Guess I'm Just a Heritage Guy...

...Well...been A/B'ing my Klipsch Heritage Heresys (1978 H-BR with Bob Crites updated crossovers) and Klipsch Reference RB-5s (Mahogany) and I think I prefer the Heresys...The RB-5s have a lot of bass FOR THEIR SIZE and sound really nice FOR THEIR SIZE (about one third the size of the Heresy) but...and I know this is not a scientific test (I have had Heresys for over a year but the RB-5s for just a week or so) as I am USED TO the "Heritage" sound but when I listen to the two, it seems the middle is missing on the RB-5s...then listening to the RB-5s for a bit...they sound great...unitl I change back to the Heresys...hmmmmm...Toshiba SD3950...various CDs and powered by my McIntosh MA6200 integrated amp...I seem to have gotten a very different response than most here on the forum as to these two speakers...just some random thoughts...Bill

There's nothin' wrong with prefering the Heresys,sometimes its a matter

of what we're used to and sometimes we just prefer the other

product.The ones that are the most satisfying are the ones to keep,or

both.I like the7's sometimes and the 20's othertimes.

I don't feel the Heresy's get a fair shake here. They are not Cornwalls, Belles , La Scalas, or the" Big Dog'' Khorns, different league, different game. What they are, smaller, well designed, well crafted, 3 way acoustic suspension speakers, that when pushed can crank with the best of them. The worst thing about them, they are light in the Bass area, but nothing a sub won't cure. Some people just don't have the room for the bigger speakers, and the Heresy helps fill that void. I can't imagine owning anything but the Heritage Series, looks, quality, sound reproduction, bang for the buck factor, and the top of the Klipsch line. Never mind years of service you will get with this product.

Bought my Heresy's in 1985 at the BX in Daharan, Saudi Arabia and enjoyed them them very much!! Replaced them with KLF 20s which had better bass but I think the Heresy's were better in the midrange and tweeter. Finaly ended up with La Scalas.

Had many late night college parties with them and not once did anyone complain about lack of bass. Of course we were too busy drinking and playing darts, great combination but it was dangerous sometimes.

...Well...been A/B'ing my Klipsch Heritage Heresys (1978 H-BR with Bob Crites updated crossovers) and Klipsch Reference RB-5s (Mahogany) and I think I prefer the Heresys...The RB-5s have a lot of bass FOR THEIR SIZE and sound really nice FOR THEIR SIZE (about one third the size of the Heresy) but...and I know this is not a scientific test (I have had Heresys for over a year but the RB-5s for just a week or so) as I am USED TO the "Heritage" sound but when I listen to the two, it seems the middle is missing on the RB-5s...then listening to the RB-5s for a bit...they sound great...unitl I change back to the Heresys...hmmmmm...Toshiba SD3950...various CDs and powered by my McIntosh MA6200 integrated amp...I seem to have gotten a very different response than most here on the forum as to these two speakers...just some random thoughts...Bill

When I switch from my three-way speakers with horns producing the midrange (Heresy, La Scala) to my two-way speakers with cones (KG4) I always notice what you say about "the middle missing." <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I simply chalk it up to my own personal observation that the Klipsch two-ways (Reference, KG series, etc...) tend to produce excellent bass with excellent highs but are lacking in the mids due to the cones producing them. If you can recall the old graphic equalizers of the 70s/80s, the Reference and KG sound would be akin to the ubiquitous "V" shaped pattern, with the mids being at the bottom of the "V".

On the contrary, if you're listening to Khorns, Cornwalls, Fortes, KLF30s, KLF20s (or other, well-rounded - sonically speaking - speakers from Klipsch), the mids seem as excellent as the highs and bass; in other words, no more "V" shaped EQ sounds!

The problem with the Heresy and the La Scala (La Scalas depend somewhat on the music being played and their physical positioning, i.e. Craig seems to get very good bass out of his) is that they have excellent mids and highs but weak lower bass. In other words, they can sound as "uneven" as the Reference or KG series.

The above is simply my own observations; like you said above, silversport - it's not a "scientific" test by any means.

-H2G

Is that the Toshiba player that everybody was having a cow over, some time ago?

SD 3950?

Not to hijack the thread, but the Toshiba 3950 morphed into the 3960 and now the 3990. The 3990 I bought at Bestbuy goes for $59.00 and there's simply very little to say bad about the way they sound. I wonder if there's any other manufacture that makes a 24/196 upsampled CD player for under five hundred bucks. It took me a year and a half of almost daily use to before the first 3950 lost a transport. It took me about thirty munites to diagnose the problem and about fifteen seconds to toss it in the dumpster!

