The other brand upgrade.

Speedball

For anyone with an SV subwoofer like mine an upgraded driver is available. Anyone with input about this upgrade would be appreciated... http://www.svsound.com/products-parts-plus12_3woofer2.cfm

Recently I've been thinking about trading my 2039+ off for an amp or preamp. My Klipsch with music seem to have plenty of bass. I need to try a couple movies without it first though, I've got a feeling thats where the sub could be needed most, but on the other hand a tube Pre or something seems interesting.....?......

Once you watch a movie with your mains set to large and no sub, you'll rethink your decision to sell your sub.

Yea,

no kidding. Pop in something like Terminator-3(something with a

lot of sound effects) and it wont take you long to realize the movie

sounds drastically different.

That actually happened to me once. I unknowingly popped in SW-EpIII on a

friday night with my sub turned off, and it only took me about 5 seconds into the opening

battle scene to realize something was VERY wrong......LOL

Buckeye, what happened to you won't be as drastic as what he is proposing. When you didn't have your sub on, rour receiver was still set up like it was there. Everything below your crossover was wiped out along with the LFE channel. If you set your mains to large, you would have gotten alot of what you were missing back. HOWEVER, even my RF-7's when set to large can not reproduce the subsonics in today's movie soundtracks. To me, the center channel and sub are the 2 most important pieces in the HT audio puzzle.

For SVS owners who have the PCi woofers, here's another great upgrade!!

http://www.svsound.com/products-parts-nsdwoofer.cfm

There are some reports that SVS initially said that the nsd woofer has some similar characteristics to the former plus drivers. Not sure if that is hype but this would also be a great bang for the buck upgrade for SVS owners.

My two upgrade woofs are already ordered for my large box that is quite "musical" with my Heritage and Altecs, and as a result, my SVS is not going anywhere.

On the other hand Speedball, I used to own RF7s (DeanGd), and they really benefitted from a tube preamp. So, selling your sub so that you can pick up a tube pre poses an interesting dilemna..............

Carl.

Probably not worth it imo, just buy the ultra if you want an upgrade. Even the ultra is hard to tell for most people. SVS is making their own subs to save time and money and ultimately have more control over their product. These are great things that would hope for in such a respected company, but I'm pretty sure the db.3 is only measurably better, not audible better. It has a lower DCR so it will sound louder at the same gain, but probably doest have much more, if any, headroom than the older db.2 Other differences are the basket and cone color???

"Probably not worth it imo, just buy the ultra if you want an upgrade. Even the ultra is hard to tell for most people. SVS is making their own subs to save time and money and ultimately have more control over their product. These are great things that would hope for in such a respected company, but I'm pretty sure the db.3 is only measurably better, not audible better. It has a lower DCR so it will sound louder at the same gain, but probably doest have much more, if any, headroom than the older db.2 Other differences are the basket and cone color???"

I'm assuming your comments are only directed towards the plus driver upgrade, not the replacement for the ISD woofers. Regardless, I think your conclusion that a driver replacement is not a worthwhile upgrade is premature at this point.

Maybe the "ultra" sound is hard to tell for most people, but I have heard an audible difference between the three different lines of SVS subs beyond increased headroom with every step in the line. Even bass drivers sound differently from each other, and we won't honestly know if increased output will be the only benefit until some people can listen to the newer drivers.

It is much less of a hassle (and maybe cheaper) for some existing SVS owners to see if they can upgrade to near the next level by swapping out drivers as opposed to selling their existing 60-150 pound sub and buying the next line up.

Again, increased spl or capability may be the only benefits realized by upgrading drivers (as opposed to the sound quality), but we just do not know yet. Given the reasonable upgrade price, it seems a low risk to take as far as upgrades go. After all, some in here have spent more on switching out tubes, interconnects or speaker wire - than either driver upgrade will run. And as far as my various system upgrades have gone, this goes in that category.

Carl.

P.S. In the interest of full disclosure, OneTwoMany - are you affiliated in any way with TC Sounds?

I have it ordered for NSD and we will see whether it's a snake oil or really upgrade at the beginning of July. SVS offers 45days satisfaction guarantee anyway, you can always return it if the new driver does not offer enough boost for quality