System Evolution - where did you come from? Where are you headed?

naimnut

Greetings Folks. I'm brand new on this board, having just discovered it and thinking back to the times that I heard Klipsch speakers back in the 1970s. I am very curious to hear about your systems and sonic priorities, because I've been a long-time music lover but, for sixteen years or more, I've been in the Linn LP12/Naim camp, though my speakers deviate from the typical box type most Naimies use, being Apogee Centaurus minor ribbon/conventional hybrids. I have long enjoyed the sound of my system, even though I know it is full of compromises, but discovering this forum, and learning that there are horn listeners in St. Louis has really awakened my curiousity. For years I've posted on two brit-hi-hi boards-- the Naim audio forum and also on the Pink Fish Media audio forum. Both of these places tend to be pretty solidly in the british camp.

But for years and years I've wanted to hear for myself the sound of tubes (especially triodes) and horns. I've just never had the chance! Hi-fi seems to be one of those hobbies where people can have an epiphany and suddenly hear equipment which completely transforms their musical and listening point of view. For so long I've heard about fanatics using horns and tubes and wondered how it would compare to the sound I'm familiar with.

I'm considering upgrading my lowly naim preamp (72) but this would cost about $1k at least, and more like about $2k. Which really shifts the realm of possibilities. For example, I could liquidate my naim equipment, buy some horns and triods, and very possibly end up with a more transparent and beguiling sound, plus have some cash left over.

It is typical that those who post on boards like this are enthusiastic about their marque and approach. So I clearly expect to hear encouragement to give horns and triodes a try, but I'm actually looking for a little more insight. It is one thing to hear someone say "I bought a bigger/better amp and it sounds fantastic"--it is something else entirely to hear someone say "I thought I was happy with my system with X, Y & Z (like naim) but when I heard A, B & C I went out and sold all my gear and bought new stuff".

Here's what I like about my current system:

1. solid state, trouble free listening. I previously was using a dynaco st70 which developed some kind of problem and I just finally threw in the towel. This was helped by finding a pair of mono naim amps at the then unheard-of price of about $2400 (replacement cost around $6500). The system now has some guts, plays loud but has finesse, too.

2. the subtlety of the apogee ribbon tweeters. Much of the transparency of quads, but melded with a conventional woofer. While these speakers punch above their weight, cost-wise, I know they have many compromises.

Here is what I recall about the Klipsch speakers I heard back in the early 70's--they played REALLY loud without strain and I think I would enjoy cranking up some hendrix occasionally. They also seemed to possess a tremendous sense of scale and a huge, room-filling sound.

I realize no one cranks their system up all the time, but sometimes its fun, right?

So, if anyone would like to share their personal hi-fi journey, what they've been through, why they made the changes they made, how their equipment compares with other gear they may have dabbled with, then I would love to read it.

I also recognize the possibly the first thing I should do is put a lingo power supply on my LP12 and get a new arm, but, that would be several thousand $ and I just don't think the finance committee would go for it.

So, looking forward to reading your thoughts,

Markus

early 70's - all tube system, amp, tuner, preamp, large console cab which looked like a fireplace...had a bar on the left side, equipment on the right, electric fireplace on the bottm.

late 70's - went to a SS reciever, high end phono, 7 inch reels

80's - all seperate componet solid state, did some quad

90's - surround sound time, back to high end reciver, solid state

2000 era - ditigal source, digital media, computers and meda recorders come on the scene

2010 - probally go back to tubes.

I realize no one cranks their system up all the time, but sometimes its fun, right?

So, if anyone would like to share their personal hi-fi journey.

I think I ruptured an eyeball with all that reading., But if loud is your pleasure, you could take lessons from smilin....., look towards the great lakes direction and watch for the smoke plume, that'll be steve listening to his system.

I went from Quad 57s to Klipsch Cornwalls in about 1982. I kept the Quads for several years but when I moved into my current home in 1988 I sold them.

