F-3 vs RF-3

dakayus

The difficulties for reaching reference around my location took me into considering synergy series too. I ended up with reference and happy with it even though they took me a while to find them from buying off second hand on this forum and many other places etc. But I can tell you they worth it! I grin evilly everytime I walk by the synergy speakers in Best Buy [6]

I think I remember someone from Klipsch (Trey maybe?) saying that the F-3's are essentially rebadged RF-3 II's. That said, I still adore the copper cones and even though I can get synergy at a heavy discount for working at Best Buy, I am dealing only with reference. On a side note, I think Best Buy employees should have access to discounted reference so we all can hear what awesome Klipsch sounds like and therefore suggest our customers go listen as well [;)] Amy, I'm looking in your direction.

I'm sure Best Buy wants their employees suggesting their customers go purchase products from other stores...

There is nothing wrong going with the F3's but you have to ask yourself

if you're going to be regretting your purchase - even if the F3's

exceed expectations. If you know you won't have buyer's remorse after

being pleasantly surprised by the F3's then I would highly recommend

you go that route and save yourself a few bucks and lots of time trying

to hunt down a pair of reference. They are definetly the best bang for

the buck out there.

Btw, there is a dealer locator link at the top of the klipsch

website..."Find a Dealer" That might help you find your local reference

dealer.

I like the metal cones (copper reference line) because to me the sound is more dispersed/wider sound from the metal cones. The Reference line is built with upgraded materials.

The F3 are impressive sounding and good value. The cones are made from good fiber plastics.

If you are just comparing the newest Synergy F-3 with the older out of production Reference RF-3 you will find the Synergy F-3 superior...not re-badged RF-3s, the F-3 is better (according to Klipsch)...compared to say RF-35s or others, I don't know...when I came here I was looking at the same F-3s you mention and RF-35s...I eventually went back to Heritage and did Heresys but that is beyond your question...enjoy.

Bill

oh wow I didn't know that. Umm.... then can i ask what you would purchase in the ball park of 400-650? There's teh RF-35's, possibly a referb F-3 and um.... I'm not sure what there is out there to get the best bang for my buck,

I would also like to ask if the new F-3's are plastic or cerametallic drivers and how much difference does that make? I hope the horn is also really good.

Go to BestBuy and have a listen to the F-3, you will be impressed by the sound. They are very good for the money. It's a good way to go if you want to save $$$.

The RF-35 has Cerametallic cones and a Titanium tweeter.
The F-3 has a IMG cones (Injection Molded [polymer] Graphite) and a Aluminum tweeter.

The specs for the F-3 are here:

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=836&s=specs

Yes the horn is very good in the F-3. If you can, you could try and find a Klipsch dealer and listen to the RF-35 and determine for yourself which you like better and justify if you want to pay for the upgraded materials used in the RF-35.

In addition to different driver materials, there are differences in crossover network and cabinet size. The F-3 is significantly larger than the RF-3. In that sense, the F-3 has an advantage. F-3's are not rebadged anything. They are a unique design from the ground up.

Press the link and call the three nearest dealers. There are

several post on this forum where members have mentioned buying RF-35's

and or RF-82's for less than $400 each. BB wants more than that

for the F-3. Unless I am missing an important step, the F-3 does

not save you any money.

Keep in mind, you may have to call more than one dealer. I called

several, two of them gave me the list price and told me to take it or

leave it, the others gave varying discounts. If there is just no

dealer in your area, consider asking a high end audio shop to become a

dealer, I am sure Klipsch would not mind. Alternatively, if there

really are no dealers within a reasonable drive, you should pay

attention, that is opportunity knocking. Become a dealer yourself.

I will say this, the only buyers remorse I have about buying my Synergy F-3s is the fact knowing that I bought them at Best Buy, it probably wouldn't bother the average person but even though I love the sound of the F-3s paired with NAD and my old Pioneer for that matter it just makes me feel like I got a lower end speaker because I bought it at Best Buy and not some small brick and morter audio store. I know I'm just being picky.

Let list the super stores we hate, I will start:

Wal-mart (everything is destroyed and was made in some other country forcing us to lose jobs and still buy from there) (also the little 5 year olds out of control bug the hell out of me)

Bestbuy (everything destroyed and crappy shit they sell)

McDonalds (15 year old workers telling me to wait and starts to take the next customer's order when infact that customer called her a moron too)

No company can make it unless a major percentage of people are supporting it. People are what keep a company in business. Times are changing and sometimes you wonder if it's really for the better but I guess that must be what the larger percentage of the people want? I've watched many audio places go out of business. BestBuy has bought a few and now they are closed, one being Magnolia HiFi, the competition keeps getting fewer. That should concern us all.

• 1 month later...