August Battle of the Amps Gathering in St. Louis

It was a small but enthusiastic gathering. Good times were had by all.

Over at Dave's house, two pieces really stood out to me. One - the Hadley. I was impressed how this original push-pull tube amp carried itself. That's not to say it was in the VRD's class, but the Hadley had a nice sound that I really appreciated. The other piece was Capt. Bob's Marantz SACD player (forget model #). I must say it had excellent redbook playback considering it did not add tubes, etc. to the mix. And the SACD playback was a tad better than my SACDs I have heard with my Denon.

Our session at Dave's house also highlighted some of the differences between Klipschorns and Cornwalls. Sure, Cornwalls sound good if you never heard Klipschorns, but once you do - no comparison. Dave's K-horns are original '91s with AK-3s, and those who defend keeping things OEM sure missed out because his K-horns sounded great - througout the date - and despite different gear changes.

Thanks NaimNut and Lo123 for the kind words about my system. Its been a journey, and it is enough that I receive so much satisfaction from my stuff. But, its nice to hear others' opinions as well. And nice to see the reaction on people's faces as well. One of my favorite moments was seeing Capt Bob's face after the start of Hotel California (Hell Freezes over DVD), when he said something to the effect of "where can I get this (experience)?"

The versatility of my system allows me to switch back and forth cueing up various sources while others are playing (CD vs. SACD/DVD-Audio/DVD vs. vinyl) that I was able to keep things going back to back to back - quickly. As mentioned, we sampled a variety of multi-channel discrete discs in true 5.1 (Eagles, Steeley Dan, Diana Krall, AC/DC, Fleetwood Mac, Yes, etc.) as well as some CDs on the tubed player (Yes, Floyd, Sinatra, SRV, etc.) and some vinyl (Crosby, Stills and Nash, Doobies, Seeger, etc.) to give everyone a taste of what some certain "mods" can do. And yes, those in the room gained a new appreciation for JuicyMusic again (Peach with CDs and vinyl).

Mark, those are QSC PLX amps across the front, and even at low - to medium - to high volumes, they just sound great. I will still keep and run my tube amps for years to come, but damned if I don't just shake my head, every time I listen to the QSCs. As I explained, with five big horns, I do not like running all tube amps during the summer months. But, the QSCs do surprisingly fine in place of some of the tube amps.

Not only was it a great time with good people, it was nice for Mark and Larry to get a Heritage education, and for the rest of us to enjoy . . . .

Hope to do something similar again real soon.

Carl.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the fine write-ups guys. Glad to hear that the Cornies held their own and that everyone had a good time. This is what it's all about people. If you haven't been to a gathering of Klipsch Forum members, get yerself to one real soon. It's about the experience, and listening to fine music on classic equipment with others who truly appreciate it is a fantastic way to spend the day and make new friends.

M

Carl's set up was most impressive -- something to aspire to.

Dave's was quite nice too - the black K-Horns are most striking, and if anything cosmic ever happens to the Marantz 7, I'll know what kind of preamp to go shopping for.

My only disappointment was not getting everybody to the radio station - I don't vacuum the museum and dust the Belles for just anyone!

Thanks to Dave and Carl for putting it together.

You think it was impressive last weekend? You ought to hear it now. Last night, I went back to all tube amps - for the front main Belles and rear Altec surrounds. Oh, baby................

The QSC PLXs are great amps, and they are not leaving the setup. But, there is always something "special" about running all tubes - front and rear.

Seriously though, thanks to all for the kind words. Colter is right. Getting together is what it is all about and what makes this hobby worthwhile.

Carl.

I was bummed, Bob. For those who don't know, Bob has one of the three best private microphone collections I have ever seen, and that doesn't hold a candle to the vintage radio station museum at KFUO, where he works as a manager. He put in a lot of legwork to get us access to the museum, but our schedule got compressed and the visit never happened.

Bob also has one of the premier closets and stereos at a workplace. There is a reason Bob, Maron, and some of the stereo guru emeritii on the Klipsch forum have so much knowledge - many of them have lived through the golden era of stereo development and manufacturing excellance, and they also snagged a lot of the good stuff along the way.

Bob, Maron, and some of the stereo guru emeritii on the Klipsch forum have so much knowledge - many of them have lived through the golden era of stereo development and manufacturing excellance, and they also snagged a lot of the good stuff along the way.

I don't know about that, it makes me sound old!

Next thing you know, I'll be reminiscing about sitting on the porch drinking lemonade with Lee DeForest and Tom Edison.

Seriously, the tour was no bother to set up, and things worked out quite well, I thought.

i wish i would have thought about this but this would have been great to put on current tv. have about current tv.did anyone video this & could made into a great pod for them play. can this be put together? if you need more info let me know............at least chech out current tv.

Maybe it is just me, but I woud have zero interest in broadcasting my house over the internet. Even with our attack sheltie on the premises. We are even hesitant to invite people over until they have established a bona fide, or there are some trusted friends attending.

YMMV, but this also creates a reason to attend one of these throwdowns in your area...