Seems High Maybe Not!

I think it's a little high, but then again I haven't heard it.

I only say that because it doesn't mention NOSValves anywhere in the ad, and most of us would be sending it off to Craig for an additional charge. I just sold my 299 for $400, and it had originally been rebuilt by Craig, plus I just sent it back to him to give it the once over before the completion of the sale. I also installed 3 new Electrolytics in it.

Mike

The

world is larger than our little tide pool here on Klipsch. There are many

qualified tube techs in the world and just because the add doesnt mention THIS

boards resident tech is not an indication that anything is lacking. If the

seller can backup the statement that it has been serviced with paperwork, then

the work has been done and there is no need to send it to Craig. Though I have

never had any personal work done for me by Craig, his reputation is good here

and I have nothing against him, I am only saying that there are others that may

be just as good or better in the world at large.[;)]

I never trust the "qualified tech" line. If it was serviced by a qualified tech, they should be able to produce a receipt. Otherwise, they probably ran it over to some Ham radio dude who opened it up, dusted it off and checked a few tubes before giving it his "thumbs up".

The world is larger than our little tide pool here on Klipsch. There are many qualified tube techs in the world and just because the add doesnt mention THIS boards resident tech is not an indication that anything is lacking. If the seller can backup the statement that it has been serviced with paperwork, then the work has been done and there is no need to send it to Craig. Though I have never had any personal work done for me by Craig, his reputation is good here and I have nothing against him, I am only saying that there are others that may be just as good or better in the world at large.[;)]

I am certainly aware of that, but like I also said I haven't heard it, so I can't comment on this particular unit.

However, I would venture to say that not too many people have worked on these units as often as Craig has. He knows them inside and out (as others do as well), and it's the core of his business. He goes over them with a fine tooth comb, and when you get it back it's dead quiet with everything functioning as it should.

When I sent mine off to him (found it thru the local paper for $75) it was a mess. It fired up, but had a ton of issues. He did his magic on it, and it turned me into the tube lover I am today.

Personally, I think you're better off buying one cheap and just sending it off to him. But ymmv.

Mike

Not to take anything away from Craig but here in SoCal there are a couple of places that only do tube audio and they have a 6 month to a year backlog on their work so I would think that it would be possible that when you get something back from them, it would be dead quiet and singing it's heart out also. YMMV[;)]

Wayne, Craig has a few tricks up his sleeve which extend the frequency response of those old Scotts. When they were built originally, turntable rumble at audio frequencies were prevelant and HF sources were limited. Scott built these amps to address those limitations. Craig's rebuilds address those short comings somewhat without radical changes to the original circuit.

I must add that Craig has never worked on any of my amps, but did provide parts and some of his hard learned by experimentation expertise to me.

Rick