RF7's

Both actually. You really need the right amp to drive them with music. Lots of good reccommendations here on the forum in previous posts for amplifiers that get the most out of RF-7's.

I am only interested in music.

A lot of people in this forum like classical/jazz/instrumental/etc. I know the RF-7's are good for these types of music as I read.

Are they good for modern music such as Pop, Rap, Rock, Country? Are the highs too loud?

I own the rf-83 the replacement to the rf-7.

Let me say and I heard the rf-7 too that these are the first speakers that sounded right to me for classical music. I used to play the violin and it stirs my soul when i hear it faithfully reproduced on the klipsch, I mean this is the one speaker that actually sounds like a violin which is to say (harsh and bright) and not bsing it like most other companies to make violins sound warm and composing (that is a viola [;)])

Anyways Klipsch is well known to be a rock and roll speaker and the rf-7 do not differ. Rap sure but its not going to be muddied so if your into the one note rap with lyrics that you cannot make out then this is not the speaker. Pop sure but make sure its no britney speakers [:P]

I have a diverse range of music and there is none that dissappointed me yet on the rf-83 which are very close to the rf-7. BTW you probably do not even need a sub. Also yes the right type reciever or amp is crucial. Eventhough they are effiecent you need the current to back up the wattage.

Also I would say they are great for movies but music is more the thing for them as they can dig deep without a subwoofer as opposed to the THX Ultra II that were made predominately for movies which has a f3 of 50 hertz range and was designed with the subwoofer.

Hi guys,

I've never played classical music myself, but I love to listen to it, especially pieces with heavy violins [i.e. Meditation (Thais), by Massenet]. Personally speaking, (and since we're talking violins here) I've never heard them sound as real or natural as when played through my La Scalas (or Khorns); there are no cone drivers that can even come close to the sound that comes from the k401 midrange horn.

As PWK said, midrange is where we live, musically speaking, and the graphs below confirm this:

musical instrument frequencies - Ranges of the Fundamental Frequencies of instruments and voices

Rangee

If you look at the instruments and their corresponding frequency ranges, you'll understand that most of the "action" is over by 2.5khz to 3khz. That's where the Reference series runs into problems, in my opinion, because they don't cross over from the woofer to the horn until approximately 1.7kh to 2.2khz or so, depending on the model. This means that only a small amount of the "music" is being produced by the horn - most of it is being produced by the cones! <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I'm not trying to turn this into a heritage vs. reference debate; I'm simply offering some observations and facts from a fellow classical music lover. There's a h-u-g-e difference between sound produced by a cone and sound produced by a horn. It's a purely subjective issue, to be sure, but regardless of where you may stand on this topic, there *is* a major difference in sound presentation...one that's easily heard.

If you like to listen to classical music, you owe it to yourself to listen to a speaker with both a horn-loaded midrange and a cone midrange before making a purchase. I have no idea which one you'll prefer, but you *will* hear a difference.

Good luck!

-H2G

I like R&B+Pop most.. is it going to be really good for this type of music?

Will something like Destiny's child - Bad Habits sound good on an RF-7?

I can't imagine that music sounding good on any speakers![+o(]

Seriously though, you can't go wrong with the RF7s. Everything will sound great.

GaryMD is a jazz fanatic [;)] and a deadhead

I listen to in no particular order:

Rock

Progressive Rock

Indie Rock

Rap (older stuff non of the new crap)

R&B

Jazz

Classical

Movie Soundtracks

Dance

Trance

Techno

Pop

Ambient

etc

They all sound great on the RF-83

I disagree. I cant speak to the reference line, but complaints in Rap - R&B - Hip Hop genre seem to be a pretty common theme with the Heritage line. Thanks god I dont listen to that too much anymore.

C

I happen to agree with the above statement; I've read more then a few complaints on this forum about that genre on the heritage lineup. I think it has to do with the fact that, overall, the heritage lineup can produce deep, clean, very realistic bass. But listeners of Rap & Hip Hop tend to want "boomy", "sloppy", or "exaggerated" bass to make their music sound "right". In other words, they want a kind of bass that the heritage line does not offer.

As usual, the above is just my opinion - I don't claim it to be gospel - lol.

Happy listening!

-H2G

That's why I listen to older rap that focused more on slam, punch, and lyrics then low bass rattle and trying to make it the loudest thing known to man.....

Also there is only soo many times you can say I got money, cars, girls, fabulous watches, houses etc......