La scala owners...question

Fortissimo

La scala speakers are *much* less money and more abundant than klipschorns. They are also more practical for more livingrooms.

If I use la scalas, I will add a 15" sub (or two) for my 2 channel system.

Question:

Given that the la scala seems to have everything a klipschorn does, down to about 20hz above the response, could a la-scala and a sub= the output of a klipschorn?

I found a set of 1998 la scalas on e-bay for a starting bid of $700. They have been upgraded to phenolic diaphragm drivers. And I find that $700-$1500 is much cheaper than $3500- $6700 of klipschorns.

I haven't heard them side by side, but I own LaScalas with a pair of Klipsch Ultra subs. I have heard K-horns several times. IMO, my LaScala/sub setup at least equals what I've heard out of K-horns. I might even be a little bold and say I think they outperform a pair of K-horns. Again, no meters, no fancy equipment, just my ears. I think there are a few here who have K-horns AND LaScalas/sub who could give a side by side review. I'm in Milwaukee, WI. You're welcome to check out my system if you're in the area.

Jeff

Being a Scala owner for 20+ years I feel a sub or 2 is needed with it,and yes you can get the output of the Khorn with added benifits ie.the potential for better imaging due to placement(Khorn are locked to the corners).Not to say the Khorns cant sounstage it just requires the right room and good corners for full rated bass reproduction.

Greg

The old Blister was out doin' her Avon party thingie last night so I popped a couple brewskis and settled in with Cream's 2005 live concert at the Royal Albert Hall. My sub was set for "slight filler... 60hz and volume at 1/3"., and my new LaScalas were cranked to the almost concert level. Holly crap, you can't tell me the music experience gets much better than that.

BTW, this music dvd is something else if you like Cream. They're far better now than when they were kids.

I will be moving to the Spokane area in September. Hopefully, Washington can provide me with either k-horns or la scalas...

Old timers might remember Seattle had some Stereolab (or something like that) K-horn clones.

A friend of mine from the Renton area said they were actually better than the 1970's klipschorns.

I will be moving to the Spokane area in September. Hopefully, Washington can provide me with either k-horns or la scalas...

Old timers might remember Seattle had some Stereolab (or something like that) K-horn clones.

A friend of mine from the Renton area said they were actually better than the 1970's klipschorns.

You might be thinking of speakerlab?

Greg

B.S. to the Speakerlab horns. My buddy had a set and they weren't as good, I guarantee you. Bry's in Marysville, WA is a HERITAGE STOCKING Klipsch dealer. They have the full line of Heritage and the top end Reference. Google 'em for directions and a phone number.

Fortissimo,

I have K-Horns, LaScalas, Cornwalls, and CornScalas all in the same 24' x 18' x 8' room.

While the K-Horn and LaScala drivers are all the same, the sound of the K's is, imho, significantly better than the LaScala's. The K-Horn bass is huge, fast, and deep compared to the LS. The soundstage of the K seems larger because the squawker and tweeter are 16" higher than the LS.

The addition of subs to LS will certainly help the deep bass, but it won't be as fast as the K and comes at some additional expense.

Another option I've come to love, thanks to Bob Crites and JW Cullison, is the CornScala. Buy Cornwalls. Buy K-401 squawker horns from Bob. Have Bob modify the Cornwall crossovers to CornScala crossovers. Build tops for Cornwalls the look like K-Horn top hat and install squawker and tweeter in the new top. (Also buy Bob's tweeter. It sounds great!)

This will give you a speaker that sounds closer to K's and may be less expensive than LS and subs. The height of the squawker/ tweeter will be within inches of the height of the K, and the Cornwall bass will be second only to the K (not counting subs).

Fortissimo,

IAnother option I've come to love, thanks to Bob Crites and JW Cullison, is the CornScala. Buy Cornwalls. Buy K-401 squawker horns from Bob. Have Bob modify the Cornwall crossovers to CornScala crossovers. Build tops for Cornwalls the look like K-Horn top hat and install squawker and tweeter in the new top. (Also buy Bob's tweeter. It sounds great!)

This will give you a speaker that sounds closer to K's and may be less expensive than LS and subs. The height of the squawker/ tweeter will be within inches of the height of the K, and the Cornwall bass will be second only to the K (not counting subs).

The only thing confusing about that, is that the la scala uses folded horn bass like the k-horn. But a modded cornwall (normal cone bass) will work better than a la scala and a sub??? I am trying to wrap my head around that concept.

The only thing confusing about that, is that the la scala uses folded horn bass like the k-horn. But a modded cornwall (normal cone bass) will work better than a la scala and a sub??? I am trying to wrap my head around that concept.

Not necessarily. The LaScala bass is fast, but not as deep as either the K or the Corn. I was just offering another option for your consideration. In my room and with my tunes, I prefer the CornScala (with elevated squawker and tweeter and deeper bass) to the LS for about the same price.

Please don't think there's anything bad about the LS. They are great speakers!! I used to do sound reinforcement for bands using as many as 12 LaScalas, 6 on each side.

Adding subs to to either is another discussion, depending on budget and requirements.

I have had my 5 channel La Scala setup for 13 years now. At the time I considered getting 4 KHorns and a Belle or Scala for the center, but I instead went with the Scalas for ease of placement. I have been happy ever since. I use them with an RSW-15 and feel they are definately worth the price difference between them and the KHorns. Keep in mind the KHorns ARE Klipsch, but you won't be disappointed with their slightly younger brother.

Fortissimo:

Your primary question has been covered many times in this forum, and some of the threads on the topic often sound like the tubes v. solid state or push-pull v. SET debates with both sides confident of their position. Since the search engine is working, you may want to do a couple of healthy searches in two-channel. After all, just some months ago, we had LaScalas and Belles criticized and defended in comparison to K-horns and Cornwalls (with and without subs) - and I expect the debate to continue for many years to come. Some think LaScalas have no bass, some think a sub cannot augment LaScalas to sound great, some prefer LaScalas' bass to that of the Cornwalls, some greatly appreciate the Cornwalls' bass over the LaScalas, and some believe that the K-horns are in an entirely different league and ballpark than the LaScalas and/or the Cornwalls.

Personally, I am at an extremely happy place with modified Belles (and a sub), even though I have owned Cornwalls and have heard many K-horns. I'll just leave it at that.

You asked a question about Tractrix K-horns and/or LaScalas vs. original ones. I presume you may have been asking about Al Klappenberger's Trachorn mod. If so, here were my thoughts:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/676821.aspx

I have since added the same Emminence drivers that Bob Crites' tweeters use to my Belles, and my quest for front speakers (including mods) ended at that point.

Good luck with your search and with shopping.

Carl.

As far as subs go, those that can augment horns 60hz and below and keep up:

HSU

SVS

Paradigm servo 15

Velodyne

Dayton titanic III

VMPS (provided you have a stout dedicated amp)

Many of the subs that keep up tend to be sealed box.

I have a feeling that klipschorns will be my primary target, with belle or la scala as the fallback for placement reasons if required. I do like cornwall, but there is something special about folded horn bass.

"I do like cornwall, but there is something special about folded horn bass."

That was my reason for moving away from Cornwalls - despite their lower extension.

With respect to subs, I agree - with respect to subs from manufacturers 1, 2, 4, and 6.

Again, good luck hunting.

Carl.