipsch" experiance will expand three ways:

Bedroom Kg4

Two channel: Probably klipschorns, or else la scalas.

Multi channel: Forte II + synergy.

Time, and my real estate agent will tell.