Bose Wave Cannon

CAS

Hey, I understand that it's not cool to bash other brands, and I would never consider doing so.

If a brand wasnt a fraud, or if they at least barely produced a

respected product for which the HIFI community gave respect.....(unlike most of Bose or

white van sellers), I would never do such a thing.

Sure........... there are probably Bose exceptions to the rule(901s, maybe), but

most of the Bose 5.1 HT garbage selling in stores today is total dog-crap.

Geezz...... My own father spend about $2-3k on a piece of sh!t 5.1 Bose

system that makes me vomit in my mouth a little bit every time I visit

from out of state.

I guess that's one of the drawbacks of living nearly 1,000 miles apart...sheesh.

We dont get to discuss hifi purchases.(low-fi in his case)

Had I been around, I could have built a system for him for the same

money that would have put that sh!t system he owns to shame. It wouldnt

even be close.

You have never, or will ever.......hear me talk down about any brand

except for the "White Van" guys.... or others that fit within the same category.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've owned 901's (phase IV's and VI's). I now listen to RF-7's and have no plans to go back to Bose products. I'm not a Bose basher, but I obviously enjoy the Klipsch sound more. The problem that I have with Bose (and Monster) is their company philosophy of sound reproduction. It seems they both put their efforts into marketing first and R&D second. P.T. Barnum would be proud.

Pipes have a nasty habit. They not only resonate on a frequency with a wavelength four times the length of the column, but also on the odd harmonics of this frequency. the characteristics are sketched in fig 1-a.At frequencies of which the colmumnlength equals half the wavelength or a multitude of that, the reflection at the open end of the pipe is in anti-fase, causing an acoustic shortcircuit, resulting in an almost nihil radiation.

post-16352-13819298106066_thumb.gif

Perhaps some people would be more at home on the Bose Forum. Feel free if that's your cup of tea.

I support Klipsch products and engineering.

Michael

And some should join the Ringling Bros and Barnum & Bailey Circus forum, but who's complaining?

The point is, I have heard plenty of Bose models over the years and know what they are capable and not capable of, and they are not anywhere near as bad as you all claim they are. Heck, some of you probably never heard any Bose speakers, but just feel like jumping on the band wagon to fit in with everyone else.

Has Bose hurt you personally in some way? Did Bose do you wrong in some way? If you answered "no" to these questions, then you have no reason to bash Bose.

Eveyone makes models that someone, somewhere is going to hate with a passion. It's the way of life.

Personally, I wouldn't give you 2 cents for anything Klipsch offers BUT the heritage line, which I feel is the ONLY real Klipsch speakers left. Whether the new models sound good or not, they just look cheap. When I think Klipsch, I think real wood, large woofers, a midrange horn and classic styling. Do I bash Klipsch because of their new designs? No.

But anyway, I'm not going to get into these little gay arguments with you guys because it's like beating a dead horse.

And yes, I know. I am now the @$$ on this forum because I'm defending Bose. Oh well.

Chops, your not a jerk for defending Bose. I think everyone ever born, likes low fi products of some type. We all like a small radio sound for some things. Some have small office radios at work. This is where Bose excels. In the small end of the market with low fi products. It is very (VERY) profitable for them, and they make millions satisfying that market. Klipsch satidfies an audiophile group that likes music, that has a more "you are there" at the performance sound. It is also higher dollar. Klipsch satisfies that market. Each has their own market. Low fi and hi fi both need to be met. Not good or bad, just different!

Personally, I wouldn't give you 2 cents for anything Klipsch offers BUT the heritage line, which I feel is the ONLY real Klipsch speakers left. Whether the new models sound good or not, they just look cheap. When I think Klipsch, I think real wood, large woofers, a midrange horn and classic styling. Do I bash Klipsch because of their new designs? No.

My rf-83 are real wood veneer and so are your cornwalls. I have three 8 inch woofers yes I had to second think them due to the rf-7 having dual 10 inch woofers but just like in cars today, those little turbo charged inline 4 the japanese car companies are making have just as much torque and horsepower as those 8 cylinder american car companies are making.

Yeah the midrange is not there so what, a proper two way is not inferior to a three way. Heck a poorl crossed three way and most three ways to me sound weird as I can hear each cone do their own work instead of blending smoothly though that is not the case of the heritage. What to you chops is classic styling? I mean yeah mine are not so wide as they are deep but I like how my rf-83 look and there is nothing wrong with my look as they are the cornwalls.

