rf-7 vs rf-63

kg5.5

I have the opportunity to purchase some new in box RF-7's or I could get a new set of RF-63s (yes I said six - threes) for my budget amount.

The Klipsch engineers seem pretty proud of the new tweeter/horn in the RF-63/83. Would you lean toward the updated horn, or the brute force of the RF-7? Obviously I can't listen to them side by side. Big bass isn't a real problem for me with the 63s, a sub can handle that.

How much can you get the 63s for? If its the approximately the same price as the 7s with Dean's x-overs, do the 7s.

BTW, the Klipsch eBay store has been selling off loads of 7s lately. They've been going for great prices, too.

I think a few forum members here have bought older model speakers, some even bought used ones...

Lets see, get the top of the line speaker as of six months ago for $1200 or the new second in line for the same price. Advertising hype aside, do you really think that the latest version is that different? It would have to be a huge step forward to make the second in line equal to the previous top of the line.

Moral, get the RF7's if you have heard them and like them.

The Ebay store would be my source for the 7s, 90 day warranty.

90 day warranty,whoopie,for an item they say may have imperfections/refurb etc,not me.did you notice he said rf7 new in box for 1200?

Jay,I may be in a minority but I like the 7s horn just dandy,I don't want it changed,I think its perfectly smooth.

There is no major flaw with the rf-7 horns but the thing is that with every new line comes new ideas that have been implemented and tweeked from the existing line. It says alot for Klipsch to keep its old and improve upon the new all the same.

Fish, you maybe somewhat of a minority on the Klipsch forum by what I read here but check out some of the other Home Theater and 2-Channel Audio forums and you'll find the majority RF-7 owners seem to be very happy with the RF-7's the way they are. I'm fine with how the RF-7's horn is and have no problem with it, unless it's on a bright source, than it can drive some ears to be sensitive to them? The trick to any Klipsch speakers is to keep them away from a bright source/gear. Maybe some have more sensitive ears than others that can't handle the RF-7's more in your face presentation on the horns, for those people, the RF-83 probably will work out better for them, or possibly the DeanG way for those RF-7 owners that feel the horn is too much.

The trick to any Klipsch speakers is to keep them away from a bright source/gear.

That pretty much said it all.There's no doubt you can make the 7s sound like crap from the top to bottom end.I've been through at least $30K worth of gear in auditions to find the best combo for my ears.

Well I did it, purchased the RF-63s today from a dealer. The Ebay Klipschstore was just too much of an unknown. I have to have my cabinets pristine, and they couldn't promise that.

Now, compared to the KG5.5s. I've learned 2 things. The KG5.5s are not bad speakers, in any way shape or form. In fact, the RF-63s can't touch the bass the KGs put out. Not even close. However, the 63 is a superior speaker. I listened to several of my favorite CDs tonight and heard things I'd never heard before in the music.

I then went to the video store and rented Firewall. Fortunately its soundtrack was excellent and this is where I was really impressed! I'm really going to enjoy watching movies with these things. They are so smooth, not tiring at all.

Also, they are quite a bit more efficient than the KGs. I did have all my speakers set at 0 on the levels (kg2.2 rs-35s). When I calibrated tonight with my SPL meter I had to turn up the center and surrounds 5 or 6 clicks to keep up with 63s. I'll be adding a RC-64 later.

So there you go, I think I made a wise choice. The 83s are definately better, but I think they would have been too much for my room.

best of listen experience you will have with the rf63. Would the rf-83 be better, I say that is debateable as they are the same until the 1600 hertz crossover which even then is debateable as they go 3 hertz deeper and have a slight efficency. I have the rf-83 but now that I think of it the rf-63 might have been a better idea? it is a bit smaller and stuff and I use them for my dormroom [;)] meh gotta scare the neighbors. Heh I tried to keep my speakers as secret as possible, when my neighbor challenged me they did not know. Then ummm yeah they turned to full and I was barely 1/8 power.... I yawned and basically threw a nuclear bomb at their logitech speakers. All was peaceful and quiet after my challenge from then on [6]

Keep the 63's

buy the rc-64

then buy rf83's down the line and put the 63's in the back.

Klipsch...for some reason, did not come up with a sorround speaker that incorporates the new tweeter...which is a HUGE shame.

I think having 83 64 83 + 63's sorround, would beat the pants off anything else klipsch is offering in the new REFIV lineup.

Something has happened to my RF-63s. I never believed in speaker breakin, but I'm not imagining this. The bass output of these speakers has increased substantially. I've probably listened to them for about 10 hours, some with the same source of music repeatedly. The bass output hass gone way up. I mean so much so I have to check to see if the sub is on.

I was having a bit of buyer's remorse because my KG 5.5s had so much more bottom end, but not any more. I guess they'll be skeptics who read this, I would be. But I'm convinced those cones are moving more than they did out of the box.

Anyway, the RF-63 is an awesome speaker. I absolutely love them.

Actually, I noticed a bass improvement on the rf83 too. This was a day after I had them around 110 db peaking 115 db. I had those cones really moving but the day after I was like hmm did I break my speakers to get more bass? I have no subwoofer so I can evaluate the lowrange without clouding my judgement. I think the cones are extra stiff when they come out the factory.