I've been using McIntosh MC-30's since about 1985--before that I had a whole gaggle of vintage tube gear--everything from Marantz 9s to a Sansui AU-70. I have been using a McIntosh C22 (I'm on my fourth one--I used to buy them whenever I came across a great deal) for about 20 years.

I went from a Linn LP12 to a Thorens TD124 in about 1990. Started with the Orotofon SPU about a year later.

Bought A BAT VK-D5 CD player in about 2000. Before that I had (and still use in a second system) one of the original AH! modded Marantz players and that one replaced the first CD player I ever bought, A Kyocera from about 1993 or so.

I have no plans to change out any of my gear any time soon.

I grew up listening to my dad's Bose 4.2 bookshelf speakers.

The first upgrade involved a free pair of marantz 940's that I pulled out of the trash and repaired.

After that I got a great deal on some Chorus II's and I think I will

keep them for the rest of my life. I've heard most all of the klipsch

lineup and the C2's are probably my favorite (though I'm probably

biased). [;)]

As far as the future I have just started an audio company that

specializes in custom built everything, which of course includes

speakers. Most of the designs are inspired greatly by the klipsch

approach...just taking it to the Nth degree. I am hoping to finish my

first prototype by the end of this summer so I can imagine that is

where my listening tastes are going to take me in the future as well

(afterall it'd be silly selling a product I didn't believe in).

Anyways, welcome to the forum. I would highly encourage giving horns a

shot - even with good SS amplification (which I happen to

prefer over tubes in general). If you get the chance I would check out

some of the Aragon stuff as it's by far the best sounding amplification

I've ever heard. And before you go upgrading preamps and

amplifiers etc etc I would first consider acoustical treatment if you

have not already done so. The room is responsible for over 50% of the

sound so it's important to get that part correct first.

Nothing that fancy with me.

Started with the RCA tube console in the living room.

That got replaced by some cheap crap with BSR changer in the early 70s.

Ripped up the RCA console and boxed it so it would fit in my room.

Then nice neighboor gave me his Heatkit w5m, Lenco L70, with a big Goodmans speaker, 12" with woofer.

Then in maybe 1977 got a Pioneer SA7500II, Dual 510, Shure M95. Do not recall what speakers I used, All I remember I could not afford all at once. Any Montrealers remember ETCO electronics, I think on McGill College below Dorchester (before it was changed to Rene Levesques)

Had my first fantasies with LaScalas at our high school dances.

Gave the Heathkit and Lenco to a friend, Tore up the Goodmans to see how speakers where made. I may still have the magnet in my toolbox!.

Maybe 1978, got a pair of Large Advents. Got them at the Audio Shop downtown. Boy they sounded great running of the big MacIntosh.

sometime in 1984 purchased my first CD player. A hitachi. Still works. It is in our bedroom. 3 year old son seems to not abuse it too much.

Mid 90's got maried, had kids, moved, stored stereo in basement. Friends mom gave back the heathkit and Lenco.

2003 Got a set of nicely finished Heresys used in Montreal, another set on ebay. Pair of Lascalas from Dodger (thanks Rob for introducing me to Win) in Rochester. HK HT receiver on Ebay. This was for new big HT room. Also got a second Heathkit on ebay in Albany.

last summer I put the Advents (and a second pair from ebay) in the home gym with some not well known brand (ICC?) of power amp.

A month ago: Realizing that HT room is still way off, I dusted off the Dual, put in living room with an older Pioneer amp found in garage sale driving the nice Heresys. Rack cost 5$ in Garage sale. Took out the old LPs, got more at, yes you guessed it: at Garage sales.

Next project will be restoring the 2 Heathkits. The one I got from neighbour still works. The one I got on ebay needed a new powertransforme, got that on ebay, but have not fixed it yet. Have no clue if rest of amp works. Should be working on it this summer. Then I will see if I can get the Lenco running . I did clean it up, and seems fine except for the Idler. It is rock hard. Need to find a replacement.

Looking for a decent CD player and perhpaps a better cartridge for the Dual. I cannot believe that the Lenco will be any better, despite all the nostalgia about the old gear.

