From Scratch: Need Ideas for $5K HT System

Fried Elliott

I need help!

My daughter's boyfriend has built a house and he wants to spend $5,000 for the home theater system. He doesn't fully understand all the ins and outs and he has asked my advice on how to spend it. I like these kind of boy friends! cwm32.gif

This HT will go in a big open area in living room where he has already created a built-in for the tv capable of holding 60" projection system. There is another room upstairs that eventually will be the personal viewing room. I'm thinking a 60" 4:3 projection system downstairs and eventually a 36-40" 16:9 tube or panel system upstairs (not in this $5K). Which ones?

He thinks the little Bose speaker cubes are cool because he can aim them. Help!!! What is a good Klipsch product line set for a 20x30 LR with high ceilings?

Electronics. I'm partial to Denon. AVR, DVD Player, and CD jukebox (Sony?) Latest thoughts?

Anything else I'm missing.

Thanks! Lets go shopping!

I hope the TV isn't included in the $5k pricetag!? He already has one I assume.

I'd let him go with the bose stuff so when he comes to your house he'll be very jeaous when you pop in a DVD! Smile.gif

I won't make any suggestions because I'm still a relative newbie to HT.

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

19?? Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

Onkyo TX-DS787 (reciever)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV)

If all he wants to do is aim his speakers then the Bose are great. However, if he wants highs, lows and dynamic range they fall flat on their cute little grills. I don't think many will argue when I say Bose SUCKS donkey. Great at marketing though. They're the biggest selling speaker in the U.S.. Then again, the Ford Pinto outsold the Jaguar. Smile.gif I'm very partial to the heritage Klipsch line and these can be had used on Ebay quite reasonably. Put together a used Cornwall/Heresy setup if you have the space and be "blown away".

Klipsch will give him sensitivity and dynamic realism. He can then use a lower powered and less expensive receiver and pour the money he saves into a better TV or good subwoofer. I personally like the Hitachi Ultravision 53" models but there are many other good contenders.

The Marantz SR8000 sounds great for music and movies. Highly recomended for those of you who use your HT rig for music. Some receivers sound dynamic for movies but harsh for music, not the Marantz. Very smooth and musical while still dynamic and big sounding for those big action films.

So many choices!! Have fun.

I always enjoy spending other peoples money. What are our options/restrictions as to speaker placement? Floorstanding, bookshelf, wall mounting etc?

As for TV's, I do not think it makes any sense to invest in a 4:3 TV for a home theater environment. For my money, even though direct view sets still have a bit of an edge in ultimate picture quality, for home theater, bigger is better. So I would get the largest 16:9 projection sets that fit the budget.

------------------

L/C/R: Klipsch Heresy II

Surround: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofers: 2 HSU-VTF-2

Pre/Pro/Tuner: McIntosh MX-132

AMP: McIntosh MC-7205

DVD: McIntosh MVP-831

CD Transport: Pioneer PD-F908 100 Disc Changer

Turntable: Denon DP-72L

Cassette: Nakamichi BX-1

T.V. : Mitsubishi 55905

SAT/HDTV: RCA DTC-100

Surge Protector: Monster Power HTS-5000

Been there, done that with the Bose cubes. Still have some in the Living Room and Khorns waiting in the basement. Go figure!

Personally, I think the Marantz is a good choice, or Denon's good (my personal preference); even Nakamichi makes nice units (AV-10) that can be had on the internet for less than a grand ...

Anyway, I would suggest five Heresy's and a KSW-12 as a start ... Heresy's go for about $500 a pair on Ebay, sometimes less. The sub goes for about $310 on the internet. A good Toshiba DVD goes for about $250. Take the leftover $2K and get a comfy listening sofa.

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

I agree with everyone on the speakers. Go with used Heritage speakers and he will be in 7th heaven. I just picked up a pair of Heresy's for $180 at a garage sale and they rock! I would also look for Cornwalls as my mains but if not available locally, try and find some Chorus, Chorus II's, Forte II's or even Quartets. A great speaker for the money ($400-$700). If he can get his hands on a pair of La Scala's for under $1000, I would have him jump on them.

As for electronics, I would buy used there as well. Have him check out AudiogoN, eBay, Audio Review and the Yahoo websites. There is always something available at a good price. If he can, get everything local so he can check it out before purchasing...

Mike

I bought all our HT stuff on eBay and saved a bundle. I'm sure I'm going to wind up buying most of it for them too! Hmmm... my fee might be a KSW-12 for myself... I know! I'll sell him my HT setup and use the money to get new stuff for me!!!

Their LR is huge and I think just about any speaker mounting/stand arrange will work. I like the idea of four Hereseys and a ksw sub; -12 or -15? What would you use for the center? Another Heresey (might be hard to find just one) or a true "center"?

How much power should I be looking for in the AVR? I'm not used to dealing with spaces this big --- In our own small HT room, I like to sit close and comfy with my snuggle bunny, the lovely wife and woman of my dreams. Course, watching Julia Roberts get married to some guy for the 50th time,... well, we don't really need a 60" monitor and the audio power demands placed on our HT are minimal.

This message has been edited by Fried Elliott on 11-01-2001 at 04:03 PM

Fried, could use a KLF-C7 as a center or buy a third pair of Heresy's, keep the better of the two and sell the other on Ebay as a center for someone else. I did it about three system revs ago (last year).

Five Heresy's would sound GREAT.

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

I agree with Chris on the Heresy's. I have been playing mine for 3 straight days now out of my bedroom. I just figured since he had the room, and if you can find them locally, try out some Cornwalls, Chorus II's or Forte II's to go with those Heresy's. Have fun finding all the gear and let us know what you end up with...

