Hubby Wants to Setup a Turntable! :(

meagain

I told him "no WAY"!!! Nu uh! I told him we have way to much on our audio plate to sort out to be adding a whole new ballgame. Told him first we have to get the sound ramped up a bit before even thinking about this...

That said... I distinctly remember loving the sound from albums. Always sounded great. He has an HK 700 something and I have a cute little Denon. Probably neither are very good. We tossed most of our records years ago, saving only the 'special' stuff. Picture disks, serious book-like albums with pages in them, cool art, etc.

But still.... I think it's a bad idea and frankly, it would be a PITA in care & feeding. Yet... I distinctly remember listening to Supertramp's 'Crime of the Century' on album and on a whim, picked up a Supertramp compendium on CD at Costco. It sure doesn't sound like I remember it on album even on all this fancypants gear I have (in comparison to back in the day). Maybe it was just a bad CD recording or my hindsight is through rose colored glasses. But I'm sort of curious to revisit it some day. Is that silly? Duke! I need you to shake some sense into me before I get sucked down the path!

Well, there is a lot of poorly recorded vinyl too, but quality vinyl sounds better than quality CD all day long in my book. Once you get your gremlins worked out I think vinyl is without question the next stepping stone for you. My $400 Dual CS-5000/Shure V15V-MR is less than most peoples cartridges on this board, but it still sounds pretty darn good.

BTW, Supertramps Crime of the Century is one of my favorites on vinyl. There are just some groups that care what the finished product sounds like (Steely Dan and Pink Floyd come to mind) and they are one of them.

Mike

I have a spare B&O Beogram 5005 with a MMC-2 cartridge...

It is pretty foolproof and has no adjustments except the tracking force (everything is already built-in engineered to optimise the mechanics and operations). Ask hubby to do a little research on the B&O tables to see of this might fit the bill. The MMC-2 is a superb cartridge. This might be a way to get into vinyl without the complications of 'regular' turntables and all the adjustments for VTA, head alignment, angles of this and that, antiskating geometry, and all the other things involved in matching a cartridge to a turntable, or at least a way to get started with a table that won't hurt your records while seeking the ultimate solution. Does your current gear include a phono EQ?

Pauln

post-16099-1381929793408_thumb.jpg

For about $600 or less you can get a used Denon TT and new Cart. Denon's are very under-appreciated TTs IMO. Granted they are not Clear Audio Champion IIs, but at about 1/6th or less of the price I don't think you can go wrong. If you don't like it you can liquidate it for what you paid.

She already has a couple of turntables.

Lisa, what the heck, hook one up. "HK 700 something" and Denon made great stuff back the days of vinyl. A quick, basic setup is not that hard. Remember, we all fuss and blabber about that last 5% of audio perfection. Tweaking and changing cartridges and isolating etc. You spin the Supertramp on vinyl and you'll be back to those rose colored glasses in no time.

I told him "no WAY"!!! Nu uh! I told him we have way to much on our audio plate to sort out to be adding a whole new ballgame. Told him first we have to get the sound ramped up a bit before even thinking about this...

That said... I distinctly remember loving the sound from albums. Always sounded great. He has an HK 700 something and I have a cute little Denon. Probably neither are very good. We tossed most of our records years ago, saving only the 'special' stuff. Picture disks, serious book-like albums with pages in them, cool art, etc.

But still.... I think it's a bad idea and frankly, it would be a PITA in care & feeding. Yet... I distinctly remember listening to Supertramp's 'Crime of the Century' on album and on a whim, picked up a Supertramp compendium on CD at Costco. It sure doesn't sound like I remember it on album even on all this fancypants gear I have (in comparison to back in the day). Maybe it was just a bad CD recording or my hindsight is through rose colored glasses. But I'm sort of curious to revisit it some day. Is that silly? Duke! I need you to shake some sense into me before I get sucked down the path!

You know, I didn't realize you two were in the Chicagoland area. Could you do me a favor and post in your Bio section what kind of gear you all are running. One thing that I have noticed on the forum are new friendships being made......because of what? Speakers and other audio gear. It just cracks me up, but it's cool.

It's cool to hear another man and women are into audio together. I set up all my equipment at my girlfriends house and she loves it! God I love my girl!

Anyway, just cool to hear.