H/K 430 Twin Power problem

jhamer9

I'm not sure if anyone knows much about this receiver, but I wanted to throw out this problem I just discoverd. I was listening to an FM radio station, went outside of my house, came back in and the music wasn't playing out of the left channel speaker (left if your looking at the front of the stereo).

I checked all of the connections and everything seemed OK. I then pressed in the mono button and I started hearing music again out of both channels? Disengaged it and only music from one speaker again. I did this several times and could only hear music very very faintly from the left if I turned the balance all the way left and turned up the volume. Again, extremly faint from the speaker, but it was playing.

Anyone ever have this happen? Any ideas on what the problem might be? Can I safely listen to the stereo with the mono button engaged? I stopped listening as I wasn't sure it was OK to listen to FM stereo with the mono engaged. I figured it was for mono recordings only. Is that correct? I've only had this stereo for a short while (I bought it used).

It could also be the balance knob too - as pots exhibit that kind of behavior all the time. The mono switch bypasses the balance knob because it sums the L and R signals into a signal mono signal, which would make sense with the behavior you describe.

If you do a search on the forums there is a thread detailing all the steps for replacing fuses and cleaning everything. Or maybe somebody more familiar with the thread can post the link...

Thanks for the replies. I haven't cleaned the switches yet. So that may be the problem. When I tried it again last night it worked fine, go figure. It's got to be a dirty switch somewhere.

I've noticed some static on a few of the knobs and with some back and forth motions it clears up. I think have a link to a how to guide on cleaning them somewhere. Thanks again.

You'll want to pick up a product called De-Oxit. It is specifically meant to clean things like switches and pots. GIve all the switches and pots a good spray, and then work the pots and switches back and forth. It might also make sense on the pots to push down slightly as you rotate the pot clockwise, and pull slightly turning as you turn counter-clockwise. You amy need to spray and twist several times before you finally clean each pot or switch fully.

Don't forget about the internal fuses. I know that is not the problem that you are describing, but worth mentioning anyway. There are two external fuses, and two fuses on the chassis that are easily identified with the cover off. All four fuses are rated at 3 amps. I replaced all 4 and have not had a problem since.

BRK

Thanks for all the feedback. I got some control/contact cleaner and lub at Radio Shack. That really helped all the buttons out and I have not heard the problem again.

I'll replace the fuses as well just to be on the safe side, to maybe head off any future problems.