RF63 vs RF82

greg0320

Listened to RF63's in store today. Was very impressed. Wanting to hear RF82's in order to compare them, since I have been leaning that direction. Since they did not have any yet, compared them to the 35 which he said the 82 was replacing. Have to say, the RF63 sounded much better.

Will wait until RF82 comes in to do real compare, but am curious as to how they will stack up to RF63.

Anyne had the opportunity yet to listen to both RF63 and RF82? Opinions?

Thanks

Greg

Both newer generation reference floorstands, one with dual 8" woofers vs one with triple 6.5" woofers. Appart from the differences in the cabinetry, I wonder what the difference in sound and dynamics are between the two. I like the fact that the RF 63 is fairly slim... easier to accomodate in certain spaces.

Not sure about 7's, but the store I was in Saturday perhaps had RF63's on sale for $699 or less (normally $900 each), but the RF83's were still higher. However, I would suspect that you could get a very good deal being that they normally run $1250 each.

Products were considered to be "B" stock (i.e., slight cosmetic imperfections), though I could not see any problem.

Issue is, once you jump to one of these speakers, the chain effect may require you to upgrade all other speakers. That is why I am wanting to know wheather RF63's sound that much better than RF82's.

Greg

The RF-63 has the larger compression driver (same as the RF-83). They are a bit smoother and more extended. The RF-82's are a rockin' speaker...the RF-63's are a bit more refined to my ears. Just keep in mind that if you get the RF-63's and you are planning on a surround system, you'll need to get the RC-64 which is the only center to have the same matching larger compression driver as well. It is a big 'un.

Thanks for the feedback. I was impressed with the RF63. Sounded very open, spacious. But was curious as to whether I could stay with the RC62 or have to move up to the RC64.

If that is the case, just have to hope the RF82 meets the bill, becuase you're right...the RC64 is a big speaker. Larger then I want to deal with for a center channel speaker.

Greg

I did not hear the RF-63 but I have auditioned the the RF-35 and later

bought the RF-82. It is not a fair comparison since the 35's were

on the showroom floor and 82's are in my home but the 82, IMHO, sounds

better than the 35 if that helps any.

• 6 months later...

The RF-63 has the larger compression driver (same as the RF-83). They are a bit smoother and more extended. The RF-82's are a rockin' speaker...the RF-63's are a bit more refined to my ears. Just keep in mind that if you get the RF-63's and you are planning on a surround system, you'll need to get the RC-64 which is the only center to have the same matching larger compression driver as well. It is a big 'un.

This is my First Post to these forums. Hello Folks.

Now my Issue. I hope I'm doing the right thing here. I bought a home theater system last week. I don't have the components yet. It consists of a Denon 85 watt per channel 7.1 receiver, Klipsch RF82s for the sides, and a Martin Logan Vignette for the center. I will be bi-amping the RF82s, and not using a sub or rear speakers, Just the front ones. In the store (Magnolia) we auditioned the system, and to compensate for the inefficiency of the Martin Logan, we increased the volume by 6db on the center channel. I know the Vignette is not sonically the same as the Klipsch, but it sounds so good on the upper end, and seemed go with the RF82s. In the sound room it sounded great.

What do you folks think? Let me have it - PLEASE!!!

Thank You

Lou

Well, IMO ditch the Martin Logan's. They are a nice speaker , nice design... but sonicaly they are boring. It is best to match Klipsch with Klipsch so that you have that same signature sound throughtout for your listenign pleasure.

The RF 82's you have are a GREAT speaker. I too auditioned the RF 82' as well as the Clarities from the Logan line at a Magnolia store. 82's easily tore down the Logans in all departmentsl; engaging engaging engaging, thats all that needs to be said about Klipsch.

Do yourself a favor and grab a Klipsch center, then after awhile upgrade your system with beefier wattage then kick back and smile as your towers unleash some mad sound.

I think you should dump the ML and get an RC-62 you will not regret it. 

Out of curiosity, if you are running a center channel, why not rears?

My Wife. She's not a fan of a Surround Sound System, or a Sub. She wants to hear the voices, hence the center speaker. I got her to agree to the Klipsch, and I figure if I bi-amp them, the bass will be stronger. The bass response without bi-amping at Magnolia seemed very good during my audition.

Thanks for the responses, I'm still mulling this over. As I said, the Vignette's did sound very good with the RF82s and to my ears realistic. I am however, very worried about the sound (over time) in my home by mixing two brands of speakers that have different sonic properties and efficiencies.

Lou

• 1 year later...

Wow - Old thread resurrected with my first post here. I still have the RF82s and ditched the MLs and got the RC-82. I've also added an RW-12d, which IMO, was well needed. I'm a happy camper.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Lou