Chops, your not a jerk for defending Bose. I think everyone ever born, likes low fi products of some type......

I swear, you people are just as rediculous, shallow, and completely ignorant as every other idiot on these so-called audio forums. Just like all of the other forums, everybody has to jump on the moron bandwagon express. Hey, someone's talking about Bose, lets go make fun of them and bash the company... But most of this is coming from rich, eragant idiots that would rather spend thousands of dollars on highly overpriced, large, resonating, non-braced cabinets containing a large PAPER driver and a couple of horns. Big f%$#ing deal! But Bose is over priced??? PPLLEEAASSEE.... And yes, I CAN comment because my brother is using a pair on old Cornwalls. They're certainly nothing spectacular to say the least and certainly nowhere worth the asking price. I've owned a couple of Klipsch models myself but later sold them. I was never too thrilled about the "in your face" horn sound, but never had a reason to join some forum just to say Klipsch sucks and are way over priced. At least, not until now. Chops is the only one hear with any brains. I personally own a pair of Bose 301 series IV, 201 series IV and will be soon receiving a nice pair of 601 series II's. And if the 601's sound anywhere as open, non colored, and realistic as my 301's, then I'm going to be in for a real treat. And you people call yourselves audiophiles.. Give me a break. Gee, I didn't know that megaphones and P.A. speakers could be classified in that catagory. You never see them in Stereophile magazine??? HHHMMM, I wonder why.... I guess the "even richer" snobs would be up in arms about comparing horn speakers to their $50,000 wastes of money. But, what would I know? I like lo-fi Bose... Unbelievable.

I was never too thrilled about the "in your face" horn sound, but never had a reason to join some forum just to say Klipsch sucks and are way over priced. At least, not until now.

Chops is the only one hear with any brains.

But, what would I know? I like lo-fi Bose... Unbelievable.

You've said it all. Thank you, Putz. Goodbye. Don't let the door, etc.... [N]

"And on Blose-bashing, I also never understood the reason why so many go out of their way to do so. Bose is obviously doing something right to still be in business after all these years. So what if they're unorthodox in their design...if they sound great for what they are, and the average consumer likes their easy plug 'n' play installation process, then fine...let them be! If you don't like their direct-reflecting sound, then don't listen to them. If you don't like their so-called cheap construction and paper cones, then don't buy them! There's no need to be poking fun at those who do...just leave them alone and go enjoy your horns."

I also side with Puz, chops, and others regarding this matter...this entire arguement is totally ridiculous and uncalled for! There is absolutely no reason to belittle another's choice just because it doesn't jive with your own opinions.

A business does not stay in business for long if it's found guilty of committing fraudulent business practices and all its products are crap (your words, not mine). The 901s for example have been in continuous production since the late '60s virtually unchanged (like the Klipschorns), with plenty of satisfied customers. Are there those who dislike their sound qualities and design? Sure...no audio business can please everyone because everyone's ears are different and no one hears exactly the same. If we all did, we'd all own the same exact audio equipment!

This arguement about Bose being low-fi is the dumbest thing I've heard yet. Why on earth would a loudspeaker manufacturer research, design, and build their products to sound like a '50s Zenith clock radio? They don't, and neither does any other loudspeaker firm anywhere in the world that I know of for that matter. Bose uses an unorthodox approach to their R&D, that is true. But so what! If they have to design an EQ circuit to compensate for their small drivers to sound fuller or larger, then so be it. Their technology works, and works well, and it pleases the ears of its owners; even Buckeye's own father is happy with his purchase, despite what Buckeye thinks (with its so-called frequency holes and all). If his dad liked the sound of Klipsch, B&W, NHT, Polk Audio, or JBL better, he would've bought them instead. Not everyone likes the honkiness, forwardness, and coloration of Klipsch horn-loaded loudspeakers, yet here we are enjoying our Klipsch products (if I had a bigger room for my dad's Cornwalls, I'd still be using them instead of the excellent French-made Triangles I'm using now. When finances allow, I may buy a pair of Heresys or RB-75s someday).

