Cheap Cornwalls in Tulsa, OK.... Yo Gilbert

Thanks Neil, I call it 'keeping it all in the Family'.

Gilbert, those look pretty nice for $5 bills! Every pair I have is dinged, chipped veneer, wrecked grills or looks like they were dragged across a gravel parking lot. You done good with that pair. Those look nicer than any CW's I currently own.

Michael

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone pulled the trigger on these yet?

If they were in Indy they'd be in my garage by now and someone here could buy them from me. (actually more likely I'd keep these beauties and sell of a rougher pair)

Just say YES, and buy them, figure out shipping etc later.

You might be sorry later if these get away due to indecision. These are a good bargain, pretty, fairly close, and fantastic price.

M

You've got 300 miles one way, 600/15mpgx$3gal is a $120 trip.

And you could probably sneak in a visit with Gilbert. Maybe someone could pickup and hold for you if you buy them over the phone Bill? I sent you the phone number, you can google for Golden Pawn and it's right there.

Michael

Bill,

Just let me know how I can help ya. But please note, the speakers do have a few nicks and veneer chip near the bottom. I believe the photos I took show them. If not, I can take a few more. Should be easier now that Michael has called and talked with them.

The pawn shop guys had expressed concern and were a bit nervous when I asked if I could take some pictures of their merchandise. But when I told them I knew I guy in AR that might want the speakers, they agreed to let me take the pic's.

Neil has the vault, but in all honesty, I don't think it's necessary for this purchase. It's just a 3 1/2 to 4 hour drive, if that. Anyway, let me know....FYI, I have a new email address.......the new email address is duphas@cox.net for home, and gilbertl@wallacesc.com for work. Feel free to call me too, 918-361-6668 mobile.

Gilbert, I agree that this is not a job for the vault.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Regarding the pawn shops discomfort when you requested photos, it's the nature of the pawn shop business to not inquire too closely regarding the history of the items pawned. You cant be convicted of receiving and concealing stolen property if you remain ignorant as to the details.

Its kind of like criminal defense attorneys who pretend that their clients are innocent. An attorney cant ethically (I know thats an oxymoron) put his/her client on the stand if he/she knows the testimony will be perjured, i.e., they preserve the fiction that the defendants alibi, etc. is truthful by never inquiring about the truth. Criminal defense attorneys deal in legal technicalities, the truth is a luxury they and their clients, typically, cant afford.

Yea, I knew why they were nervous. I just felt uncomfortable with all 4 of them watching me like a hawk from behind the counter.

From the moment I walk in there, I felt like I was at criminal convention. There were 2 lines of what had to be about 30 unscrupulous looking people waiting to pawn off they're stuff.

I've pawned one thing in my life, and that was to pay a phone bill. Ah, the good ole college days. Anyway, that was the first and last time (until a couple days ago) I stepped foot into a pawn shop. I just don't care for the quality of people that seem to frequent these types of places, or maybe I'm just a wimpy mama's boy/ostrich.

I would love to have them but I just cant get away right now. I have 2 customer's in house to pick up their new planes; One is going to Italy and is painted Ferrari silver the other is going to Aruba and has to be ready for the Authorities from Aruba Wednesday. If they are still there later in the week I will consider it real hard to make the trip Friday or Saturday. If some one else wants to make a move by all means go for it. Thanks Bill

Bill, don't sweat it. I have lots of cornwalls, and I would be willing to part with a pair for you. Almost any pair too. Most would be a higher asking price than the speakers at the pawn shop, because they are a hell of a lot nicer looking both inside and out. But I also have that pair of Decorator Cornwalls that fedex dinged up. I would be willing to let them go for significantly less money, and you can check them out before you go to the pawn shop to physically check out those speakers.

On the other hand, if you really have your heart set on the pair at the Pawn shop, and are certain they meet your expectations,...I can help you out by hauling them a bit closer for you. I'm in S.E. Broken Arrow, about 30 min. N. of Muskogee and about 50min. to an hour from Sallisaw.

Sallisaw is only about 20min. from the AR border, and I would be willing to haul them up there for you, provided you'll stop by BEC's (in Russellville, AR) and give him a pair of 1964 khorn xovers to rebuild for me.

Feel free to call me, and discuss. You should have my phone, if not, let me know. Good luck with your tight schedules, I'm in the same boat too. Take care, and let me know if I can help. The Pawn shop is on the way home for me, so it's no big deal to get additional info for you. See Ya!