1976- B&O Beogram 1900 with MMC4000, Yamaha CR600, Heresy - Good college system, two roommates bought Heresy as a result.

1985 - B&O Beogram 1900 with MMC4000, Yamaha CR600 (phono EQ and preamp only), Carver M500t, Heresy - the big solid state taught me what the Heresy could do, pretty good sound for SS.

2000 - B&O Beogram 1900 with MMC4000, Wright preamp and 2A3 SETs, Heresy - locked in to tubes forever, anticipating the beauty of big horns.

2005 - B&O Beogram 1900 with MMC6000, Wright preamp and 2A3 SETs, New 2005 LaScala (original style) - I'm done!

Today - I'm still done!

I've got a set of Apogee Centaurs. They are really nice sounding speakers. I think the Apogees are where I would be if good horns didn't exist. Sadly, the movers tore one of the ribbons during my last move. It's been almost two years now and I still haven't repaired them. I guess I would've done that a long time ago if I didn't have Khorns. Can you tell which ones are in my main system? [;)]

Lisnin' to Dad's Sherwood Monaural S-1000 and EICO HFT-92 through a single (albeit BIG Utah homemade speaker) and hearing stories about Klipschorns and John Phillip Sousa...1961-1979

Mom and Dad's Zenith "all in one" AM-FM-Record Player with different round cabineted speakers...1979 college (start)

Technics SL-D2 Turntable and Audio Technica Cartridge, Yamaha CA-610II, BOSE 301s and the EICO Tuner...1980

Bang and Olufsen RX-2 Turntable and Ortofon Cartridge, Nakamichi TA/2A, CR-1A Tape Deck, Yamaha CDP and Yamaha AM-FM Tuner Klipsch kg2s...1988

This place to get advice on a Home Theater and Klipsch Synergy speakers...2004

...entire fabric of space and time tears and I am spinning through a dimension of sight a dimension of SOUND...next stop...the Klipsch-McIntosh-EICO-NOSValve-JuicyMusicAudio-Outlaw Audio-Yamaha-Toshiba-Sony-Nakamichi, popbumper-BEC-Klipsch Forum-Klipsch-Zone! Yiiiikes...(thanks by the way...[:o] [:P] [:)]...)...Bill

'60 Sears mono record player -TT inside, one speaker in the front

'65 Motorola (I think) circle of sound stereo

'70 Bast*rd Heresy's two/way with 1,000 cycle horn- Dyna PAT 4 ST120- AR TT Shure V15

'72 Vert Cornwalls unfinished, MOD 7T preamp/ MOD 15 amps - Empire TT W/ Shure

'75 Horz CW's walnut, unfinished Heresy's center, running four Cornwalls as flanks, replaced MOD 15's with 2 DC300's, continue MOD 7T pre

'77 Khorns, same Crowns, preamp, B&O cart on the Empire

'771/2 Picked up 4 LaS, (2 black, 1stained,1plain) Khorns flank, 2 LaS center, 2 LaS rear, Dyna Quadaptor...same amps, TT and B&O cart. It was '77 Quad Man!

'78 or '79 Sold the 7T (fool) dumped the Khorns & LaS - picked up Heresy's So now running 4 CW's flank, 2 H for center

'79-80 Holman Pre, Luxman M117 power amp, same speaker array, Sony CD player(think that was the year)

'82 Lux CD player - same other stuff

90' Picked up second H pair - POS Adcom CD player

2000 second M117 power amp, Later model Lux CD player

2005 to present - Merlin Preamp, 2 Lux M117's (BTL), Luxman MQ 60 PP tube amp, heavily braced '75 CW mods (alcorns) with Altec 511b/902-16A, BEC tweeters, and wonderful JWC crossovers, two stock '73 CW verts staying with a friend, 2 Heresy in one bedroom, 2 in my work shop.

Whoo. Wish I had not started this reply, but it was kind of a fun trip down Klipsch memory-lane.

Still have (retired) the Marantz MOD 15's (Saul's first SS) and the Empire stashed somewhere.

Terry