Just because they don't list all their specs is no reason to call Bose frauds, like they have something to hide. They have their reasons for what they do and how they go about conducting their business...if it bothers you so much, contact Bose directly and ask them yourselves! Of course Bose will boast how their Waveguide, Acoustimass, and Direct-Reflecting technologies operate and how they sound superior to conventional designs...what audio manufacturer doesn't brag (and exaggerate) about their own design philosophies being the best in the industry? Klipsch is no different from Bose, Avantgarde, Wilson Audio, B&W, Tannoy, Focal-JMlab, et al...and that's a fact! It's also a fact that a little Acoustimass system won't play up to live concert levels but sounds convincing in the average home's living room at normal listening levels (I think most "audiophiles" assume Bose is claiming the Acoustimass systems can replace their conventional stacks of gear and large loudspeakers that are capable of well over 100dB levels...instead, that's where the Direct-Reflecting Bose loudspeakers come into play that are able to play much louder, and they're every bit hi-fi in sound).

By the way, I have heard an Acoustimass system in a local record shop here in town that uses several pairs up in the ceiling (with their bass modules also in the corners of the ceiling), and though I've never heard it played to near-live concert levels, these Acoustimass speakers do sound convincingly clean, clear, and dynamic playing the latest pop and rock hits! I find no fault with this technology at all, and it does sound surprisingly good for what it is, even at above normal levels. If you want to fill a large auditorium or church with clean sound, the Bose line of professional sound systems will do that in spades! FYI, did any of you know that the Vatican in Rome has used Bose pro systems in St. Peters Basilica cathedral and churchyard, and in St. Johns Basilica for years, and just recently installed a pro system in the historic Sistine Chapel? Just like Klipsch meets the needs of theatres, clubs, halls, restaurants, and other businesses, so too does Bose!

And if Bose sucked so much, then why do you find their automotive systems installed OEM in such brands as Maybach, Porsche, Audi, Ferrari, Infiniti, Mercedes-Benz, Lancia, Acura, Maserati, Hummer, Alfa-Romeo, along with Cadillac, Chevrolet, and Buick, et al? Look it up, and then tell me why these auto manufacturers don't know squat about car audio...

I work at Guitar Center, and the hottest new personalized amplification system for musicians is from your favorite manufacturer...no, not JBL Pro, not Yamaha, not Mackie, but from Bose! Their latest L1/PS1/B1 package is a true innovation of design, and I've heard them countless times in demonstrations in our store. They sell like hotcakes and we can barely keep them in stock. They also work as described; musicians can better hear themselves onstage, and the system takes up less space than normal PA amps and processors, huge monitors and subs, mixing consoles, and miles of cables. Need more sound? Just link multiple systems together. Read their website and see what pro musicians all over the world are saying about this new system! Still crap?

One of my younger brothers has owned a pair of Bose 301 Series II loudspeakers since he bought 'em new in '84...they've performed flawlessly in his TOTL Sansui power amp/preamp/tuner stereo system he also bought the same time while stationed in Okinawa. Several years ago he upgraded to a top-notch Sherwood Newcastle HT system (also seperate amp/pre-processor) and new Polk Audio RTi8(?) towers (he wanted to try something new...nothing wrong with that). He still loves the sound of his mint 301s and doesn't have the heart to sell 'em, so they're now used as his rear surrounds. Brand loyalty also applies to Bose, even if they're not always used as the mains. Just as I'm happy with my Triangle Zephyr towers (couldn't pass up an excellent deal...free), I'm still and always will be loyal to Klipsch, and will own another pair someday when finances allow. I still thoroughly enjoy my li'l ProMedia 2.1s!

We're all entitled to like and dislike certain loudspeakers, no matter what brand they are. We all have our opinions on what sounds best to our ears, and all the forum members here who dislike the sound of Bose systems are more than welcome to enjoy their Klipsch even more! But when it comes to poking fun at Bose and its customers and bashing the products at every available opportunity just because you think you know the facts, well...to me it just shows how ignorant you really are. You don't like how Bose describes their technology or how they boast about their innovated R&D? Then don't read their literature! That's fine if you want to stay ill-informed and misguided...that's your choice. But IMHO there is absolutely no reason on earth to bash Bose, its custmers, and its products, just because you don't like them. Get a life and move on...there's so much better things to do with your time (like enjoy the sound of your Klipsch loudspeakers) than to make fun of things to which you do not understand!

Think about that while Bose continues to make quality products they back up completely with excellent customer service, and like Klipsch and others continue to rake in millions each year. Whether you like it or not, Bose is doing something right, and they have nothing to be ashamed of...except for not bashing ignorant fools like yourselves!