Mike

Get 6 Heresy's (3 pairs) and use the 6th for rear center channel!

If size is a concern (and it might be if he likes the little Bose stuff), look at the RB-3/RB-5's. They have a great sound (especially compared to the Bose), with RS-3 surrounds. Again, you could get 3 pairs of bookshelfs and use the 3rd pair for front/rear center. I've seen the RB-5 non-II version on clearance for about $250 each ($500/pair). Get an SVS sub (plus it looks kewl) and you'll blast the place.

DD2

With five H II's would he really need the sub right away? He would be getting plenty of bass and could always add the sub later.

Great idea on splitting the pair and reselling.

I am something of a woodworker and we could refinish all five to match up very nicely. That would be awesome. I'm assuming they're oak veneer?

Fried - Heresy's aren't known for strong bass. Get a subwoofer, like an SVS...

DD2

Or, go like Ross Taylor did - 2 LaScala's, a Heresy center, and 2 Heresy surrounds (or add a Heresy rear center channel, per my post above) plus a good sub.

This message has been edited by dougdrake2 on 11-01-2001 at 05:20 PM

Fried, they all have a veneer, I believe. Some are Raw Birch, some are Walnut, Oak, Mahagony or Cherry. I would look for the raw birch ones, regardless if they have been stained. That's what I did and restained them in a Dark Walnut. I don't know if I would mess with anything else. Of course, that's just me...

Mike

Mike, would be interested in hearing how your staining of the raw birch went ... I have a pair of Khorns that shipped raw birch from the factory, and a few owners ago someone put a clear finish on the top of it. They look nice but the finished is aging, cracking and yellowing.

Was thinking of stripping or sanding down to the birch again, and either washing or staining the birch to either something lighter or darker. Does your stain look consistent? One of the challenges of birch, I've heard, is that it tends to "blotch" or absorb/reject stains at different rates. I think a sealer of some kind would be required before doing anything else. I'm definitely a NOVICE at this stuff and your helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

------------------

---------------------

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Humm for $5K how would I spend it. Personally if it is going to be a dedicated HT room I would suggest front projection and a 9 or 10 wide screen. Also make sure he gets a Widesceen system, 4:3 is on its way out the door. If he goes with a rear projection TV get a 65" for that huge room. Either one of these solutions will cost at least $4K so hopefully the $5K budget does not include the TV.

I agree with the 6 Heresy suggestions or maybe the R*3 series. No matter what type of speakers you get you defintely need a sub for the LFE channel in movies. SVS or one of the new Klipsch. I am partial to HK AVR's but any of the ones mentioned would be good. The power rating you should be looking at would be 80 Watts per channel or more of GOOD quality amplification. As you know Klipsch are efficent so you will not necessarily need a monster amp. Also get a DVD player that is capable of progessive scan. There is a Sony model out for ~$350 that is getting all sorts of good reviews.

Since you are in Plano if you would like to hear what Cornwall mains and Heresy surrounds (RC3 center) with HK power sound like let me know and I can demo it for you. Also I would be more than happy to help set it all up :-) I have my own SPL meter really I do :-)

EDIT - dang well I missed some points. With a room that big if he wants to fill it with bass that he can FEEL he will need at least 2 SVS' or 15" subs. Also Toshiba and Mitsubishi are the leaders as far as TV's go. I an pretty sure that both of their 65" diag models will just fit into a 60" wide opening. I have a 62" wide opening that I am planning and I have checked both of those models out. However they are also each about 60" tall too so that may affect things. Hillcrest HiFi is a great place to go demo Klipsch and widescreen TV. The salespeople there are much more knowledgeable than the typical Best Buy person.

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

This message has been edited by eq_shadimar on 11-02-2001 at 01:31 PM

I am new this forum and this is my first post, but I have some ht experience. Recently I have been dismantling my old ht to make room for new and doing so I sold my screen ( 8 ft wide) and my barcographics 808s front projector.

So, this is what I can offer.

3 KT-LCR thx certified klipsch speakers for the front left, front center and front right each at $300 + shipping( the actual price for three was $1500 + shipping,that's if you can find them)

A pair of KT-DS the same thx certified surround by Klipsch at $400 + shipping( Actually $750 + shipping for the pair, given you can find one).

2 VMPS large sub(check out the www.vmpsaudio.com and look for larger subwoofer) + a 450 watts per channel professional crown amp(PB-2) to drive them all together at $1450 + shipping ( vmps subs are each $700 with free shipping if you by new, and the amplifier is $1099 new).

All these are in pristine condition and they are still very dear to me.

Altogether around $2750 + shipping you have a sound system that anyone else would either die for or kill ,in order to lay their hands on it!

If you are interested contact me and before that check these things out at klipsch website.

My prices are firm. I am not trying to push something that I hate, I still would love to keep them, only that I need some more room but if I don't the price I want I will keep them. Now , even after this you will be left with enough money to buy a decent sized 16 by 9 tv.

This message has been edited by sg882bhc on 11-05-2001 at 03:49 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Fried Elliott:

I need help!

My daughter's boyfriend has built a house and he wants to spend $5,000 for the home theater system. He doesn't fully understand all the ins and outs and he has asked my advice on how to spend it. I like these kind of boy friends!
cwm32.gif

Thanks! Lets go shopping!

Toshiba 57H81 w/ RV-V1200 and Klipsch RF-3 reference package -- that's my current setup and cost me around that price (within $5 actually cwm1.gif...

Atul