At work we are going to have to work both days this weekend and the Memorial weekend is not looking good for time off either. We have some tight delivery schedules in the next couple of weeks along with our flight test's, VIP inspections and certification. Oh the fun weget to have!!!!!!!!!!! Gilbert I had your new email address on a post it note but may have misplaced it. If it is not here on the Forum please drop me a line so that we can talk about those decorator's you have. Thanks Bill

Bill,

Got your email. Work is making my life is suck pretty bad right now too. If it gives you any peace, I'll be in the office the next 3 to 5 weekends.

I get to feeling pretty bad, when my little girls call me at the office and ask when I'll make it home. I usually wrestle with them and spin them around like airplanes when I get home, and they're missing that....I'm am too [:(]. But duty calls, and I like my paychecks, sooooo, no crying (at least not in public).

2 others expressed an interest in the decorators, but getting the speakers to them would require shipping, which I don't particularly care to do. It's just too much hassel, and besides, these poor baby's (the decorators) have been through enough hell with FedEx. Sorry guys..... My personal opinion is that they don't need re-veneering, just some TLC and a little wood filler for the 3/4" deep notch that FedEx custom made at the top front leading edge.[8o|] on one of the speakers. There are also some crushed corners (not too bad) that give the appearance that FedEx must have tried dribbling with them. It just pisses me off to now end, they were in pretty good shape, guesstimated about 80%+, until FedEx came along, but now I'd rate them at 6.5 to 7 out of 10.

I paid just over $800 to get them shipped to my doorstep from Saltlake City, UT. Fedex did reimburt me $500 for the damage they caused. That took most of the stinging sensation out of my asss. If you can give my the difference + $100 for delivery to Sallisaw, there yours. I know $100 sounds steep for delivery, but my 3/4 ton 8.1L GMC gobbles the gas, so if I'm luck, I'll get a Micky D's hamburger combo out of this, super sized of course.

my email is duphas@cox.net

my mobile phone is 918-361-6668, or my direct office line is 918-806-7302.

There's no hurry, I've been sitting on them for quite a while. I've contemplated fixing them up, but just don't have the time, or willingness to do it. Should you decide to go for the pair at the pawn shop, that's no problem either. I could care less, and will help you out either way.

Send me some more plane pic's when you get a chance. Shoot, had I known you were in Cabot, AR, I'd a loved to pay you visit and check out those custom planes you guys build. I was up there a few months ago. The company recently designed the new Wal-Mart there. Should be open by now. Anyway, take it easy, and let me know what you want to do. Remeber, no hurry, and call me when you get some breathing time.

Dang, guys, it's a PAWN SHOP! Go in with $400 cash and dollars to donuts, they'll be yours! I have bought so much stuff at pawn shops, and I have never paid more than 75% of the original asking price, and I rarely pay tax. Just say, "hey, I have $400 cash. Can you make that work?" I'll bet almost anything they'll do it. If not, say you'll need to think it over, and besides, you don't have the spare cash on-hand. I'll bet they don't let you leave the shop w/o them. The $100 saved almost covers gas $ to pick them up!

I'm not exactly pawnshop savy, but one fo the guys behind the counter dropped from their $600 asking price to $500 w/o batting an eye, so I know your right about them being willing to let the roll for less. I would bet on that, definitley.

I still watch this forum, been a while since I have been on. I am thinking that I will go take a look at these too. Bill, I don't want to step on you toes though. I would like to add some cornwalls to my collection. I am just not so sure that the finish on these is what I want but I sure can't complain about the price and being local doesn't hurt either.

I still watch this forum, been a while since I have been on. I am thinking that I will go take a look at these too. Bill, I don't want to step on you toes though. I would like to add some cornwalls to my collection. I am just not so sure that the finish on these is what I want but I sure can't complain about the price and being local doesn't hurt either.

They are oiled walnut and look to be in decent shape for $500. I've bought worse CW's for that price. If they work, that's a DEAL. Bill seems to have passed on this pair due to scheduling, and I don't see where he's made any effort to try to lay claim to them. I'd consider them up for grabs and it is a pawn shop, they could be gone tomorrow. Bill also has a very generous offer from Gilbert for his Decorators-

If I lived there they would be in my truck by now.

M

thet would match my heresy's and belles, but wouldnt match my khorns. I sure wish I knew what finish they were ... Long time ago i sent Trey the serial numbers and he said the were built on 4-19-83 , C modles birch raw, sold to Imperial sound, they were 2 of 4 units built that day

, but obviosly something is amiss as they are "B" model (has riser) and a lighter color finish on the veneer than walnut. I am mainly looking for center channel(s) to use between the khorns (heresey surrounds) in ht setup ... I am using the belles in the den on a stereo setup.