Now people lets ask Dr Bose for forgivness and walk the starirs to his office on our knees.

B0$e fills a segment of the market Klipsch does not and that is that.And besides who cares what some people buy,its their damn choice and their money NOT YOURS.

If I wanted a B0$e I would get a B0$e.Who knows maybe I own all B0$e and pretend to have Dynaudio and Klipsch. [;)]

And you have to remember many people are not audiophiles and do not give a damn about colotaion,distortion and lack of realism.To each his/her own road.

My father has a Bose system. It is only used for AM/FM and TV duty. He is rather low tech. (321?) Last time I was at his house, I had just got my Sirius Sportster, and I left it in the car in the driveway. We were playing pool, and listening to the radio on his kitchen flip down cabinet deal. being an small town, there are very limited choices for radio. I was disgusted by what we were listening to. I said "hey dad, lets tune your clock/cd/tv kitchen migilicudy to my sirius station and listen to Classic Rewind.." He went over to tune it in, and it sounded like chit.

He walks over to his Bose system, hits seek, and it dropped right into the Sirius brodcast. No antenna. I said to him "wow that sounds great, clear and strong..." and he says "yeah, its BOSE!!!"

My first thought: Flame my dad that bose is not real hi-fi and that Klipsch rules.

My second thought: Give him his moment, and geeze, it does sound good!

Moral. Participating on forums like this you can almost guarunte to have your thoughts and opinions tainted by others repetitive opinions, good or bad. The bigger person is the one that formulates their own opinion based on experience. I am not a bose flamer, and never will be. It is perfect for my father, and I'm sure many other fathers who could care less about HI-FI!

(by the way he is going to help me build my tube amp... I'll make an Audiophile outta him yet!!) [;)]

C

And you have to remember many people are not audiophiles and do not give a damn about colotaion,distortion and lack of realism.

There's that word again.. audiophile. I believe the definition for the word is: rich idiot with too much money and time on his or her hands. Whatever.

Of course Bose will boast how their Waveguide, Acoustimass, and Direct-Reflecting technologies operate and how they sound superior to conventional designs...what audio manufacturer doesn't brag (and exaggerate) about their own design philosophies being the best in the industry?

I had the opportunity to take advantage of the "Reflecting" part of that equation, a few years back. I had a cocktail party in an outdoor courtyard of a hotel. I wanted to provide a nice level of background music, without overpowering the crowd. I laid my EAW FR-253's on their backs, behind shrubbery, aimed upwards to the sky. The result was perfect as the 15-story walls surrounding the courtyard provided a reflective surface and a little natural reverb.

Thank you, Dr. Bose.

I'm willing to learn what "colotaion" is, whenever you can explain it.

Never too old to learn. [;)]

And you are?!?!....

What, you think you're that funny that you had to repeat yourself?

Looks to me like you're doing nothing but trying to start more trouble.

This is not a personal attack on anyone, so just BACK OFF Chops & Clarence!

This is my personal opinion, which is mine. Please let me share it without bad-mouthing me, k?

Bose Sticks on Google didin't bring up much tech data. Like none. Same as most of their systems. What are they hiding? Why does marketing refuse to publish data? I dunno.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_STATIC_PAGE_EVENT&url=/musicians/new_approach.jsp

for a good laugh read mumbo jumbo marketing hype and eye/ear disconnect yadda yadda. This is PRO PA gear and they won't give specs? WHat up wit dat?

I recall working for PA company in the 80's. For an excercise we were given specs on one Crown DC300A and LaScala. Compute max db spl. Then how many Bose pro 901 cabinets would it take to cover the same loudness level? I don't think our truck was big enough to hold them all and you sure couldn't afford all the amps it would take.

points for neat-o principles, minus several hundred for inefficiency. Same with these stick gimmicks.

Maybe some of the lifestyle stuff appeals to the masses, but for those who have sought out test results and specs (carefully hidden features these specs), most Bose systems fall far short of 'hi-fidelity'.

If you or someone you know loves their Bose boxes, fine. But most of us here on the Klipsch Forum like our efficient big boxes. That's why we're here. Klispch makes efficient, big boxes.

Everyone can buy whatever they wish and express their opinions, it is America after all. Now I dare you to not attack me personally.

Michael