Anybody have experience with a dual 701 turntable?

dp1954

I recall all the reviews in the 70s about the new belt drive TT. I thought that they where much better in terms of rumble, wow and flutter etc. The belt added a level of insulation between the motor and platter. I do not understand what the advantage of an idler drive is today.

I think it's all about mass, and isolating the motor in a huge plinth. The idler wheels are dead nuts accurate on the speed, whereas the belt tables are always playing catch up.

You might want to read this thread when you have a few spare weeks of time on your hands:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1075644493&read&keyw&zzjean+nantais

It's the longest running thread in Agon history. I bought my Thorens off the guy that started that thread, and he probably converted 100 people over to the Lenco way of life.

Mike

I dont understand why you say that the Belt drives are not accurate. Many if not most of the top TT today and in the past such as Rega, MicroSeiki etc. are belt drives with no problems with speed control or accuracy.

because as the belts stretch or change shape they lose some (perhaps miniscule) of their accuracy whereas the direct drive manytimes are right on or can be infinitely adjusted to compensate for tempurature or anyhting else (to a degree)

Bill

lo123.

This is the first time that I have dealt with this guy. If all turns out well I will post his contact info. dual tables is the only thing that he messes with and I"m sure he could fix yours with no problems. I should have my turntable by the first of next week. It was shipped yesterday.

dave

Sorry for the bit of diversion here but:

I am starting to see a common theme here and the psychology behind it is somewhat fascinating. I got bit by the upgrade bug once on (before, maybe?) the Klipsch forum and started expanding my speaker collection. Then I starting buying vintage audio equipment including ancient amplifiers and turntables. Then I delved into the vintage car business and have a 68 Mustang convertible still waiting for my full attention to its restoration. And I have 5 horses running around.

Are we all trying to relive (or live for the first time) our childhood fantasies, desires, and/or memories? I have ran into so many people who enjoy this hobby and also are members of the classic car, horse, or motorcyle (another one of mine) hobbies. Obviously, I have far too many hobbies to devote enough attention to while keeping the kids, girlfriend, and employer happy.

Well, I have been doing some reading on the idler wheel tables, and hear that if setup properly, and if they are quiet, they can destroy most modern higher-priced tables. This would include the L70, L75 and L78 Lenco's. I bought a TD-124 in immaculate condition with a huge custom made plinth. The table weighs almost 60 lbs! I also just bought a mint SME 3009 arm and a Denon DL-103 cartridge for it.

I am hoping this combination does it for me. I should have it all back together in a day or so, and then am waiting on my BBX to come back from Mark with the Cream option. It should arrive next Tuesday. I'll get pics posted soon, and will also post my impressions. If I find that the improvements are minimal, I will probably sell the whole lot and go back to the reliable, underappreciated Duals I have been using my whole adult life.

Mike

If you don't hear a huge difference between your old Dual and the TD-124/SME/Denon then you might as well sell your entire system and buy an ipod with a Bose docking station!!

Well, I have been doing some reading on the idler wheel tables, and hear that if setup properly, and if they are quiet, they can destroy most modern higher-priced tables. This would include the L70, L75 and L78 Lenco's. I bought a TD-124 in immaculate condition with a huge custom made plinth. The table weighs almost 60 lbs! I also just bought a mint SME 3009 arm and a Denon DL-103 cartridge for it.

I am hoping this combination does it for me. I should have it all back together in a day or so, and then am waiting on my BBX to come back from Mark with the Cream option. It should arrive next Tuesday. I'll get pics posted soon, and will also post my impressions. If I find that the improvements are minimal, I will probably sell the whole lot and go back to the reliable, underappreciated Duals I have been using my whole adult life.

Mike

If you don't hear a huge difference between your old Dual and the TD-124/SME/Denon then you might as well sell your entire system and buy an ipod with a Bose docking station!!

LOL! I was wondering when you were gonna join in. [:D]

Anarchist.

You just might be right. I'm starting to think that I need to quit reading these forums because it just feeds my obession. I'm in the spot now where I"ve amassed more than I can/ever will use Everytime I read something 'new' about a mod/upgrade I feel that I just have to try it and end up buying stuff on a whim. Like I did with the ct125 tweeters. I'm sure that they are very good because lots of folks around here liked them, but in the end when push came to shove and I had the backs off my cornwalls to put in new crossovers and upgrade the wiring I just couldn't bring myself to install them, not even just to try. I just love the sound of them the way they are, especially with the new xovers/wire and I guess I'm just a purist at heart. Plus my corns are 75's with the alnico drivers and I really like them. Just to add another question to your observation, are you by chance into other old things? My wife and myself have wanted an old country home since we got married 29 years ago and finally got to the point 3 years ago with the kids grown that we could start doing a little extra for ourselves. We purchased antique furniture over the years in anticipation of someday just doing it. We found our dream house 3 years ago and the time/price/location was right so I sold my modern home and bought an old plantation home in the mts of VA. It was in good condition to start with, but we went over it and upgraded/ restored whatever needed to be done and now have the house we always wanted plus some acreage to go with it. Now with the cars, I sort of inherited that bug from my dad. He'll be 80 yrs old next week, and he has a 55 studebaker speedster, 1961 chrysler 300, a 1962 thunderbird plus 2 69 el caminos. The chrysler is in pieces, studebaker needs some work, thunderbird is mint, and he drives the caminos. I'll get all of that mess when he passes on which I really wish was never. He's a great person. He was also into audio when he was younger and I gave him a pair of klf20's about 3 years ago that he just loves. The horses I like, but that's really my wifes thing. The vette is my baby... she can't drive it because its a stick. But yes there does seem to be a common thread among us. Great observation. Am I reliving my childhood? Maybe, but your as old as you feel and I feel 18. And yes, I am buying stuff now that I wanted but couldn't afford when I was 18. My kids will have one heck of a yardsale.

Well, I have been doing some reading on the idler wheel tables, and

hear that if setup properly, and if they are quiet, they can destroy

most modern higher-priced tables. This would include the L70, L75 and

L78 Lenco's. I bought a TD-124 in immaculate condition with a huge

custom made plinth. The table weighs almost 60 lbs! I also just bought

a mint SME 3009 arm and a Denon DL-103 cartridge for it.

I am hoping this combination does it for me. I should have it all

back together in a day or so, and then am waiting on my BBX to come

back from Mark with the Cream option. It should arrive next Tuesday.

I'll get pics posted soon, and will also post my impressions. If I find

that the improvements are minimal, I will probably sell the whole lot

and go back to the reliable, underappreciated Duals I have been using

my whole adult life.

Mike

If you don't hear a huge difference between your old Dual and the

TD-124/SME/Denon then you might as well sell your entire system and buy

an ipod with a Bose docking station!!

[:$]