Bose Wave Cannon

CAS

lol - I'm dying laughing reading some of these posts...

For what it's worth, I have had extensive experience with the 301's,

601's, 802's, and 901's and can confidently attest that they all sound

like crap (heck, even done direct comparisons against the live source).

Anyone that claims otherwise loses all credibility in my book (and I'm

sure I lose credibility in their's). If you like how they sound, then

great - knock yourself out. Ignorance is bliss and I would do anything

to undo all my ear training to go back and be completely oblivious so I

could just enjoy the music. (And the sad part is I don't claim to be a

golden ear either...).

Some other comments:

paper is one of the best materials for use in a speaker driver. Klipsch

also does extensive research in alternative materials (ala

reference, synergy, KLF, etc etc...). I think every series has a new

material of some kind.

I'm a poor college kid raised in middle class family. I think if one

were to run the demographics it would become apparent that most of the

klipsch target audience falls into the middle class - certainly not

rich snobs. One will also find that there is a rather large percentage

of musicians as well.

One of the reasons for the bitterness towards Bose stems from the

patent wars back in the 70's? I forget the actual time period, but Bose

went about getting patents on things that were pretty much industry

standard approaches. The most classic example is the whole "reflecting"

thing they brag all the time about. So in the end a lot of the industry

was hurt by all the suing and crap that followed shortly thereafter.

Heck, there was once a time when competing companies shared research

and helped each other out. Anyways, I'm only a second hand source so I

would encourage seeking out older audio engineers and hearing about it

first hand.

And just some things to put my opinions in perspective:

I don't think Klipsch is the end all be all in loudspeakers.

I would love to be an engineer working for Bose. Sure, I think all

their products sound awful, but they do some really cool engineering

and deal a lot with psychoacoustics which I find a most fascinating

subject. They are essentially trying to break the laws of physics and

for 90% of the target audience (aka all the deaf people) they are able

to give the impression that they do. But it's very basic math...all the

Bose products are destined to suck - there's no way around it.

I wanted to comment on the "Bass Cannon" and mention how little output

and bandwith one gets for such a large expensive system. For the same

money you could go 1/3 the size and get well over 130dB of output - and

use a smaller amp in the process.

I also wanted to comment about horns/waveguides and mention that they

are merely mechanical impedance matchers, of which the theory is now

very well understood (especially with the acoustics of biomedical

imaging equipment which is a much more complex environment). In the

past the math wasn't there to optomize the systems and thus the systems

didn't get optomized - resulting in a bad reputation for horns. In

other words, anyone that bashes the approach of taking into account

varying acoustical impedances is sorely misled.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm willing to learn what "colotaion" is, whenever you can explain it.

Never too old to learn. [;)]

And you are?!?!....

What, you think you're that funny that you had to repeat yourself?

Looks to me like you're doing nothing but trying to start more trouble.

Mr. Tidwell, et al.

I chose to address both folks who used the term "colotaion" in an effort to expand my knowledge base, as I am not familiar with it. Perhaps I could have combined both quotes in one message. I thought of that AFTER I had posted. Sorry about that oversight.....

Since you provided no answer, and you were not one of the persons who posted the word, might I ask why you are injecting youself into the conversation in such a confrontational manner? I certainly hope it wasn't meant as a personal attack.

I have been asked to define terms, I have used, by other posters. One person asked me about free air resonance, in another thread. I provided both context and a link to help explain the concept. When the same person asked what "YMMV" meant, perhaps they were being sarchastic? Perhaps not. Rather than be negative, I chose to be positive.

At some point ANY term is new to EVERYONE. So I answer all queries in a respectful manner. I think that is the right thing to do. Even if the questioner might not ultimately benefit from the answer, someone else, who did not know what the terms meant, might learn from the archived thread.

So, you see, there is no need for this thread to turn into another "Censcala project underway... " personality blowup.

Perhaps you were just joking around with your comments? It can sometimes be tough to read humorous context into a person's typed words. I will give you the benefit of the doubt. To do otherwise would not make this forum a better place.

Now, if you know what "colotaion" means, please comment. Otherwise......

You have a nice day. [ip]

I'm willing to learn what "colotaion" is, whenever you can explain it.

Never too old to learn. [;)]

And you are?!?!....

What, you think you're that funny that you had to repeat yourself?

Looks to me like you're doing nothing but trying to start more trouble.

Mr. Tidwell, et al.