Regards,

...Well...been

A/B'ing my Klipsch Heritage Heresys (1978 H-BR with Bob Crites updated

crossovers) and Klipsch Reference RB-5s (Mahogany) and I think I prefer

the Heresys...The RB-5s have a lot of bass FOR THEIR SIZE and sound

really nice FOR THEIR SIZE (about one third the size of the Heresy)

but...and I know this is not a scientific test (I have had Heresys for

over a year but the RB-5s for just a week or so) as I am USED TO the

"Heritage" sound but when I listen to the two, it seems the middle is

missing on the RB-5s...then listening to the RB-5s for a bit...they

sound great...unitl I change back to the Heresys...hmmmmm...Toshiba

SD3950...various CDs and powered by my McIntosh MA6200 integrated

amp...I seem to have gotten a very different response than most here on

the forum as to these two speakers...just some random

thoughts...Bill

When I switch from my

three-way speakers with horns producing the midrange (Heresy, La Scala)

to my two-way speakers with cones (KG4) I always notice what you say

about "the middle missing."

I simply chalk it up to my own

personal observation that the Klipsch two-ways (Reference, KG

series, etc...) tend to produce excellent bass with excellent highs but

are lacking in the mids due to the cones producing them. If you can

recall the old graphic equalizers of the 70s/80s, the Reference and KG

sound would be akin to the ubiquitous "V" shaped pattern,

with the mids being at the bottom of the "V".

On the contrary, if you're

listening to Khorns, Cornwalls, Fortes, KLF30s, KLF20s (or other,

well-rounded - sonically speaking - speakers from Klipsch), the mids

seem as excellent as the highs and bass; in other words, no more "V"

shaped EQ sounds!

The problem with the Heresy and

the La Scala (La Scalas depend somewhat on the music being played and

their physical positioning, i.e. Craig seems to get very good bass out

of his) is that they have excellent mids and highs but weak lower

bass. In other words, they can sound as "uneven" as the Reference or KG

series.

The above is simply my own observations; like you said above, silversport - it's not a "scientific" test by any means.

-H2G

Hmmm....I never really thought about the "V" EQ thing and

reference.Back in the day I always had my eq set in the V shape,I

always found mids to be the freq I wanted to cut slightly.There was

just something about the sound I liked with the mids toned down,maybe

thats the reason I like the rf series so well.

My 3960 acts a bit squirrelly at times - I'll throw a new CD in it and it'll spin and spin and spin and not read it so I'll take it out and then reinsert it and it'll work fine (for the record, I check all discs to ensure they're clean before playing them, i.e. no smudges or fingerprints to obstruct the laser).

In addition, there are times when the 3960 is pretty noisy when it's reading the first few tracks, but quiets down when it gets to the middle and end ones. I guess this is because the CD needs to spin quicker during the beginning tracks since a CD is read from the inside out and it stresses the machine somehow.

The above issues don;t happen all the time, but they do happen some of the time. I simply chalk it up to the cheap build quality of the unit (I think I paid 49 or 59 bucks for it on sale at Best Buy a year or two ago).

The stellar, on-board 24/196 DAC sure sounds sweet though!

-H2G

Is that the Toshiba player that everybody was having a cow over, some time ago?

SD 3950?

Not to hijack the thread, but the Toshiba 3950 morphed into the 3960 and now the 3990. The 3990 I bought at Bestbuy goes for $59.00 and there's simply very little to say bad about the way they sound. I wonder if there's any other manufacture that makes a 24/196 upsampled CD player for under five hundred bucks. It took me a year and a half of almost daily use to before the first 3950 lost a transport. It took me about thirty munites to diagnose the problem and about fifteen seconds to toss it in the dumpster!

Regards,

thanks...I have 2 3950s...I was getting on occasion where the CD would just stop...a couple of times it started back up but this is rare...I had one sitting atop of my Panamax MAX5100 and my brother said it was soaking heat from the Panamax...I didn't think the Panamax got hot but since moving it I have not had this happen again...I think ever progressive model has gotten even cheaper with the build quality as the latest 3990 was REALLY flimsy and the 3950 is no Rock of Gibraltar...thanks again...Bill

Consider that whether you are listening to Reference or Heritage, the freqency responses are quite similiar. So, there is no midrange "missing" with Reference -- IOW, there is no dip in the output. What you are hearing is simply the difference in sound between cones and horns.

I dig the Reference sound quite a bit. I think they are much more forgiving.

Gotcha, Dean...I know what you're saying - there's no dip in the midrange requency, per se, but its appears that way when you listen (at least to me) due to the difference in the way the midrange is presented (horns vs. cones).

To me, the 2-ways (KG or Reference) crossed at around 2khz always sound "weak" in the midrange due to their strong bass and the strong highs. When I listen to well-rounded 3-ways (Cornwalls or Fortes, for instance), everything seems "strong".

This is just a good example, I guess, on how frequency response measurements can't tell the whole story.

-H2G