Best speakers for 400-500 bucks

dakayus

Hey guys I want to do this right and not mess up again. Is the heresy the best you can get for about 400-500 bucks? I don't want to end up buying speakers again like I have been doing. How about the KG series or Klipsch legendary series? Ahh!!! I hate being an audiophile, all this upgrading is killing me =D

can't go wrong with vintage Hersey's. someone on the forum bought a set of herseys for 250....not sure what generation they were....not sure when klipsch stopped using k-55 and went to k-53's and when they stopped using k-77's and went to k-79's (I think)

it is not impossible to get a pair of lascala's for 500 bucks. I paid 500 bucks for my 1986 models, and 670.00 for my 1978 models.

if you can get a local pick deal going...you can put the shipping money into more speaker.

$500 can often get you more speaker than the Heresy. Heresys are nice, but often you can find a pair of Quartet, Fortes, Chorus, or even Cornwalls or LaScalas if you are patient. I have paid as little as $450 for Chorus (had to do a binding post repair, but once I did that, they were good to go), and have seen $500-600 LaScalas and Cornwalls on occasion. Patience can be a virtue - and if there ever was a time to be on the hunt at estate sales/garage sales/auctions/ebay and such, it is now, as many clear out the unwanteds during "spring cleaning".

With patience, $500 can get you a LOT of speaker. Maybe not the best cabinets, but the speakers are solid and easy to service if needed. I guess it depends on how much of a hurry you are in.

My brother went by Golden Pawn in Tulsa, OK to see those Cornwalls for $500 but he didn't want to bother with veneering them. That would be pretty good bang for the buck. I would sit on the cash ad a little bit more to it and get a speaker with a klipsch folded bass horn. IMHO the folded bass horn is where the genius of klipsch really comes out. Post a wanted ad on Audiogon or maybe your local paper. You never know what kind of response you could get.....

oh yeah also what are the rankings for all those speakers?

I think the Klipschorns are at the top then la scala and I have absolutely NO idea past that. I'm using my RF-3's right now and they just don't have the right sound i'm looking for. The sound is just too concentrated in a specific frequency it seems like, but it has a lot of bass.

rankings...good idea...I did one for horn tweeters last week....anyone want to do a speaker hit parade inclusive of version changes (hersey I, II, III,etc)

I think most of the advice about being patient is right. From what I see right now is that prices of Klipsch Heritage are on the DOWN side, except for Cornwalls, they seem the same or just a bit higher than normal. Why that happens I don't know, is it the weather, people going outside more, not playing stereo as much, too many speakers for sale, I don't know what the answer is. Heresy's seem to go up and down the most, last fall I saw used H2's sell for $600. to $675. a pair used, now a pair just sold for $250., you go figure. You have alot of ways to go, the other guys are right, be patient, and wait and search the forum alittle.

The Best bang for your dollar, IMO, would be the Fortes! Usually 350-475.00...........

That being said, try to buy locally or a local seller close by (if buying off of E***). As others have stated, take your time, and trust your ears to what sounds good to You!. Good Luck!

Dakayus, between the Heresys, I like the 2 a little more than the Hersesy I. It has a little more bass and was designed to be a stand alone speaker set all the way. The original H700 and H1000 Heresys were designed to go in between a set of Khorns or other large Heritage(as a center speaker,) so Klipsch was not too worried about their relative weak bass. They slowly evolved to what we have now.

You also can score a set of Fortes in that price range. They have a more commanding bass, and they also function better in many HT and tight space situations due to their tall configuration relative to the Heresys. I like the Fortes a little more.

Similar speakers from other manufacturers include the JBL L100 Centuries, Pioneer HPM 100s, and Altec Boleros. All of these speakers were hitting the price range(or a little lower), quality, performance, and sales figures the Heresy I occupied in the '70s, and they can be found for $100 to $500.

Ah yes, Sheltie Dave has it right. If you are going to use SS power, the JBL100 is a good choice (I own a pair). If you are going to do tube/SS the Forte's would be my choice...I own these also. Source will play a factor, and amplification is important.

Used Cornwalls are defienitely the best choice for around $600 in decent condition, and $800 for good ones. As for Heresys, I will sell you mine if you really want a pair. $300 with original crossovers or $450 with upgrades. Great sound, but a little shy on the bass.