I chose to address both folks who used the term "colotaion" in an effort to expand my knowledge base, as I am not familiar with it. Perhaps I could have combined both quotes in one message. I thought of that AFTER I had posted. Sorry about that oversight.....

Isn't it quite obvious that it was a typo being that "R" and "T" are right along side eachother on the keyboard, that there is no such word as "colotaion" and TheEAR meant "coloration"?

And isn't it also obvious that the other guy just did a "cut-n-paste" from that post?

It's quite obvious to me.

BTW, don't try to lecture me.

Whao Nelly, those are some pretty sweet cannons though, you could probably send a mellon, like the size of a Cantaloupe, at least 1500 feet with the right amount of gun powder. You could easly hits the college Dean's house from the Frat's roof no problem. To heck with secret probation, double secret probation, my big fat butt. Who's with me? I tell no Hertiage products could shoot a mellon that far. Come on guys lets get Dean Wormer.

This is not a personal attack on anyone, so just BACK OFF Chops & Clarence!

This is my personal opinion, which is mine. Please let me share it without bad-mouthing me, k?

Bose Sticks on Google didin't bring up much tech data. Like none. Same as most of their systems. What are they hiding? Why does marketing refuse to publish data? I dunno.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_STATIC_PAGE_EVENT&url=/musicians/new_approach.jsp

for a good laugh read mumbo jumbo marketing hype and eye/ear disconnect yadda yadda. This is PRO PA gear and they won't give specs? WHat up wit dat?

I recall working for PA company in the 80's. For an excercise we were given specs on one Crown DC300A and LaScala. Compute max db spl. Then how many Bose pro 901 cabinets would it take to cover the same loudness level? I don't think our truck was big enough to hold them all and you sure couldn't afford all the amps it would take.

points for neat-o principles, minus several hundred for inefficiency. Same with these stick gimmicks.

Maybe some of the lifestyle stuff appeals to the masses, but for those who have sought out test results and specs (carefully hidden features these specs), most Bose systems fall far short of 'hi-fidelity'.

If you or someone you know loves their Bose boxes, fine. But most of us here on the Klipsch Forum like our efficient big boxes. That's why we're here. Klispch makes efficient, big boxes.

Everyone can buy whatever they wish and express their opinions, it is America after all. Now I dare you to not attack me personally.

Michael

New leaf Clarence, remember? [:D]

The way I hears it, the entire Bose speaker range are made from small puppies put togther by child labor in Guatemala. I don't care how they sound but I am not going to support dead puppy dogs and child slavery.

Umm.... What in the world are you talking about, man?! Most of Bose is manufactured in Mexico, not Guatemala.

Sounds like someone has gotten ahold of some bad ditch-weed. You know, ganja... monn.

But let the record show that neither Clarence or Chops tried to attack my previous post.

Thanks for civility guys. It's a kinder, gentler Forum, innit? [;)]

M

Clarence's contribution to this thread seemed most cogent and well-presented.

To paraphrase Meatloaf, "One out of two ain't bad."

I would bet that if the Bose marketing crew did not claim they were the best thing since sliced bread there would be no bashing . Anyone seen the Bose 3-2-1 commercial ? It's message is to forget about everything else "This Is It !" A company so bold as that deserves to be bashed ! Especially since they are wrong !

I would also bet that alot of the folks sold on their products also have Geiko insurance , because let's face it they do have the best commercials ! "The squirrels are my favorite !" I prefer Klipsch speakers because they are the best that I can afford , and USAA insurance because it is the best insurance company !

"Those cannons do look cool though"

Just jumping in to see if everyone is having a good weekend so far. [:D]

You tell us...

So far no bloodshed that I can see. We're awaiting the full reports from our reporters in Milwaukee however. I wonder if DrWho bludgeoned them to death with his Cell Dwellar played through Malotkey's dualing subs!

Michael

Just stopped by to take a break and see whats new. My office chair is the second most comfortable chair in the house.

The denmother is here guy's !

Went out to with a friend that owns an audi and went with him on his audi meet. Nice guys, lots of pictures, some spirited safe driving.

www.dvagonline.com

this was april 23? meet

http://www.dvagonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=547

my friend posted up the pictures for me. My pictures are posted by forum name 03 hemi to 06 a4

today we drove around the palisades near the George Washington Bridge but started from Liberty State Park which is right next to the Statue of Liberty